AZ Barbeque.com

Linked Events

• Brisket Only Competition: October 25, 2009

October 2009 Brisket Only Competition Sponsored by Famous Daves

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Ok all, we have locked in a date & time for this next Brisket Only competition and it will come just in time to get some practice in before the Big November event.

Famous Dave's and AZBarbeque are proud to announce the details for our second ever Brisket Only Contest.

When:  Sunday, October 25th, 2009.

Where:  Famous Dave's Peoria Restaurant located off the 101 & Bell Road by Arrowhead.

Time:  Turn in's are at Noon.  Doors open at 11 am.  I plan on being there by 10 am to get set up.

Please plan to arrive early as we are going to also use this as a Social for the club as well.  Bring out your family and friends and enjoy some of Famous Dave's great food and enjoy meeting and talking with all of our great members.

This will be a great warm up for Pulte.  Please bring your Brisket wrapped in foil and in either a small cooler or foil pan so that we don't make too big of a mess.

Here is a list of prizes as of right now.  We are hoping to get more sponsors to jump onboard and donate some great prizes for this event.

Main Competition

1st Place Brisket - $100 gift card to Famous Daves and a Famous Daves BBQ variety pack

2nd Place Brisket - $50 gift card to Famous Daves and a Famous Daves BBQ variety pack

3rd Place Brisket -  $25 gift card to Famous Daves and a Famous Daves BBQ variety pack

People's Choice

1st Place People's Choice - $50 gift card to Famous Daves and a Famous Daves BBQ variety pack

2nd Place People's Choice -  $25 gift card to Famous Daves and a Famous Daves BBQ variety pack

Please sign up by responding here.  Entry is $10/Brisket, so if you cook more than 1 Brisket to turn in, it's $10 for each one.  YES, you can turn in more than 1 Brisket if you would like to try a few different cooking methods on each and get the feedback.  Max is 3 Turn in's per person.  

Rules:

Brisket's must be DONE when you arrive, we will not be able to bring any Cookers/Smokers to Famous Daves or use their equipment, so you must have it finished on arrival.  Please make sure it is in compliance with Health Dept Rules and keep it over 140 degrees.

We would suggest you cook it as you would normally for a competition so that you can get the practice and feedback from it.

Judges:  

We would love to have some CBJ's come out and "Judge" this event.  The Judging will be a bit different as we will be looking for feedback on each one so as to help our cooks improve.

The rest of us will then also get a chance to come around and see and taste all the different Briskets.

Bring the family out and let's make a social of it.  I'm sure Famous Dave's will have some great food and drink specials for us and our members as well, so let's make it a great day and enjoy another great AZBarbeque event.  ;)  

Also, I'm sure there will be some great Football games on the TV's there for us to enjoy.

Who's coming and who's competing?  Please RSVP..
#1 - October 07, 2009, 12:02:53 am
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:08:50 am by Mike (AZBarbeque) »
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

bbqphx.com

Sounds good, I'm sure my pastrami will be a big hit!!   :D
Sign me up for one brisket and two people.  Thanks Mike, this will be quite helpful!!
#2 - October 07, 2009, 07:26:12 am
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:27:56 am by bbqphx.com »
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

smitty250

I am in. I will bring 1 maybe 2 briskets. Molly and the kids will come as well.
#3 - October 07, 2009, 08:57:47 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

KidCurry

Had a great time last year would sure love to be able to make it this year....maybe I can convince the wife to cook a brisket and I'll come down just for the judging. ;D

I know my brisket from last year was a little over done, but I had to make sure it was hot enough for the ride down!  ;)

#4 - October 07, 2009, 08:58:33 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

RudedoggAZ

I'm in... Coty and I and possibly a few others will be there - Mark me down for one brisket por favor
#5 - October 07, 2009, 09:37:47 am

Mark

Since the briskets are brought whole, will each competitor bring their own cutting boards and knives...or will the judges or F.D. chefs carve them to uniform proportions?
#6 - October 07, 2009, 10:30:11 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

KidCurry

Last year most people brought their own knives and cutting boards.  Mike had some cutting boards available, which was good because I don't have a good one to carry around.  I did bring my own knife but was glad Crash was willing to lend me his when I dropped mine on the ground half way through cutting my brisket up.

Turns in where like IBCA, sliced in a foam container, no garnish just a sheet of thin foil.

#7 - October 07, 2009, 11:16:31 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Awesome to hear a lot of you will be there, hoping to get 25 Briskets once again.

Cutting boards will be provided once again and we will have knives there if you need them, but we do recommend that you bring the knife you are familiar with.

Each competitor will slice up their own brisket and box it for the judges.  We will have people there to assist as needed..
#8 - October 07, 2009, 11:27:13 am
Michael J. Reimann

AzJohnnyC

Is it just flats?
#9 - October 07, 2009, 12:31:44 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

KidCurry

Last year I brought the entire packer...cut the flat to be judged and then cut up the point and the rest of the flat for the peoples choice.  I believe this is what most people did but i could be wrong.
#10 - October 07, 2009, 02:06:40 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

ron b

is this is just like last year right cut, box, sample to 40 correct?........... this year no lettuce or kcbs judging? good time last year did not win but fun.
ron
#11 - October 07, 2009, 02:28:33 pm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:11:31 pm by ron b »
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I would recommend Full Packers, but you can do whatever you like.  Just make sure if you want to be in the People's choice part of the competition that you bring enough for that. 

It's just small 2 oz samples they get, but you still want to have some left over for them.
#12 - October 07, 2009, 05:19:44 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Uzona

Laura and I are in.  See ya there.
#13 - October 08, 2009, 08:35:54 am
Don
BBQ Castaways.

Mike (AZBarbeque)

The Reigning Champ is returning to defend his title...  ;)
#14 - October 08, 2009, 11:29:30 am
Michael J. Reimann

ron b

well my bears are in cincinatti.. but guess i can throw a brisket in the mix what can i get for last??? :'( :angel:
rjb
#15 - October 08, 2009, 01:01:18 pm
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

Members: