AZ Barbeque.com

Mt. Lemmon Oktoberfest 2010 Sept. 10th - 12th

Discussion started on

desertdog

As I mentioned at the Brisket Cookoff last week, The Tucson Homebrew Club has invited us back up on the mountain for their annual Oktoberfest.  This is a great event with some of the nicest people you will ever meet.  I encourage all of our members to come up into the pines and participate.  I believe we have the main meat items covered for the event, but everyone is encouraged to bring along your specialty to contribute either to the Friday night Oktoberfest dinner, the midnight appetizer, and or the Saturday Oktoberfest Feast.

Come up for the entire weekend Friday -through Sunday Noon, or just come up for the day on Saturday, either way you will have a great time and meet some fun people.

Here is the email from Jeannie Thomke, her and her husband have been one of the main organizers of this event for the past several years.

The Tucson Homebrew Club is having its annual Oktoberfest Campout September 10th and 11th at the
Whitetail Group Campground on Mt. Lemmon.  We have sites 1, 3 & 4.  For any of you that have not been
there before, each ramada has several bear boxes and bbq grills.  They also have electricity and running
water.  Tent pads are spread throughout the woods, and accommodate 2 - 3 tents per pad.  It is luxury
camping at its finest and the beer and food is outstanding!

Link to campground information:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75454

I have setup a free online spreadsheet that anyone who has a link can access and edit - without a
password to coordinate all planning.  If more than one person is viewing at the same time, there will
be a pulldown showing others and you can chat with them to coordinate saves. 

A great party begins with knowing how many to plan for.  The Planning Committee would greatly
appreciate it if everyone would please go into the spreadsheet and input if you can, can't or might
attend.  That way, we will know you received the invite and have made a decision.

Link to the spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuaWopcbDSY3dFYyaEVIdjhlVGVFVl9jNzZ0eXVPc3c&hl=en&authkey=CPfGqsQH

Cost will be finalized after a headcount is more accurate.  Last year we charged $5/night per single,
$10/night per couple or $15/night per family.  This year it will likely be the same. 

Brews and Meals are all potluck style.  Last Tuesday, we met with Dean from the Arizona BBQ
club on what they will be preparing so we'll update the spreadsheet next week on club provided food.

We have lots of space folks!  Club members may extend the invite to other like minded beer-loving folks
they think would enjoy our type of Oktoberfest.

Drink responsibly - Camp leisurely - Enjoy the beer and the company vigorously!

#1 - August 30, 2010, 11:08:19 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thanks Dean for spearheading this again for the club.

If anyone can make this, it is sure to be a great time.

Post up if you can and if so, what you can help out with bringing.

Sounds like a great weekend to me.. BBQ & Homebrew...
#2 - August 30, 2010, 11:22:34 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

graves83

Desert Dog,

Is there a schedule for the weekend, as far as, what's going on at certain times? I'm a beer maker/BBQer and what mind helping out and contributing. This sounds like a lot of fun.

~Ryan
#3 - August 30, 2010, 01:27:14 pm

VisionQuest220

Being a Tucson native, I have spent many weekends on Mt. Lemmon.  It's a great place and I have some really fun memories of the time I've spent there.  Unfortunately, this event coincides with the Colorado Pork & Hops Challenge in Grand Junction, CO where will be competing that weekend.

To all that decide to go, have fun, enjoy the mountain and raise a glass of suds for me and drink a toast to 30 years of living in Tucson and all the good times Mt. Lemmon gave me.  Oh, and one more thing:  Stop by Pat's Drive-In for some killer chili dogs on your way there and on the way home!
#4 - August 30, 2010, 01:52:08 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

AZWildcat

Dang, right in my back yard....but i'm hunting that weekend. Sounds awsome though. All those events on Mt. Lemmon are so well done, I hope you get a big participant turnout. The public always comes out for this stuff.
#5 - August 30, 2010, 10:29:46 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

desertdog

This event draws quite a number of Homebrewers and their friends and family.  Many just come up for the Saturday festivities, but there are quite a few, myself included, that take advantage of the great location, weather, food, drink and fun for the entire weekend. 

Usually people start arriving in the early afternoon on Friday, set up their tents, etc.  Many of those same people have also brought various 5 gal kegs of their home brews, so that gets set up and iced down in a central location. 

Everyone is invited to sample everything that is set up, as much as you like.  I have not been to one of these yet where we ran out of beer! ;). Friday evening meal is kept pretty simple, we do Brats, burger, chicken or whatever on the large grills the campground has. Everyone brings out side items, desserts and so on.  There is a large bon fire area at the campground, someone usually has a guitar or two, in fact, one of the Brewers, Ross, plays in a band.  His band has played each of the last three years I have been up, they are really good, playing classic rock tunes.  I imagine they will be playing again this year, probably Saturday afternoon/night. Friday night at midnight has been fun the last couple years.  I made a big pot of Chili and some others made the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever.  I promise you will not go hungry or thirsty at this event.

Saturday starts off with breakfast, there are plenty of specialties going on, along with the omelet in a bag tradition...

This a great area to do some hiking.  On the other side of the mountain is a fantastic view of Tucson and southern Arizona.

Saturday early evening we have the main meal of the weekend.  Those who come up for the day bring their home made goodies. Us BBQ guys put out our ribs, brisket, ABTs, Pulled Pork, Tri Tip, etc...well you get the idea.  Food, drinks, fun.

On Sunday morning we do a quick breakfast, everyone pitches in to clean up, pack up, and we are usually gone by Noon.
#6 - August 31, 2010, 02:05:48 pm

graves83

Sounds like a lot of fun,

I put my name on the Excel Spreadsheet. Will plan on going up saturday afternoon. I just made a Heineken clone, so I'll bring that up with me. Was planning on bringing either a brisket or pulled pork for dinner. Is there anyone I should contact? Should I make a reservation with the link you provided?

~Ryan
#7 - August 31, 2010, 02:48:32 pm

desertdog

No reservation needed, just make sure your name and food/beer is on the contribution list.  The Tucson Homebrew Club has already paid for the campgrounds, if you are staying overnight, the club will collect your fee at the event.  This is a not for profit venture, the club really would just like to break even.  Bring what you can, be willing to share and have fun.  That is the spirit of the Mt. Lemmon Oktoberfest!

Looking forward to trying that H Clone.... :P

#8 - August 31, 2010, 03:45:11 pm

desertdog

Just a reminder:  This event is NEXT weekend, only 8 days away!  Who is joining us?

#9 - September 02, 2010, 09:30:36 am

Mike P in Tucson

Sorry to say, I can't make it this year :'(.  But it certainly is a great event with fine people.  And a wonderful place to get out of the heat.
#10 - September 02, 2010, 04:01:45 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

desertdog

Once again, many of you are going to miss an excellent event up in the cool pines of Mt. Lemmon. 

If you are on the fence about attending this great time, I encourage you to find a way to make it happen. 

What a great way to beat the heat; beautiful campground, cold beer, tasty food and good folks!   :)
#11 - September 07, 2010, 12:06:59 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Dean, sounds like another great event.  I was hoping I could make it, just have too much going on right now.

ASU game on Saturday and Real Estate on Friday & Sunday..

Have fun down there, take lots of pictures and let me know if you need anything for the trip...
#12 - September 07, 2010, 12:44:14 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

desertdog

Still have room if anyone is still thinking of coming up to Mt. Lemmon this weekend. 

Don't be fooled by the cool weather this morning, weather here in the Valley is supposed to be back up around 102 on Saturday!  Whitetail campground?  Mid 70's!

#13 - September 09, 2010, 08:18:51 am

Members: