AZ Barbeque.com

Poll

What weekend in November would work the best for this event?

November 7th - 8th
November 14th - 15th
November 21st - 22nd
November 28th - 29th

November 2008 Arizona State Championship Cook-off

Discussion started on

force

This is good stuff..............

I believe I can now speak from experience organizing an event....... in conjunction with Mike..... We started the Avondale event in October...... Pulled it off in February........ exceeded our goal.........of raising monies.... and thank you so much for the competitors that made it happen..... without you...... it wouldn't have.......

My point....... when first breached with my district..... many could not visualize the event happening at the level it did... heck... they had no idea about bbqing..... just some guys showing up and using a grill....... well they have a new level of appreciation and they want it again......... I work a full time job running a school........ have another consulting job as well....... and I am sure many of you have jobs..... like Mike........ I have a great appreciation now for Mike.......... I can't even begin to tell you how much time I spent with that event in planning.... etc........ including the military........ and sponsors....... and A$$ kickin and John Deere are no small potatoe sponsors....... but even so....... their demands and time are incredible... and you know what..... If you want their support and MONEY......... you will cater to them...... and working with schools is NOT like working with businesses........... they are very conservative........ So if you want the sponsors to pony up......and place their name on an event........ it better be more than just people showing up to eat bbq....... it needs to be an EVENT......... something special...... so I understand Mike's point about STATE Championship.......... so unless you have been in that saddle......... the ride is not so easy........it is really hard to pound the pavement and raise money..... try it... I agree........ you don't want to water down the state championship...... but if we have certified our own judges...... then we do have a 3rd party situation with judging..... now running the event with a 3rd party could be tougher..... because you will have to pay them too........ MORE MONEY... needed..... Also.......... I found out just how tough it is to cook and run an event.. WOW>..... I don't know how Mike does it and wins......... trust me....... I would pick cooking over running the event and cooking......... and regarding the other association......maybe this is the link for commonality...... because they are in the same boat............ then we have doubled our abilities..............and talents..............

I would be more than happy to start a thread on organizations and their successes......... I do know........ the greatest risk one takes....... IS NOT TAKING IT............... as experienced as those creating dialogue in this thread........ we certainly have the experience and knowledge to create our own destiny......... there use to be just the big 3 car companies...... and no one could touch them.......... so they thought......... how many are there now?  Time to place a dent in the universe..... We can do this and still have KC events..........and again...... it sounds like you don't need their blessing to participate in the big events........................ by the way...... the icbs.... is cheaper.......... about $1500......to sanction.....
#61 - April 30, 2008, 07:12:07 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

force

One more thing....... regarding the other organization.. maybe this is the link for commonality............ they are in the same boat we are............... this would increase our abilities and talents..................
#62 - April 30, 2008, 07:14:24 pm

BBQCZAR

Tim, I am not advocating that every event be KCBS sanctioned.  I am, however, strongly behind the idea that only events sanctioned by KCBS or IBCA be designated as State Championships so as to make them very important contests and not diluted by being perhaps the 7th or 8th State Championship of the year.

As for needing every event to be a State Championship so as to please sponsors due to the prestige, that makes no sense.  How can something have great prestige when it is common to every event?  By making only the KCBS or IBCA sanctioned events State Championships they truly do become prestigious because they are a scarce commodity.

Ok,I misunderstood then,I thought that you and Jay were talking about haveing every comp be KCBS sanctioned.I agree about the state championships,they should be IBCA or KCBS sanctioned,there really should only be maybe 2 a year,maybe a spring state championship and a fall championship .Just because the govenor will give proclomations for events I don't think they should all be called "state championships".And if there are only like 2 State Championships per year,that give people time to line up sponsors,money,good asites,advertising,etc. so that there would possibly be greater prize money and the money avalaible for KCBS sanctioning.Just my .02 cents on all of this  :)
#63 - May 01, 2008, 08:59:10 am
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Jaybird

Tim, I am not advocating that every event be KCBS sanctioned.  I am, however, strongly behind the idea that only events sanctioned by KCBS or IBCA be designated as State Championships so as to make them very important contests and not diluted by being perhaps the 7th or 8th State Championship of the year.

As for needing every event to be a State Championship so as to please sponsors due to the prestige, that makes no sense.  How can something have great prestige when it is common to every event?  By making only the KCBS or IBCA sanctioned events State Championships they truly do become prestigious because they are a scarce commodity.

Ok,I misunderstood then,I thought that you and Jay were talking about haveing every comp be KCBS sanctioned.I agree about the state championships,they should be IBCA or KCBS sanctioned,there really should only be maybe 2 a year,maybe a spring state championship and a fall championship .Just because the govenor will give proclomations for events I don't think they should all be called "state championships".And if there are only like 2 State Championships per year,that give people time to line up sponsors,money,good asites,advertising,etc. so that there would possibly be greater prize money and the money avalaible for KCBS sanctioning.Just my .02 cents on all of this  :)

Yeah, and you know that's my fault. Sometimes I don't explain myself very well. It takes Vince one post to say everything just right and about 10 for me and still can't get it right.
Also, it's the 'we'll certify our own judges' and 'create our own sanctioning body' talk that's got me worried. We're still trying to recover from the Rawhide scandal and there are some that want to go to, well, what they are calling 'the next level'. I think alot more learning experiences are needed before anyone thinks about creating this new level.

#64 - May 01, 2008, 09:18:31 am

Lynn

Hello everyone - IBCA would love to sanction more events in the AZ area if we can get past the Rawhide problem.

I have found that most of the teams in the area all want that print out that KCBS gives but to keep it totally blind (as our system with tickets) it would require a lot more manpower than 1 or 2 people.  Each ticket would have to be removed from each tray (but only the ticket number could be posted with a score because of not knowing who the container belows to).

I hope that all of you might consider coming over to Silver City and cook in June - I will be the Head Judge at that event.

Good Luck on all of your smokin' adventures.
#65 - May 01, 2008, 01:14:55 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey all, it looks like that November 8th date will once again fall on NASCAR Weekend.

I don't think Pulte wants to try to compete with NASCAR like we did last year, so maybe moving it up a week to either October 31st - November 1st or the following week of November 14th - 15th.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks...  ;)
#66 - May 07, 2008, 06:51:32 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

VisionQuest220

I like Nov. 14 better than I like Oct. 31.  Having an event on Halloween is not a good idea, in my opinion.
#67 - May 07, 2008, 09:24:22 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

BBQCZAR

I like Nov. 14 better than I like Oct. 31.  Having an event on Halloween is not a good idea, in my opinion.

I agree,Halloween is not good time  ???
#68 - May 07, 2008, 09:45:56 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Pulte will make the final decision, but I agree, Halloween night is not a good one either.
#69 - May 07, 2008, 10:20:23 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

force

Stay away from Halloween...........
#70 - May 08, 2008, 09:59:36 pm

desertdog

Stay away from Halloween...........

I know, it's just so......spooky.

#71 - May 13, 2008, 11:20:31 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Members: