AZ Barbeque.com

Upcoming Events

Discussion started on

jim

Ya -- real money -- with the money that teams deserve!
Thanks Ron Cates
Thanks KCBS
Keep up the great work
#16 - February 04, 2011, 11:32:25 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Deserve??  Please explain...
#17 - February 05, 2011, 12:45:44 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

grizmt

Ya -- real money -- with the money that teams deserve!
Thanks Ron Cates
Thanks KCBS
Keep up the great work
Interesting line of thought, please explain further...
#18 - February 05, 2011, 06:39:43 am

Mrs. McFrankenboo

If you look around the country, especially the midwest, entry fees are low but so are the prize funds.  Out west, the entry fees are higher.  For the most part, I think the AZ prize funds have been decent but California is a different story.  $300 plus dollars for a $5,000 prize fund just doesn't cut it.  We have to pay for gas, entry fee, meat, spices, (sometimes) electric, water, ice, and that all adds up.  At some of these comps you would literally need to take first place in every category plus GC just to break even!!  I actually heard a promoter say that he was increasing the entry fee for his event this year just because everyone else out this way was doing it and he wanted to get in on a piece of that.  That's the wrong reason for increasing an entry fee! 

Sorry for the hijack...we're doing Havasu and not sure what else after that because we don't know where we'll be!!
#19 - February 05, 2011, 08:51:18 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I think the explosion of BBQ & comps is great.  I always knew the big paydays were coming, but kind of like the housing market, I almost think it's happening too fast and will burn itself out.  I hope not, but that's what I see.

I also think that the smaller, more affordable comps also are great.  We are looking at announcing a few $3K - $5K events with an entry fee of $100 - $150.

We have to continue to have these as well I believe to get the new teams into competing so we can continue to grow the sport.

Great seeing so many comps finally coming out this way as well.  Nevada is just exploding this year..
#20 - February 05, 2011, 10:03:57 am
Michael J. Reimann

Bbenson8247

Amen Mike!  Great post.
#21 - February 05, 2011, 10:08:21 am

grizmt

We're noticing a few things as well. Erin mentioned something that is very concerning to us both as vendors and people who love comps. It seems that many of the events we are seeing now have become less about the event and more about the money. Charities are getting greedy as well as some promotors getting greedy and caring less and less about all the people who also make these events possible. It doesn't surprise me in the least that Erin heard those comments from a promoter, we're hearing pretty much the same thing as vendors and have in fact heard something along the lines of "we don't care what happens, we've already got your money (entry fee)". Basically, "we've got ours so who cares".

Another part of that concern is if comp fees keep going up or there becomes a lot of big $$$ contests what will attract new teams or the real good teams that don't have the $300-$500 entry fees or are scared off by all the big teams chasing the big $$? New blood means new ideas, different tastes and many times, more fun. As for the older teams that just can't afford it, I'd surely miss 'em and the "newbies" would really miss some good mentors which would be a real shame!
I'm already hearing teams that are either A. Severely cutting the amount of comps this year or B. Not planning any at all.
I guess it comes down to you can either milk this for all it's worth now and kill off the cow or take it easy, don't get entranced by $$$ and keep the thing going for years to come.
I'd love to see the smaller events, backyard events,kids Q, throwdowns etc. That's how this sport will keep alive!
#22 - February 05, 2011, 11:50:15 am

G$

We are looking at announcing a few $3K - $5K events with an entry fee of $100 - $150.

I think there is a great 'market' for this type of event.  I am curious how many teams you would "target" for this type of event Mike.
#23 - February 05, 2011, 01:25:01 pm
G$

Mrs. McFrankenboo

I think it will attract a lot of new teams because it is an expensive hobby if you are not make a return on your investment.  I think you'll also get big teams, because they aren't always all about the money.  They are about the payout when they are putting out a lot of money to be a part of it.  As a team, we are not going to pay $300 plus expenses to drive my truck 700 miles roundtrip for the possibility of nothing in return. We would be more apt to spend less money on a local comp even if the payout isn't huge because the total expenses are less.  In this economy, it is about money.  People want to compete but sometimes it just isn't feasible.  As far as having a huge payout like Vegas, that is enticing because of how far down it pays out.  Everyone has a chance of taking something home and it could be a lot.  I don't see those happening every day but when they do, they are a big deal.
#24 - February 05, 2011, 01:50:29 pm

Trailhound

Great seeing so many comps finally coming out this way as well.  Nevada is just exploding this year..

As being new to this BBQ comp thing I have to say I love seeing more events coming to Nevada.
There will be 4 event with in 100 miles of home, you will see Trailhound at all of these before you see us going back to that country to the west of us.

Mike puts on awesome events and we will be at more of them this year as long as I don't have truck repairs like last year.
We had hoped to get to ID, CO this year but with the new events coming to my backyard Nevada/Vegas my money  will be going to them.
It simple lest driving = more money for entry fees.
#25 - February 05, 2011, 04:48:25 pm
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:45:05 pm by Trailhound »
Don't over think your common sense
East Texas Smoker
2 UDS
Knaack Tool Box Smoker
http://trailhoundsmokersbbq.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Trailhoundsmokers
KCBS CBJ #55596

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I think there is a great 'market' for this type of event.  I am curious how many teams you would "target" for this type of event Mike.

Our goal for these smaller events would be min of 15 teams so they would be qualifiers.
#26 - February 05, 2011, 07:42:31 pm
Michael J. Reimann

glenntm

There are and will be events in the Southwest that fit the needs of every team.  You just need to research sites like AZBBQ, IMBBQA, and CBBQA.  Tons of great events out there. 
#27 - February 05, 2011, 09:54:18 pm

grizmt

Our goal for these smaller events would be min of 15 teams so they would be qualifiers.
And I'm betting you'll get way more than 15 with the attitude and vision you've got for the small teams and first timers. I also think reviving the tailgate comps is going to be a hoot and well received, especially great for people like us who've only seen 'em on TV.
#28 - February 06, 2011, 07:01:31 am

bucaguy

We are looking at announcing a few $3K - $5K events with an entry fee of $100 - $150.

this is what I would be looking at when I decide to jump in and do one
#29 - February 06, 2011, 09:04:54 am
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

AzScott

Mike, I think your ideas are good as far as events at 100 to 150 dollars with a lower pay out.  I would go in a heartbeat if I can get the time off of work.  I personally like the fact that some comps have high payouts since it brings in more teams than we are used to, you could potentially win some big bucks, and I think it's good for the sport as a whole.  On the flip side, I think the events that don't have a huge payout but have much lower entry fee's would be welcomed by everyone.  One thing that I would really welcome is weekend events that start on Saturday and finish on Sunday.  It can often be hard justifying time off for bbq competitions to the employer and if the smaller events were Saturday and Sunday I could keep my vacation days for a vacation.
#30 - February 06, 2011, 10:39:35 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Members: