Smokers, Grills, Pitts & More > Weber Smokers & Grills

Buying my first WSM 18.5"

(1/4) > >>

Homerfeltheim:
Hello,
Any suggestions, tricks or tips I should know? Also I'll be making a brisket this weekend on it so how do I go about setting this thing up for charcoal and anything else that might be helpful?
Thanks

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert):
I would fill the bottom of the smoker with charcoal and some wood chunks of your choice. Light 10-12 briquettes and put them on top of the Unlit briquetts. Put the lid on and adjust your vents until you get the temp you are looking for. Put the Brisket on an enjoy. My WSM'S run very steady once you get the temp right. I foil my water pan and do not use water.

AZWildcat:

--- Quote from: rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert) on August 26, 2013, 02:35:00 pm ---I would fill the bottom of the smoker with charcoal and some wood chunks of your choice. Light 10-12 briquettes and put them on top of the Unlit briquetts. Put the lid on and adjust your vents until you get the temp you are looking for. Put the Brisket on an enjoy. My WSM'S run very steady once you get the temp right. I foil my water pan and do not use water.

--- End quote ---

I do it exactly the same way.  2-4 woods chunks is all you need.

Homerfeltheim:
Are wood chips ok to use? As for the water pan I was going to use beef stock and cider vinegar

AZWildcat:
Soak your chips and distribute amongst the coals. I gave up on chips long ago, chunks provide better and longer smoke. I would leave chips for the chicken and fish, for a short lived smoke.  As for the pan, IMHO it does not make a difference in your food. The water is used as a heat sink and does nothing to help moisture. By adding flavors to the water I think you are wasting your time. I've tried them all......and I run it dry.

BTW...i'll be posting a pair of battle tested, 18.5 wsm's for sale, hopefully intending to go to a new team for a real good price. Plenty of walks in them and plenty more to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version