AZ Barbeque.com

AZBBQ club members helping each other

Discussion started on

azcolt45

I had the great pleasure of meeting Lizard 333 AKA Doug this last Saturday. He was helping out a neighbor that could not afford catering to their wedding. Doug called out for help cooking as his BBQ was not big enough to cook everything at once. AzCOLT45 (AKA Colt) responded to the request of help.  
We met at the reception hall at noon and started cooking.  50 racks of ribs and 110 chicken thighs. Doug brought a bunch of oak down from Flagstaff to use for the smoking session. I had never used oak before, but really liked the way it burned and smelled. Everything went great and all the meat turned out wonderful. No pic's of me, I had the camera
I really enjoyed meeting Doug and his wife. We had a great afternoon of smoking and swaping tales.
The food tasted great and the wedding a sucess

Doug and his wife Kat

Thanks
Colt
#1 - October 14, 2009, 06:41:10 pm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:45:10 pm by azcolt45 »
Trailer mounted Custom offset stick burner
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
5' Square fire pit w/grates 
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder"

AzJohnnyC

Which brings me to something else Colt has done that's making a difference. A while ago, in another thread, I mentioned quitting smoking. Colt's advice was to look at it positively. Not that I'm quitting something, but that I'm starting something...BECOMING a non-smoker. Seeing it that way has helped a bunch. It's like reaching a new goal, instead of the negative "quitting" terminology. I just wanted to take this opportunity, as I'm in week two of my quest to be a non-smoker, to publicly say "thanks" to Colt.
#2 - October 14, 2009, 06:52:04 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

azkitch

Great looking ribs there. Love both those trailers!! Colt, what are the handles--actually, both sets...What are the handles to open the top half, and what are those handle for on the bottom half up front?
#3 - October 14, 2009, 06:55:07 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azcolt45

WAY TO GO John. Keep up the positive thinking. I am SURE that you "have" become a non-smoker

Colt
#4 - October 14, 2009, 06:57:30 pm
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

jmcrig

Very nice looking food. Looks as if it all turned out well.
#5 - October 14, 2009, 07:14:49 pm

KidCurry

Sweet!
#6 - October 14, 2009, 07:25:06 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

azcolt45

Great looking ribs there. Love both those trailers!! Colt, what are the handles--actually, both sets...What are the handles to open the top half, and what are those handle for on the bottom half up front?

Kitch, My rig can be used as a smoker, using the offset firebox,   or used as a grill, To use it as a grill I open the whole lid and build a fire on a the fire grate below the main grate for the food, The handles raise and lower the fire for controlling the fire when grilling.

There are 2 small doors in the top lid to work on the food without opening the whole lid

Or the whole lid can be raised to get coplete access to the food

This small red handle is the stack damper

The front handles raise and lower the lower fire/hot coals grate to control the grilling temp on the upper grate

#7 - October 14, 2009, 07:39:18 pm
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Colt & Doug, that is awesome of you guys.  Wish I had known about it, I would have tried to be there as well.

Always love the fact that our members have such big hearts and are always willing to help out where needed.

Great job guys, it's all about Karma...  ;)
#8 - October 14, 2009, 07:42:48 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Quiggs

WOW guys!! What a nice thing to do....  I love the rigs to.  the option to open the whole rig or just small doors is a great idea!!
#9 - October 14, 2009, 08:05:20 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

AzQer

Way to go guys you all rock and those rigs are you kidding me WOW.
#10 - October 16, 2009, 01:34:05 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

azkitch

Beautiful setup!! 
Thanks!
#11 - October 17, 2009, 06:42:46 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azkitch

Ah. They look kind of like wheelbarrow handles. The lid lifters. They aren't anything in particular, are they. Just shaped...
#12 - October 17, 2009, 06:44:23 pm
CBJ # 53779

azcolt45

Yeah Kitch, just shaped. I made them so they would look similar to the arms on the other side that stick out and accept the cables from the garage door springs that help lift the big lid.

pic from the back showing the lifting arms that mimic the big lid lifting handles

Lifting arms connected to garage door spring setup to assist in lifting the big lid.

Colt
#13 - October 18, 2009, 12:13:32 am
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:26:43 am by azcolt45 »
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Lizard333

Hey I just wanted to thank you again for all the help!!!  If I had been paid for the event, I would have been able to do it with some warmers rented, but I was already in the negative as it was.....having to drive from Flagstaff and all....  Without your help, I never would have been able to do it!!  It really was a blast, and I had a great time doing it.  The only thing that kinda sucked was the bride was hell on the camera man, his very first wedding, and it took an hour and half to take the pictures after the wedding.  I was told to have food ready to serve at 4:15, which we accomplished, thanks Colt, but we did not end up serving for an hour later.  This meant that the BB's which were perfect at 4:15, became overcooked in the "holding patern".  All in all though it was a HUGE success and blast. 

Just remember Colt, ANYTIME you need something, just let me know.  Good to have you as a new friend.
#14 - October 18, 2009, 05:11:18 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I like the set up Colt...  Great job..

As for weddings, I have never been to one where we didn't serve a hour late...
#15 - October 18, 2009, 09:17:40 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Members: