AZ Barbeque.com

My First Comp is only a Week Away!

Discussion started on

Jay583

Holy crap! It's only a week away until my first competition at Lake Havasu. I thought I was being cool but now I'm getting really anxious. I've made my lists and checked them twice; cooked 50lbs of meat during practice sessions; bought enough stuff on ebay to upgrade my status; worried about flat tires and lost entry fees.

What thoughts were going through your head before your first comp? Timm from Trailhound has been awesome with his emails and PM's helping me out. I definitely owe him a beer or two.
#1 - February 19, 2011, 06:22:16 pm
It's all fun and games until you run out of wood.....then the neighbors will lose a tree.

Quiggs

Jason, look us locals up when ya get here!!!  Smokin' Dead Meat!!!
#2 - February 19, 2011, 07:17:13 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

azkitch

Nice thread idea! And I like your signature line too. Trailhound are some great folks. You're lucky to have 'em in your neighborhood...I can't wait to hear from some seasoned competitors about their first comps, and the days leading up to it.
#3 - February 19, 2011, 07:17:31 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mrs. McFrankenboo

Wow, the only thing we were worried about before our first competition is if we had enough beer!!   :laugh:  We started a few years ago and they only had about one comp a year in AZ so I think we were serious about it.  Now I have the Excel spreadsheet checklist to make sure we have everything!  I still double check to make sure there is enough alcohol though  ;)
#4 - February 20, 2011, 08:40:06 am

RudedoggAZ

Wow, the only thing we were worried about before our first competition is if we had enough beer!!   :laugh:  We started a few years ago and they only had about one comp a year in AZ so I think we were serious about it.  Now I have the Excel spreadsheet checklist to make sure we have everything!  I still double check to make sure there is enough alcohol though  ;)

"Like"
#5 - February 20, 2011, 09:43:35 am

DanMan

Just relax and cook.  When you over think is when you will mess up.  Now I am no pro and have not won yet, just focus on great food just like you would at home.  No changes stick to your game plan.
#6 - February 20, 2011, 09:46:45 am

Rob Albach

1. you got to have some fun!!!
2. if you have time, take some pictures of your turn in boxes before sending them off.
3. Get around and BS with the other cooks on friday....(not saturday morning)
4. for sure come and hang out at the midnight appetizer party (who's gonna host this year)??(I'm bringing my ABT's)
5. you gotta have some fun

Havasu 2010 was my first time competing, I HAD A BLAST (gettin a 2nd place chicken call helped alot ;) ) I cant wait to see everyone again!!!!!

#7 - February 20, 2011, 11:05:57 am
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:55:37 am by Rob Albach »
AZTEC BBQ
Meadow Creek TS120/BBQ42
Charbroil Offset
Weber Kettle

glenntm

Holy crap! It's only a week away until my first competition at Lake Havasu. I thought I was being cool but now I'm getting really anxious. I've made my lists and checked them twice; cooked 50lbs of meat during practice sessions; bought enough stuff on ebay to upgrade my status; worried about flat tires and lost entry fees.

What thoughts were going through your head before your first comp? Timm from Trailhound has been awesome with his emails and PM's helping me out. I definitely owe him a beer or two.

Were rolling in Thursday.  Stop over and say hi. 
#8 - February 20, 2011, 11:57:46 am

Mark

My advice, especially for a first-timer is just to have fun. Get to know people. Listen to the rules and get your stuff turned in on time. You won't know how high you've placed if you are disqualified in a category! You'll be surprised at the stuff that you think is your best may not be your highest placing entry in the contest. Stuff you are disappointed in as you box it up might place high. A BBQ competition is the most fun crap shoot you'll never play full of the nicest people you'll ever meet. ;D
#9 - February 20, 2011, 03:58:50 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Trailhound

Jason
There is a lot of VERY GOOD advice here as I told you BBQ people are some of the nicest and helpfull people you will ever meet. Dan is right stay with your game plan my first comp Williams last year I changed how i cooked brisket at the comp and came in DAL in brisket. As a lot of them said remember to have fun!
Feel free to look me up down there Friday or Saturday and we'll have that beer.

#10 - February 20, 2011, 04:11:01 pm
Don't over think your common sense
East Texas Smoker
2 UDS
Knaack Tool Box Smoker
http://trailhoundsmokersbbq.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Trailhoundsmokers
KCBS CBJ #55596

Cornbred

I found a clipboard with a writing utensil helped a ton. Also, more SAUCE in the cooks than on the meat :D
#11 - February 21, 2011, 12:14:47 am

Members: