AZ Barbeque.com

Yuma Rib Cookoff 2007

Discussion started on

Aaron

For those of you who have not attended this event, it is a great event for a great cause and you cant beat the prize package.

Yuma Rib Cook-Off at the Catholic High School.  This will be the 5th Annual BBQ and each year it has grown in volume, on the amount of people coming to this event and the amount of ribs consumed.   We are in need of teams for this fund raiser. 

$2500.00 for 1st
$1000.00 for 2nd
$600.00 for 3rd

The cost per team is $250.00, which includes 4 cases of spare ribs (9 racks per case) a couple of t-shirts and aprons.  You are required to bring your own set-up and cooking supplies, ex: sauce, tables, gas or coal and of course grill.  There is a trophy for' Best Booth' and' People's Choice', and small prize money for side dish, which can be almost anything. except liquor

The competition will be on the 1st of December, a Saturday.  Starting at 11:00am and ending at 3:30.  Teams can set-up the night before, there will security. Ribs will be available on Sat. at 6:00 am.  They must be cooked the day of the event and on site.  If you have any other questions and hopefully news of a few willing teams, please call me Kim Petersen @ 928 210 1824 or e-mail me at nesretepmik@aol.com. 

Thank-you, for any help you can provide. 
Yuma Catholic High School
2100 W. 28th St.
Yuma, Az. 85364
(928) 317 7900
#1 - November 05, 2007, 06:37:53 pm

Thom Emery

We are talking about cooking the Holtville Rib Burn
Weekend before the Super Bowl
#2 - November 05, 2007, 07:05:02 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Aaron, Wow, that does sound like a great cook-off.  I love the Prize $$$.  Wish we had heard about it a bit sooner.

We have our big ASU vs. UofA Final Home game that weekend, so we won't be able to make it.  Hopefully next year as this seems like a yearly event.

Anyone who can make this event, we highly recommend it, this would be some fun.

What rules will they be following?  KCBS, IBCA??

Good Luck!!!

#3 - November 05, 2007, 07:27:24 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Thom Emery

They have their own rules
Ask Past Champ Hombre about it
#4 - November 05, 2007, 08:34:18 pm

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

barbedQ

Don't know the rules but based on what I'm getting back from the sponsor it appears to be a people's choice more than anything, but I could be wrong.....just ask my wife.

Anyway, I got this in an email today.

The space for a team is quite flexiable, it is organized on the school grounds. There is a large field next to the football field which we use, and if we should need more room there is always the football field itself.  There will be security as of the Fri. before till the day of the BBQ. Some out of town folks camp at the school and I am sure the locker rooms could be used if needed. Otherwise we have most of the usual chain hotels here.  Check on-line for the best price.

There will be plenty of activity around the area till late Sat.  This is a large fund raiser for the school.  Last year I participated with my family in a team and it was lots of fun, but we need more teams.  The demand grows each year.  There are dump sites and access to potable water.  There is no eletricity at the team site.  The ribs(spare) are received 6:00am and cooked the day of the bbq.  Ready by 11:00. The event hopefully ends 3:30-4:00.

Email Kim if you need the rules or a signup sheet.

nesretepmik@aol.com <nesretepmik@aol.com>
#5 - November 07, 2007, 09:04:24 pm
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

barbedQ

Updated Info ----

The Yuma Catholic High School Rib Cook Off                               
Contact Information:
Kim Petersen for team entries and questions:(928)210-1824
rules and entry forms can be obtained on-line at yumacatholic.org

This year we will have our 5th Annual Rib Cook-Off here In Yuma,AZ.  Each year the event grows in popularity and there is a continuing need to increase our teams in the cook-off.  This year have "upped" the prize money to encourage anyone wanting to come out and prove their grilling skills.  The event will be this December 1st (Saturday).  Time Is running out to join.  More Info is listed below and you can e-mail me at the address above.  Thank-you Kim

Rules:

1. The entry fee Is $250. per team.
2. Yuma Catholic will furnish 4 cases of ribs per entry(9 racks per case).
3. Entrants will provide everything needed to cook and serve their ribs.  Don't forget cooking supplies,
   sunshade,grills,charcoal,sauces, cooking utensils, serving and cooking tables, chairs, etc.  NO power will be         
   available.
4. Entrants may use any type of sauce, cooking method, or fuel they choose.
5. ALL ribs must be cooked on site(at your booth) using the ribs provided by Y.C.
6. Entrants may offer a side dIsh that compliments their ribs.  Side dishes may NOT be given away.  The cost of each  rib and/or side Is Ine ticket which I pre-purchased or purchased at the door.
7. A per person/per rib limit will be set.  A non-competItIve team will be cooking ribs In mass to serve to Individuals           wantIng additional ribs or full racks.
8. Ribs will be available at 6:00 am (the day of the contest) at the cook-off site.  Ribs must be ready to serve at 11:00 am. Booths must be manned from 10:45am-3:00PM. Tear down may begin at 3:30 PM.  Disassembly and clean-up must be completed by 6:00PM.
9. Entrants may begin setting up at noon the day prior to the cook -off.   Security will be provided from 12:00 noon until the start of the cook-off.
10. NO INSURANCE is provided.  Each team must have a fire extinguisher at their booth.
11. Entrants are responsible for cleaning their space and removing all their equipment.  Do not dump grease or liquids   on the grass.
12. Do not dump hot coals In the trash cans or on site: receptacles will be furnished for that purpose.

Prize Money     Best Ribs                                                    Best Side Dish
                       1st Place:$2,500.                                         1st Place:$250.
                       2nd Place:$1,000.                                        2nd Place:$150.
                       3rd Place: $600.                                           3rd Place:$100.

#6 - November 15, 2007, 07:31:47 am
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

desertdog

Yeah, ouch.  ASU -UofA game.  Can't miss that. 

Bummer.

#7 - November 15, 2007, 10:24:52 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

barbcutie

O.K. all you BBQ folks, I realize I posted this event somewhat late, but I was worried that too many out you nice folks would invaded our lovely town of Yuma.  This is a popular event here locally, but we are growing in size each year.  This is our largest fund raiser for the Yuma Catholic High School and we plan on doing this every year, on the first weekend of December.(the weather is perfect) I was a BarBCutie contestant last year, it was great fun and hard work, which the way it usually is. If we continue to grow so will the prize money.($1000. last yr/$2500.this yr.and that's only 1st place)What we want are great tasting ribs, from good folks.  Here in Yuma, there are people that can BBQ quite well, if you want to prove us wrong, show us your stuff. This is only our 5 year.

BarBCutie  Team Coordinator/ nesretepmik@aol.com
Kim Petersen
This is a Yuma Event the Holtville BBQ is in Jan.

#8 - November 15, 2007, 08:00:14 pm

desertdog

Any news on how this one turned out?  Sorry to have missed it.

#9 - December 05, 2007, 05:28:47 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Thom Emery

Rained Out
#10 - December 05, 2007, 07:17:49 pm

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Members: