AZ Barbeque.com

Summer 2009 Camping Trip

Discussion started on

Crash

If there is no lake, then how would you see this??

Is that a handle on his back?
#16 - June 01, 2009, 01:17:51 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Uzona

Looks like a bouy with a docking cleat on the back.   Could come in handy.
#17 - June 01, 2009, 01:34:23 pm
Don
BBQ Castaways.

azkitch

Hey, if you add a radar dish...
Sorry. I couldn't not jump in.
#18 - June 01, 2009, 01:59:06 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

desertdog

FYI, first practice July 31...
#19 - June 01, 2009, 02:15:57 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Crash

You might want to see if any of the group sites at the Sharp Creek campground near Christopher Creek, a little east of Payson, are available.  They have great facilities and would work for a decent sized group.

I just checked on this and all 3 group spots have already been reserved.  Bummer.
#20 - June 01, 2009, 04:19:23 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Crash

Check out this link, the group sites will take up to 70 people.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/recreation/campgrounds/devcamp/devcamp_woodscyngroup.shtml
[/quote]

Also already reserved.
#21 - June 01, 2009, 04:32:42 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Crash

It looks like our best bet is to reserve a few smaller campsites right next to each other.  Or camp where there are no amenities.

Thoughts?
#22 - June 01, 2009, 04:35:11 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Mrs. McFrankenboo

I know that Knoll Lake up on the Mogollon Rim has large spaces, because it's just the woods.  We were up there this weekend and were next to an ENORMOUS group of Boy Scouts, but were still far enough away (we'll not far enough for the lady who dropped her pants to pee and flashed her ass to us I guess) that we could only hear them, not see them.  Also, there is no fee for Knoll but you need to get there early to ensure larger areas. As for amenities, I find that those campgrounds are filled with people and campsites are right on top of each other so people get mad if you are loud.  I don't know much about the Flagstaff area so I'm no help there, but if we had a better idea of how many people are interested and what kind of set ups they will have might make it a little easier to determine how much space we would need. 

#23 - June 01, 2009, 06:16:55 pm

Mrs. McFrankenboo

There is also dispersed camping at Blue Ridge Reservoir (we were there a few weeks ago) and they've got some big areas as well.  Where we ended up camping ended up with about 5 other camping sites right around us with plenty of room for many more if you were all together. 

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/other-rec/dispersed_camping.shtml
#24 - June 01, 2009, 06:29:38 pm

Crash

I have been to both of those areas and I actually think either one of them would be perfect.  As I recall, Blue Ridge has a little bit easier access for those w/ 2wd.
#25 - June 01, 2009, 07:24:31 pm
VRM Pit Crew

AzJohnnyC

Cinder hills OHV area is a cool place. Mainly because you can ride ATV's there.  Anyone else like to ride quads or sand rails here?  If so, a trip to the dunes could be in the making as well.  Cinder Hills is northeast of Flagstaff by the Sunset Crater extinct volcano.  It's semi-woodsy, first come, first serve.  Some of the sites are large, and you can get big groups there.  We go riding up there in the mid-summer with a bunch of us.  No facilities, though.
#26 - June 01, 2009, 07:41:37 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Crash

Cinder hills OHV area is a cool place. Mainly because you can ride ATV's there.  Anyone else like to ride quads or sand rails here?  If so, a trip to the dunes could be in the making as well.  Cinder Hills is northeast of Flagstaff by the Sunset Crater extinct volcano.  It's semi-woodsy, first come, first serve.  Some of the sites are large, and you can get big groups there.  We go riding up there in the mid-summer with a bunch of us.  No facilities, though.

That is a good spot, especially for the quad riders.  I think we are trying to find a spot close to a lake for our buddy Seamus though.

Right now, my vote is for Blue Ridge.
#27 - June 01, 2009, 08:38:17 pm
VRM Pit Crew

force

what about fire restrictions if it is dry up there.......
#28 - June 01, 2009, 10:35:49 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Crash

what about fire restrictions if it is dry up there.......

From what I have heard, there are currently no fire restrictions around Flagstaff and the Knoll Lake/Blue Ridge area yet.  That could very easily change though.
#29 - June 01, 2009, 10:53:19 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Members: