AZ Barbeque.com

Upcoming Events

Discussion started on

G$

And I'm betting you'll get way more than 15 with the attitude and vision you've got for the small teams and first timers. I also think reviving the tailgate comps is going to be a hoot and well received, especially great for people like us who've only seen 'em on TV.

I agree, but there is a bit of a catch 22 here (IMO).

Small events with lower payouts are very good for the newer teams, especially when it gives them a really good chance for a walk or two.

The flip side is, for various reasons, these events become very attractive to the top notch experienced teams as well (even with 'small payouts).  That somewhat dillutes the benefits for the newer teams, PLUS drives up the entered competitors numbers.  Plus, to generalize, the more teams entered, the better the promoter fares.

I'm not making judgements, just observations.  I really do think these types of events are good for BBQ.
#31 - February 06, 2011, 10:54:44 am
G$

SmoknAZ

The flip side is, for various reasons, these events become very attractive to the top notch experienced teams as well (even with 'small payouts). 

Which in my eyes means I would be able to be around the best at a reduced cost. I have never competed but want to eventually.
#32 - February 06, 2011, 11:21:03 am
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

Kegger

Is anyone doing the Sam's Clubs kickoff in Gilbert in April?? Also Mike why don't we do a cook off like we did last year at a local BBQ restaurant that  would give all the new team more practiceand great time for BCS to get more exposure.

Dave
#33 - February 06, 2011, 01:06:11 pm

AZWildcat

Is anyone doing the Sam's Clubs kickoff in Gilbert in April?? Dave
We are planning on it. Between Gilbert, Scottsdale and Vegas, I don't know about all three, but at least 2. The only thing holding me back from Gilbert is NO PC allowed. We tend to have lots left over, but all my family is in the Phx area, so there goes the extra.

As for the local cookoff BBQ restaurant thing.....Mike, how bout making it in Casa Grande, to attract some Tucson teams.......? Just a thought.

#34 - February 06, 2011, 01:25:49 pm
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:29:52 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Funtimebbq

Don't the rules say no selling?  You would be sharing (not selling) the extra with family correct?

Benny
#35 - February 06, 2011, 03:05:48 pm

Crash

Thanks KCBS
Keep up the great work
I couldnt disagree with you more Jim.  The fact that KCBS is now stepping in as an organizer is concerning.  If I was an organizer, I would be pretty ticked off to know that KCBS is promoting their event with gusto and not promoting other events along the same lines.

I havent seen KCBS do "great work" in many years.  Hell, has anyone seen the video from Lakeland with a top KCBS official clearly accepting a late brisket entry.  Great work.....not in my opinion!  ;)
#36 - February 06, 2011, 03:12:33 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AZWildcat

Don't the rules say no selling?  You would be sharing (not selling) the extra with family correct?

Benny
You are correct sir, no selling but plenty of sharing!
#37 - February 06, 2011, 04:01:47 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert)

I can look out my front window and see the Sams club in Gilbert. I think I have to enter this one. I cant get any closer than that.
#38 - February 06, 2011, 04:57:41 pm
GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker

Club Ambassador
robert@azbarbecue.com

Mark

I can see Sarah Palin from my front window. (I think she's stalking me.) ???
#39 - February 06, 2011, 08:43:40 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

jmcrig

I can see Sarah Palin from my front window. (I think she's stalking me.) ???

That's her kid. ;D
#40 - February 06, 2011, 08:49:55 pm

glenntm

Is anyone doing the Sam's Clubs kickoff in Gilbert in April?? Also Mike why don't we do a cook off like we did last year at a local BBQ restaurant that  would give all the new team more practiceand great time for BCS to get more exposure.

Dave

Would like to attend Gilbert, but schedules are a mess.  Unless something changes we'll be off to New Mexico. 
#41 - February 06, 2011, 09:27:25 pm

Mrs. McFrankenboo

I couldnt disagree with you more Jim.  The fact that KCBS is now stepping in as an organizer is concerning.  If I was an organizer, I would be pretty ticked off to know that KCBS is promoting their event with gusto and not promoting other events along the same lines.

I havent seen KCBS do "great work" in many years.  Hell, has anyone seen the video from Lakeland with a top KCBS official clearly accepting a late brisket entry.  Great work.....not in my opinion!  ;)

I'm just going to say that the right call was made in the end regarding that.  There are issues in every sanctioning body.
#42 - February 06, 2011, 10:39:26 pm

glenntm

Ya -- real money -- with the money that teams deserve!
Thanks Ron Cates
Thanks KCBS
Keep up the great work

I agree Jim.  I think this big event in Vegas and the Sam's club Championships are good for BBQ.  The sport is growing, and its drawing new teams into competing. 
#43 - February 07, 2011, 05:32:16 am

grizmt

I agree, but there is a bit of a catch 22 here (IMO).

Small events with lower payouts are very good for the newer teams, especially when it gives them a really good chance for a walk or two.

The flip side is, for various reasons, these events become very attractive to the top notch experienced teams as well (even with 'small payouts).  That somewhat dillutes the benefits for the newer teams, PLUS drives up the entered competitors numbers.  Plus, to generalize, the more teams entered, the better the promoter fares.

I'm not making judgements, just observations.  I really do think these types of events are good for BBQ.
The promoter may or may not gain depending where the "tipping point" is. Remember there are costs associated with more people called infrastructure as well as other assorted costs that have to be covered not to mention putting up the prize fund $ in an escrow account out of their pocket. Lights,toilets,power (I'm sure Mike can add to the list) which grow as teams grow. Having to deal with promoters regularly some of them don't make the "killing" everyone thinks, and a few do it more for the love of what they do.  To be honest (this is just my opinion) if money were the driving force behind what Mike does (which is where I think the conversation is aimed) then he would've done everything possible to stay with KCBS, the 8-10 large comps per year etc,etc,etc....

Do some promotors gouge? IMO absolutely yes! Are some more concerned about what they're getting to the point of short changing the teams just to make a bit more? I think that's happened from time to time.
#44 - February 07, 2011, 06:38:55 am

G$

The promoter may or may not gain depending where the "tipping point" is. 

... which is why I said,  "to generalize". 
#45 - February 07, 2011, 07:06:37 am
G$

Members: