AZ Barbeque.com

WSM clean-up

Discussion started on

AZWildcat

At which point do you start to clean up/out your WSM? I'm really getting build up on the walls, but I don't know how (or if i should) clean it out without "damaging" the seasoned smoker.  Might sound like a stupid question.......any advice would be appreciated!!! Thx!
#1 - April 12, 2010, 09:51:19 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

KidCurry

Your supposed to clean them out?  :D

I just knock off the loose stuff and leave the rest alone, maybe wipe a greasy mess with a towel.  I guess if it was WAY bad I would just spray it off, the big stuff should come off yet leave the "firm" seasoning on the walls.  What ever you do, i would light a fire it right after the cleaning to dry it all out.
#2 - April 13, 2010, 09:51:56 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

AZWildcat

I dunno, my WSM door fell off the other day when I lifted the lid, and when it fell to the ground it seemed to have a thin hard shell of "seasoning" that broke off of it. No harm, just made me think, maybe thought I was missing something. I keep my grates clean and my firebox area free and clear, just wondered.

BTW Kid, do you have a diffuser in your UDS?
#3 - April 13, 2010, 10:41:17 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

KidCurry

No I don't...never have had burning issues with it.  I mean things get dark/grill marked/crispy on the bottom but in all the cooking I have done on it, I have not seen the need. YMMV  ;)
#4 - April 13, 2010, 01:05:26 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

jmcrig

I've had a 18.5" WSM for over 20 years. Took it to the car wash once. It had set for two months and had some green crap growin' in it. Lesson learned, never let it set unused for more than a couple weeks. ;D ;D
#5 - April 13, 2010, 06:22:58 pm

force

Mine is organic....... I never clean it.... except the grills
#6 - April 14, 2010, 06:20:13 am
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

bbqphx.com

I clean mine after every cook but I'm probably a bit OCD...Not the interior per se, I do the water pan, ash catcher, grates and the exterior using 'greased lightning' or the free degreaser I got from Sam's Club.
#7 - April 14, 2010, 07:10:27 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

jim

Once a year -- flexable putty knife to run around the inside diameter, scotch brite the rest. The inside of the lid, I place it upside down in a cardboard box and spray with oven cleaner. After several applications and elbow grease --- down to porcalin. Freashly cleaned and ready to go.
Every contest -- all racks wire brushed and wiped, outside window cleaner, alway's look new when taken care of.
Covered and ready for the next contest -----
anal and know it
jim
#8 - April 20, 2010, 01:49:52 pm

smitty250

I bought mine from Jaybird last summer. Do you think I want to get rid of all that seasoning he built up in there?!? That's GOLD man!!  ;D
#9 - April 20, 2010, 02:10:32 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

jim

Arrrrr --- clean it
#10 - April 20, 2010, 02:43:48 pm

n2dabluebbq

don't have a wsm but i found out that if its up to temp and you knock the top grate into the water pan and knock that over, it has a tendency to steam clean the interior. now my research only involved a 22 1/2 so a 18"  may have different results.
#11 - April 21, 2010, 12:50:37 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

jmcrig

don't have a wsm but i found out that if its up to temp and you knock the top grate into the water pan and knock that over, it has a tendency to steam clean the interior. now my research only involved a 22 1/2 so a 18"  may have different results.
Could you check that out for us also? ;D
#12 - April 21, 2010, 05:17:02 pm

Members: