AZ Barbeque.com

Santa Maria Competition

Discussion started on

olivesmoker

Just wondering how many of you are making the trip to Santa Maria, CA for their IBCA Comp? We know Dean will be there, we grew up there and will be attending as spectators staying with family. Just wanted to see about meeting anyone else in person.
#1 - July 06, 2009, 08:16:11 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Unfortunately, it was the same weekend as my son's first time off from Boot Camp, so we are heading back to Georgia to see him.  Otherwise, we would be out there with all of you.

Have a great time and good luck to all the teams going.  Travel safely and bring home some awards..  ;)
#2 - July 06, 2009, 08:23:55 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

olivesmoker

Hey Mike,
Congrats on the son graduating from Boot Camp. Great to have our young ones committing to defending our freedom for sure. We are taking Quiggs biz cards with us and will be handing out flyers and entry forms for the Feb. 2010 Lake Havasu Comp. Anything else we should know or be doing?
#3 - July 06, 2009, 08:49:27 pm
Danny Petersen

Thanks Quiggs!

toys4dlr

Wish I could make it, as I went to school at Cal Poly.  Love that central coast.

Best of luck to all
#4 - July 06, 2009, 10:17:56 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Mike (AZBarbeque)

He's not graduating yet, this is just Family weekend, but the first weekend he has had off.  I was originally only going to go back for Graduation, but the wife had other plans.   Seems Bonnie misses the boy and we will be seeing him every chance we get I've been informed..  ;D  8)

Graduation is in August, so hopefully we will be going back at that time as well.

Great ideas about the cards and flyers for the Havasu event, if anything else, just invite them all to visit the site here and become members.  We always love new members.

I too love that area.  It's typically where we go for our Annual Guys Camping Trip (Morro Bay) and it is just beautiful up there.

Have fun and make sure to take lots of pictures..  ;)
#5 - July 06, 2009, 10:22:37 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

desertdog

I am really looking forward to this event for a couple reasons; first is getting out of the heat....113 this weekend?  Santa Maria...mid 70s....ahhhhh.

Also,

Three of the Rookie of the Year teams will be going head to head this weekend to add to their CBBQA point totals for 2009.

Brazen BBQ leads the way with 3 qualifying contests and 91 points

My team, Major Woody's BBQ, is in 2nd place with 2 qualifying contests and 64 points

And The Rub Co. is currently in 5th place behind All Sauced Up and Soaked in Smoke (not competing this week) with 1 qualifying contest and 21 points.

All I can hope for is that my tent is next to Harry Soo's!   ;)

#6 - July 07, 2009, 07:43:47 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Quiggs

Go get um Dean!!
#7 - July 07, 2009, 07:50:51 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

toys4dlr

Hey Dean,

If you are hanging around early or late, got to go north on 101 to McClintock's for breakfast (I always went for breakfast) or lunch and have some of thier famous Turkey Nuts.  Yep, they are what they say. 

I like the smaller location in Downtown SLO, but there is a much bigger location a little north on 101 right off the freeway. 

http://www.mclintocks.com

SLO Is about 40 miles north of Santa Maria and there is a brew pub in Downtown SLO that was SLO brew when I was there, but it has changed names.  If you get there Thursday, the downtown SLO closes Higurea Street for a Farmers market at 6 pm.  It is cool, farmers selling their stuff on the street, several rests pull out the grill and sell stuff.  Then you got Bar to bar.  Man, I feel like going. 

PS - how many competing for this one???

#8 - July 07, 2009, 08:31:34 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

olivesmoker

Ahhh, McClintock's! We're already planning on hitting happy hour on Thursday eve, then maybe Friday AM breakfast too. Brother in law lives only a couple miles from the big one off 101 in Shell Beach. And can't forget about Alex's BBQ for ribs across the highway from there.  Not to mention The Hitching Post , AJ Spurs, Far Western and Jocko's, we could go on and on. It is low and slow oak smoked HEAVEN!!!
#9 - July 07, 2009, 10:10:32 am
Danny Petersen

Thanks Quiggs!

toys4dlr

I spent some great years there, but I went back to school later in life.  I was 25 when I transfered in to Poly and I graduated 18 months later.  Looking back, I should have milked that for all it was worth.  I thought I am getting old and have to get on with my life.

My life was great then, no worries, still thinking that 18 units was a lot of work.  Still less time in Hours than working.  What a dummy I was, am, um you know.   ;D
#10 - July 07, 2009, 10:34:08 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

desertdog

Hey Dean,

- how many competing for this one???

As of today, there are 21 teams.  Since it is a first year event, I believe it is a qualifier for the Jack draw.   Looks like Brazen BBQ will not be competing this weekend afterall, gives me a chance to catch up with them a little bit if I can finish in the top 10. 

#11 - July 07, 2009, 04:02:57 pm

VisionQuest220

Yes, as a first year event it only needs 15 teams as long as it has a State Championship proclamation.  Otherwise it would need 50 teams regardless of being a new or an established contest.

Good luck over there, Dean.  Unless I'm mistaken, you're Arizona's only representative in the contest.  (No pressure, dude.)
#12 - July 07, 2009, 04:09:57 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

desertdog

Yes, as a first year event it only needs 15 teams as long as it has a State Championship proclamation.  Otherwise it would need 50 teams regardless of being a new or an established contest.

Good luck over there, Dean.  Unless I'm mistaken, you're Arizona's only representative in the contest.  (No pressure, dude.)

I am the only AZ team participating.  Pressure? What pressure?   ;)   

Just hope I finish repectfully (means not DAL).  There are some of the top teams in California participating, just got to enjoy myself and do things the way I know how to do em.

#13 - July 07, 2009, 04:25:43 pm

blakesbbq

will  be pullen for ya Dean! good luck  ;D
#14 - July 07, 2009, 04:31:15 pm
later gator

toys4dlr

Go get um Deano   ;D
#15 - July 07, 2009, 05:37:24 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N