AZ Barbeque.com

Anyone have any info on a Weber-Stephens SJ-100?

Discussion started on

mojo

Hey all, I just purchased on Ebay a kettle grill that I am not sure of. Things I am sure of is 1)it is a Weber-Stephens grill it says so on the box. 2) it has 3 daisy vents in the top and 3 in the bottom. 3)it is a on a tri-pod with wheels.

This grill was found in a barn/storage building from an estate and was still in the box un opened but for the pictures to sell on ebay. I have been unable to find anything on the web other than a reference to it from a Popular Mechanics magazine from 1958.

I will be getting it within a few days but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I called Weber and they said give them a serial # and they could help. but that will have to wait until I receive it.

Thanks Joe
#1 - September 15, 2009, 02:13:58 pm

AzJohnnyC

I'm not a huge expert, but an educated guess would be that it's possibly a Smoky Joe from the model number. Did they tell you the dimensions? They retail around thirty bucks, but if it's an antique, you could have a nice show piece there. Can't wait, fill us it when you get it!
#2 - September 15, 2009, 02:22:17 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

mojo

AZjohnny you are all over it. It is a Smokey Joe ,infact the original Smokey Joe. Offered in the early 60's catalog another poster has. It is New Old Stock and I am hearing Weber might be interested in having a new old stock in this grill back for a trade.

Seller mailed it out today comming from Chitown to Northern Indiana shouldn't take long via UPS.

Pics as soon as it arrives
#3 - September 15, 2009, 07:08:21 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Wow, very cool, can't wait to see some pictures of it..   Great find...
#4 - September 15, 2009, 07:14:10 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

RobOConnell

Sounds like you have a classic there.
#5 - September 15, 2009, 07:14:59 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

AzJohnnyC

I'd hold off on the trade with Weber. If they want it back, it must have some value to it. Depends though on what they'll trade you for it.
#6 - September 15, 2009, 07:32:03 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

azkitch

RANCH
yeah, right. But maybe a WSM...Ask for the Rhythm n Que autograph model.
#7 - September 15, 2009, 09:36:43 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

force

Smokey Joe was named after Joe Magill......... from Wheaton Ill..........
#8 - September 15, 2009, 10:20:00 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

mojo

OK here we go with an attempt to post Pics of the SJ100. If this one works I have more . http://www.flickr.com/photos/42667476@N07/3933947299/

Joe
#9 - September 19, 2009, 10:06:45 am

mojo

If anyone knows how to shorten these links let me know. O.K. so I guess you can look at the whole stream of pics of the sj-100 this should workout even better.
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/42667476@N07/3934729754/in/photostream/      

This little grill should burn real well. 3 vents in the bottom and 1 in the top should insure great air flow regulation. I am thinking that if it turns out that it is no more valuable than what it is as a usable grill then I will try to retro fit an ash catcher to it.

The grates are heavier than my SJS and appear to be a cleaner more polished looking finish than what I have seen on the last couple Webers I have bought.

Joe
#10 - September 19, 2009, 10:34:54 am
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:54:24 am by mojo »

RobOConnell

Your using Flicker, I dont know how that functions yet, but I use Photobucket. They have a link to the pics as individuals so you can select the ones you want to post and put them directly into the mssg. That may help you.
#11 - September 19, 2009, 02:54:40 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

Members: