AZ Barbeque.com

FIRE IN THE HOLE!

Discussion started on

azkitch

Eileen's re-launch, combined with my first attempt at Minion's Method. It was a failure, in that the pork loin was done in about 2 hours. So I don't think I had the cooking chamber temps very low. My first guess would be abt. 300 ish. On the other hand...was it ever TASTY! My 13 yr. old daughter made a 'taters & green beans salad, which was a great side dish. Rub was my own concoction, lots of chili powder and cumin, some pepper, onion and garlic dust (dammit, woman, buy granulated!) sage and basil potpourri...Kingsford processed and formed...leftover from the long gone Weber Kettle. My hobby wants me to get a PT job!

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - September 14, 2008, 05:59:58 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azkitch

Oh, yeah...Official taster, waiting for seconds...

[attachment deleted by admin]
#2 - September 14, 2008, 06:13:06 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

:D  Great recap.  Yes, PT job certainly helps the hobby. 

Sounds like a family affair which is great, nothing like getting the entire family into the passion of BBQ..  ;)
#3 - September 14, 2008, 06:34:19 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Thom Emery

Try cooking Spares on it

There are too many airleaks to go Low and Slow for long hours
#4 - September 14, 2008, 07:15:57 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

KidCurry

How did you go about the minion method?

I have found that without a basket it is hit or miss as to how well the minion method will work in my off set.  Once I made a charcoal basket it works rather well.  I still have to keep a close eye on temps and adjust the air intakes as needed but it will go 3 or so hours on a single fill running at 250 + or - 20.

I have made a few mods to my hondo for this weekends cook.  I lowered my fire basket (I think I had raised it too high before) and redesigned my baffle. I am pretty sure I had too much bafflage ???  going on.  I am hoping I get better draw this cook, I had trouble getting it up  :o  to temp the last time.

You can just see the basket I made in the firebox.  Two sides are expanded metal the other two sides are solid steel. (no real reason except I ran out of expanded metal ;))

I am sort of a temp freak.  I like to know exactly what my temps are at all times and across the entire cooker.  I would suggest picking up even a inexpensive digital therm and using it to monitor what you pit temps are.  You can check how accurate the therm is by sticking it in boiled water.  It not the best test but if it is reading way off of 212 or so then you will know how far to adjust your temps.  Like the temp gauge in the door of the Hondo, it runs about 50 degrees hotter than at grate level so even thought it is off, I can still use it to accurately tell what my grate level temp is.

The food looks good BTW!

#5 - September 19, 2008, 09:25:29 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Members: