AZ Barbeque.com

Back to where I started...

Discussion started on

smitty250

Well it's been a fun almost 2 years competing now. My first comp was Prescott BBQ Days 9/09 - Chris and I were cooking on a Pro Q, and 2 WSM's (1 is mine and I borrowed 1 from Jaybird). We got 2 walks at that comp (chicken and ribs). We definitely learned alot those two days!! I became infatuated with these trailer smokers that Mike and a few other competitors were using and I just had to have one!! I met with Mike and ordered a custom Diamondplate FAT 40 loaded - It was the most beautiful thing I ever saw, chrome stacks chugging smoke in the early morning! I competed with her (The PIG RIG) for about a year. For some of you that don't know Loot N' Booty BBQ, let's just say we like to have a good time at competitions. Well I'm not getting any younger and throwing a log on the PIG RIG every hour can get exhausting. I started looking for "easier" ways to compete. I put the PIG RIG up for sale and she went pretty fast to Tom and Paul from IAB 30 BBQ. She will be missed!! I looked into pellet smokers and the Whole Hog Louisiana Grill caught my eye. While I had one on order - come to find out they were on back order - I borrowed one to compete on and used it for 3 comps. It was OK but didn't have the temp control I was looking for. While strolling thru BBQ Island in Tempe one afternoon I saw a thing of beauty. This tank of a smoker called the YODER! I bought one. After competing on her twice (with 3 control panels replaced and excessive worrying about temp) I returned it. Now I need something to compete on. I ended up ordering 2 22.5 WSMs to add to the arsenal of an 18.5 WSM and Chris's Pro Q. Guess what - we are back to where we started. My wife thinks I'm a little crazy, I think she may be right! Anyways I just wanted to share a little story with ya'll and hope you have some good Friday afternoon reading.

Happy Smokin'

Smitty 
Loot N' Booty BBQ
#1 - July 15, 2011, 09:29:52 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

azkitch

Great story, Smitty! Good luck goin' forward...we know the quality product you guys put out...and the quality party you throw!
#2 - July 15, 2011, 10:05:51 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

toys4dlr

You would be more like Jaybird if you kept all the old cookers along the way.

#3 - July 15, 2011, 10:16:47 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

jmcrig

If you hadn't tried each and every one of them, you would always wonder. I keep going back to my WSM's. But, one of these days I will have a Good-One. ;D
#4 - July 15, 2011, 10:33:49 am

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Great story Smitty....Good luck in the future
#5 - July 15, 2011, 12:21:08 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

RudedoggAZ

Good stuff buddy... ugh, my liver hurts just thinking about some of those past comps. Great times! Looking fwd to more!
#6 - July 15, 2011, 02:22:15 pm

Crashs Wife

Nothing wrong with keeping it simple.... I love our WSM's and Pro Q's... though the drum is fast becoming a new favorite.  I can't tell you how many smokers we have purchase just that we currently have 9 here on the island.... Yep, we're crazy!!

Keep smokin!!

Lisa
#7 - July 15, 2011, 03:25:06 pm
Crash's Better Half :)
AKA Pit B!t@h

AzJohnnyC

Crazy is all part of it.  And I know I really enjoy competing with (against) you guys, so whatever it takes to stay in the game!  Nice story.
#8 - July 15, 2011, 07:35:13 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Bam Bam

Thanks for sharing.  It does not matter the hobby, the grass is always greener on the other side, golf especially.  If I just had that white Taylormade driver the ball would go straight, i just know it! LOL!  I have 2 WSM 22.5's as well and I did well in my first comp and of course I am now addicted and shopping for the next big thing.  I keep thinking to myself, Didnt I just walk a couple of times in my first comp, huh, maybe I should just keep these.  You might have just saved me 3500 bucks.  Thanks man!

Bam Bam
#9 - July 16, 2011, 12:17:20 am
Cooking on 2 WSM's 22.5's W/BBQ Guru DigiQ

route66

Nothing wrong with keeping it simple.... I love our WSM's and Pro Q's... though the drum is fast becoming a new favorite.  I can't tell you how many smokers we have purchase just that we currently have 9 here on the island.... Yep, we're crazy!!

Keep smokin!!

Lisa
I don't think of you and Crash as Crazy, I think you ar
#10 - July 16, 2011, 01:36:02 am

Crash

I don't think of you and Crash as Crazy, I think you ar

Hmmmm.....wonder which direction that was headed in. 

Good things can be done on small cookers Smitty.  Hell, we just picked up a nice, little chicken cooker tonight.... 1 Touch Silver for $25.

Thanks for sharing that story dude.  Keep smoking and get those Pro Q's and WSM's dialed in. 
#11 - July 16, 2011, 01:52:25 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AZWildcat

Thanks for sharing.  It does not matter the hobby, the grass is always greener on the other side, golf especially.  If I just had that white Taylormade driver the ball would go straight, i just know it! LOL!  I have 2 WSM 22.5's as well and I did well in my first comp and of course I am now addicted and shopping for the next big thing.  I keep thinking to myself, Didnt I just walk a couple of times in my first comp, huh, maybe I should just keep these.  You might have just saved me 3500 bucks.  Thanks man!

Bam Bam
Cameron, we has a team last year,  Big Roy and The Boys in Prescott, 1st comp out walked with a 2nd in Chicken out of 35ish teams. It was then I realized these boys could cook. They cooked it on an old cooker that they fought with (I know as they were right next to me swearing at it). Anyway, they ditched the smoker made some new UDS's and haven't come close to the same success. Sometimes that next big thing is sitting in your garage or on your back porch, ya just don't realize it. BTW.....my 13yo and I were playing 18 holes the other day and saw a 4-some of teens walking the course. At least 3 of them had those new white drivers. You gotta love advertising........now my boy wants one!
#12 - July 16, 2011, 07:52:29 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Bam Bam

Lol!! Freaking golf has to be far and away the most expensive hobby.  I sure know how to pick em.  Grew up playing hockey (not cheap) and golf (even worse) and now BBQ. Thanks to the BBQ though, I'm pretty much to fat for hockey, so it's getting canceled out! Thanks to golf carts though, I won't be stopping golf anytime soon!  :D :D. I really feel comfortable with my WSM's and I love the flavor I get from them. I still can't totally break away from wanting a BW party, only because its basically a better built/insulated weber, but without the hassle of the racks and the separate lid. When I have those racks filled it turns into a garage sale when I'm pulling things off for foil.  Plus I'm 6'5 185, wait, I mean 385 pounds, :laugh: so a nice tall, yet portable, cabinet smoker sure sounds nice.
#13 - July 16, 2011, 11:50:45 am
Cooking on 2 WSM's 22.5's W/BBQ Guru DigiQ

Funtimebbq

Guess we'll find out if the partying was to stay awake and feed the smoker or not?  Good choice on the WSMs.

Benny
#14 - July 16, 2011, 07:41:12 pm

Members: