AZ Barbeque.com

Poll

Do you plan on competing in this event?

Yes
No

OFFICIAL Lake Pleasant BBQ Cook-off Topic

Discussion started on

bearbonez

I printed up some flyers as weel and left a stack at the main table at the sheriff's posse bbq.
#31 - August 17, 2006, 06:48:31 am
David "Bear" Nunley

devil daddy

That is so Awesome Bear.
Man you are being a really bug help. I really appreciate your efforts!
DD
#32 - August 17, 2006, 08:28:49 am

devil daddy

Thanks Mike for pointing out my minor spelling error. That should be Big help not bug help.
Let this be a warning to usall. Mike is a spelling Nazi now. We better all beware
DD
#33 - August 17, 2006, 02:28:27 pm

bearbonez

Errr...its me ...Ess, Cindy again, dunno why Bear is always signed on even on my puter HA! but anyhoo...a question for you regarding the competition, and my wings.

Bear told me that we now know the judges do NOT like hot as in spicy, and all of you who tried my wings know they are SPICY!

so I am chopping lemon grass, ginger and garlic in preparation and thinking (always a good time to think when one is chopping for hours lol) what do you guys suggest? shall I make my wings the same leaving out LOTS of the chili peppers and adding honey? this would still make them spicy (lemongrass, ginger and garlic with a wee bit of chili) but sweeter...

I need suggestions as I will be creating the *new* recipe starting tonite. Bear gets to taste test...and he is brutally honest=) The trouble is we want to be a valuable part of the team, and make the entries count, even the everything goes part=) I have a daydream that my little wings could take us up a notch if done right (or CRASHING to a firey death if done badly!!!! Eeeep)

so, suggestions welcomed =)

Oh! shall I find the recipe and paste it here? ...yup. brb....

5 lbs. chicken wings
1 whole hand of Ginger, young is better, and Thai ginger (real hot) is even better if you can find it. Chope into tiny slivers , about 1/4" x 1" is acceptable, but smaller is better.
1 huge garlic clove, mince the whole thing, if you like garlic, chop 2!
fish sauce (yes you have to use this=P lol) this is the *salt* and you will not salt at all beyond this so use at least 1/4 cup, i use more, and YES the stink cooks off! (also called shrimp sauce, or fermented fish sauce...STOP THAT GAGGING DAMMIT!)
about 1/2 cup oyster sauce

now here is the best part!!!

6 fat stalks of lemon grass, you have to chop these down to the size of glitter, (askin bear what a better refference fer da mens would be)
ok he says ultra fine chop...
I HAVE seen in some asian markets where some ambitious asian ladies have prechopped and bottled the dry lemongrasses...get em if they exist where you live and save the chop time.

this will take you an hour at least and i chop dozens at a time and freeze them myself so that i dont have to take the time everytime i want spicy lemon grass flavor. in my freezer bag is lemon grass, teensy diced thai chilis, minced garlic, and ginger slivers just sos ya know how I do it)

2 huge heaping satay sauce dolops (also called Tuong Ot and ground chili with fried garlic, its a deep burgandy color, usually small bottles)

about 1/3 cup sriracha HOT chili sauce, this is not Mae ploy, it isnt sweet, and neither are these wings=) (also called Tuong ot sriracha)

a handfull of Thai chillis chopped fine, these are those leetle buggers that look like the xmas tree lights...yummy! if you substitute chilis you will get a different taste, but do what you like there.

now you grab a beer or 6 cause they have to marinate all night!!

I like these crispy, but they are good and hot and tasty either way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think (THINK) that if I use only the garlic roasted chili, and leave out the srricca, and the other moe punchy chilis, this could be good sweet...

Thanks guys

Your everything goes  Girl

=D
#34 - August 29, 2006, 01:45:57 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

bearbonez

dangit! posted on the wrong discussion...lol

moving it now =)
#35 - August 29, 2006, 01:47:12 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Cindy,

From my experiences and from watching a few of the contests, the anything butt category typically does not follow the same rule of thumb as the meat categories do.  A little bit of spice (Not too much) should be a winner.  I don't think the ones Ryan and I had at your house warming were too spicy, but that's me.

I would say, reduce the spice a bit, but if you are going to be doing Thai wings, anyone with any sense will know that they are going to have a bit of a kick to them.

Just my $.02
#36 - August 29, 2006, 03:09:25 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mike (AZBarbeque)

This was posted by RichM on the AZBBQA site, but I thought I would post it here as well in case any of you were interested in joining this team...

My BBQ restaurant client, Big City BBQ, is interested in forming a BBQ Team and hopes to compete in the Lake Pleasant event.

I had a meeting at their Mesa restaurant the other day, and a couple of their chefs are briliant BBQ guys, with some of the most amazing BBQ stories I have ever heard (like what to do with the Thanksgiving Turkey while it is still alive to better prepare it for smoking).  The challenge, of course, is that operating a restaurant means that they are tied up on most weekends when competitions are happening, especially Labor Day Weekend for the State Championship.  Their solution is to sponsor a community BBQ team.

Therefore, the marketing manager asked me to post a request for people in the community who might be interested in co-founding a Big City BBQ team to compete in upcoming regional events.  I think everyone will learn a lot from each other, and I think a community team would be a lot of fun.

If you are interested, contact Joe Rodriquez at Big City BBQ.  His office phone number is (480) 844-1010 and cell is (480) 620-3765.  Also you can reach him via email at joe AT bigcitybbq com.  If you are not familiar with them, visit their website at www.bigcitybbq.com.  I told them that I am on board to help out any way I can, at least with helping on a team logo design, and I would love to learn more about creating winning competition BBQ.
#37 - August 30, 2006, 02:08:33 pm
Michael J. Reimann

devil daddy

MIke,
I will pt mu feelers out to find someone for this event!
Ryan
#38 - August 30, 2006, 03:59:38 pm

ron b

i am meeting with the owner on tuesday will et everyone know the outcome.
ron b.
#39 - August 31, 2006, 09:10:48 am
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey all, I talked with a bunch of you at Taylor.  If you are planning on competing at this Lake Pleasant Event and will need a larger space than a 20X20, you need to get your registrations in now as we are almost out of the larger spaces.

Once they are gone, we will have to charge for a larger space.  Right now they are free.  Please get your registrations in soon if you need the larger space.  20X20 is standard and we have plenty of them left, most registrations so far have taken the larger spaces, so they are running out.

Thanks and hope to see you out there..

Mike
#40 - September 06, 2006, 09:30:43 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Thom Emery

Mike I dont remember the rules as far as the Contractors Div. goes. 
Prepare on site what else?
#41 - September 19, 2006, 08:02:34 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Needs to be prepared on site, can be anything they want to cook as long as it can be cooked on site and on a Charcoal or Wood BBQ.  No Propane allowed.

Can't be a dessert either.  Has to be a food.
#42 - September 19, 2006, 08:27:21 pm
Michael J. Reimann

ron b

umm no desert? i thiought u siad dessert eas ok?
#43 - September 19, 2006, 08:56:56 pm
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

Mike (AZBarbeque)

You are more than welcome to bring me a dessert...  ;D
#44 - September 19, 2006, 09:20:51 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Thom Emery

Them Judges will be a needen dessert
Are we going to have a Cooks Dessert PotLuck Friday Evening?
#45 - September 20, 2006, 05:59:44 am
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 06:07:21 am by Thom Emery »
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Members: