AZ Barbeque.com

Dang it!!! I can't decide.............

Discussion started on

AZ KICKIN' QUE

butt I HAVE decided to buy a WSM. I've saved a lil' over $500 for my purchase and have been doing my homework Only to find out that there are some many options. I've narrowed it down to these:

#1 - Buy two 18" and be done with it?

#2 - Buy one 22.5" and one 18.5"?

#3 - Buy one 22.5" and a bunch of meat?

#4 - Buy an 18.5" and a Stoker or DigiQ?

This is driving my nuts.........  I'm not whining though.   :'(  I'm actually glad to be in this position>   :laugh:
I just thought I'd see what your comments were on this delimma.

I'm CJ and I look forward to competing with you very soon.
#1 - March 16, 2010, 01:28:37 pm

RudedoggAZ

I say #2... you can always add the stoker later and that will give ya time to get familiar with the fire, and controlling temp. From what I hear the both sizes hold temp like a champ. Plus, you have different sizes for different applications (if needed) Good Luck!  :)
#2 - March 16, 2010, 02:01:31 pm

AZ KICKIN' QUE

Chris - You make a good point. I'm guessing just one 22 incher is not enough for competition cooking? I know my brother started with two 18 inchers.
#3 - March 16, 2010, 02:14:05 pm

RudedoggAZ

One may be enough, We started our first comp. with 1 ProQ and 2, 18" WSM's. Could have probably gotten by with 1 ProQ and 1 WSM. Anyway, You may want to wait till the 22.5 owners chime in on this thread... They will probably have some more insight on space.
#4 - March 16, 2010, 02:21:05 pm

smitty250

I like option #2 for competing as well - just don't spend all of your money on equipment. You will have registration fees, meat, rubs, marinade, sauces, charcoal, wood, supplies, beer (this is a huge expense for our team!), and other necessary items to buy. It adds up quick!

Are you going to Chandler this weekend? If so come by the Loot N' Booty tent and have a drink with us (as long as it is before 10pm!  ::)) Hope to see you out competing soon!
#5 - March 16, 2010, 02:22:19 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Jaybird

I would save another $100 and buy 2 22.5" WSM's. Then you're set. You don't need no strokem or digi-goo!! But I know how you youngins like playin with puters. ::)
#6 - March 16, 2010, 02:28:19 pm

AZ KICKIN' QUE

Sterling - I'll be at Chandler on Saturday. Working the missus on getting out there Friday night too. I agree with you on all the supplies, especially the brews. I've already accumulated quite a bit thru the times but am sure there will need to be more. And if I had my way, I'd be rollin' out the kegerator at the events.

Jaybird - I thought of two 22 inchers also, but think I would be watching them from the doghouse if I went too far on my purchase. I appreciate your response on the "air-assist" gadgets too. I might be new here but I am not such a young-en anymore. By the way, my brother met you at a comp in Colorado (I think it was CO.) and he was very impressed and had lot's of good things to say about you. I too am in Mesa and also look forward to meeting you soon. Thanks!
#7 - March 16, 2010, 02:38:03 pm

azkitch

Jaybird... and had lot's of good things to say about you.
That's a can't miss...
I'd be rollin' out the kegerator at the events.

You'll be a very popular man...

I thought I'd heard that the 22" WSM sucked up lots of fuel, but I don't remember for sure. Maybe get a 22" WSM and a 26er Kettle...That'd be nice for ribs and chick...

Nah. Nebbr mind. Go 18 and 22, like they suggest. I hope you can come out Friday night and spend the night. Wakin' up on site at 6 or 7 am at a comp--the scented air is incredible. The burning pecan & cooking pork/briskets aroma is simply amazing first thing in the morning.
#8 - March 16, 2010, 11:10:38 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

toys4dlr

Option #5 One 22 WSM and build a Drum.  Under budget and bragging rights to I built that thing.  Don't worry Any moron can build a drum, I know cause I build mine.  ;D

If the wife gets edgy about these purchases, wait til you get hooked.  Then it gets expensive. 

#9 - March 17, 2010, 07:36:14 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Crashs Wife

Better yet, teach the wife and then she gets more hooked then you do!!!!!  I speak from experience!!! :angel:
#10 - March 17, 2010, 11:14:03 am
Crash's Better Half :)
AKA Pit B!t@h

AZ KICKIN' QUE

Lisa - I've already started that. It's going pretty good so far. Keeping her up all night for the longer cooks is going to be a challenge. Got any further suggestions?
#11 - March 17, 2010, 11:34:42 am

Mrs. McFrankenboo

Let her out to a comp and she'll realize how much fun it is and then you will have to put a curfew on her...I speak from experience  :angel: 

As far as the smokers go, you'll end up changing your mind a kazillion times throughout your "career" so it's hard to say.  It would be great if you could borrow some to do a cook of your own and then you would know what kind of space you would need.  As far as the 22" and fuel, I don't think it's a fuel hog.  We like the WSM's, if that helps!
#12 - March 17, 2010, 11:53:42 am

Jaybird

Let her out to a comp and she'll realize how much fun it is and then you will have to put a curfew on her...I speak from experience  :angel: 

As far as the smokers go, you'll end up changing your mind a kazillion times throughout your "career" so it's hard to say.  It would be great if you could borrow some to do a cook of your own and then you would know what kind of space you would need.  As far as the 22" and fuel, I don't think it's a fuel hog.  We like the WSM's, if that helps!

If someone thinks that a 22" WSM is a fuel hog...I got an old shoe and a used hanky I'll sell ya! ::)
#13 - March 17, 2010, 12:02:26 pm

KidCurry

Better yet, teach the wife and then she gets more hooked then you do!!!!!  I speak from experience!!! :angel:

It can happen... :D ;) ???
#14 - March 17, 2010, 12:04:03 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

azkitch

I thought I'd heard that the 22" WSM sucked up lots of fuel, but I don't remember for sure.

All qualifiers present and accounted for! I try not to take chances... ;D

Oh, look. Another one. Like tryin' to pin down a politician!
#15 - March 17, 2010, 09:59:31 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: