AZ Barbeque.com

Poll

What weekend in November would work the best for this event?

November 7th - 8th
November 14th - 15th
November 21st - 22nd
November 28th - 29th

November 2008 Arizona State Championship Cook-off

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Most of them will be, we are in talks with some other cities as well, but nothing firm yet that we can announce.  Everything will be within 2 - 3 hours of Phoenix.
#31 - April 29, 2008, 12:25:03 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Jaybird

Posted this question on Ray Basso's Forum:

How do you all feel about non-KCBS contests that are Jack qualifiers because of a Governors proc and have the right amount of teams. Will be using KCBS rules and mostly CBJ's. Point is there will be more money for teams without having to pay for KCBS sanctioning. This is something being discussed in my state. Pros? Cons? Thanks

Some responses:
 From Drbbq, Ray Lampe

Hi Jay,
I don't think it's a problem that they are JD qualifiers, but I do think that at some point KCBS is going to have to ask all of these contests that are claiming to use the KCBS rules and system to stop doing that or at least stop promoting it as such. KCBS has built the system and now there seems to be a movement to blow them off and just use their name and it's just not right.
You want to have an unsanctioned contest, go ahead, but don't use our name in your promotion

From Podge, winner of last years Jack
As long as it meets the requirements of being a JD qualifier, and is a well-ran contest with good money, and ran as if it were a KCBS contest, I would consider such a contest (and have in the past)

From Rollin' Smoke
Jay, I know it can be done because we did it in Kettering, Ohio last year with good results. That was the first contest and the only reason we elected to go the unsanctioned route was because we didn't want to build too much overhead into the project until we knew it would become an annual event. This year will be our second contest and we are a KCBS sanctioned event. The only 'pro' I saw of not sanctioning was keeping the sanctioning fees in the purse as you pointed out. A few of the downsides of not sanctioning last year included lack of advertising, not having the support of a major sanctioning body, the lack of qualified reps onsite to officiate and minimal access to certified judges...just to name a few. The bottom line is we ran a good event, the GC went to Lynchburg and my partner, myself and our team worked our butts off. It was worth it because the cooking teams all seemed to have a great time. It is costing more this year with the sanctioning fees and associated costs but we are looking forward to it more since we will have the support of two great reps and the KCBS

From Scottie, cancersuckschicago.com, winner of the '06 Jack
 I know that Tana used to consider them. Obviously if they followed rules of a santctioning body, I would guess that is better. You would still have to meet allof the requirements for the Jack or the AR. And make sure that they have that information in their hands Way before the draw date...

Good luck Jay.

Scottie

This isn't all the responses and I am sure there will be more. Just picked a few out. To read more go to www.bbqforum.com and scroll down.  Thanks

#32 - April 29, 2008, 02:17:01 pm

Jaybird

Another response:

From Dr Smoke
drbbq is right. Being a KCBS CBJ for 7 years and BBQ cook for 3, I would not judge a non-sanctioned KCBS BBQ contest, I have pride in being a KCBS CBJ and a KCBS BBQ contest cook.
#33 - April 29, 2008, 03:10:14 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thanks Jay, I saw your posting on the CBBQA and have been following it, but it is good to hear what these people have to say as well.

As for not judging an event just because it's not KCBS, I don't think that would fly, we have too few Cook-offs here in AZ and with gas $$ the way it is, I'm sure all the CBJ's here in AZ would jump at the chance to come out and judge an event.

Great comments though.  I look forward to discussing it with Merl this weekend.  Jay, maybe you, me, Vince and a few others could set aside an hour to meet and brainstorm with Merl while we are over there, I would really value that.  Let me know.  ;)
#34 - April 29, 2008, 04:18:06 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Jaybird

That would be great to talk to Merl about this. I am still in favor of KCBS sanctioning. I've cooked KCBS contests for over 7 years and I trust the judging and it's system. I know of alot of teams that feel the same way. I hear alot of opinions at contests here in Arizona. I just don't hear them here on the forums. I'm not sure if people just don't have the balls or what. I could name these teams but I won't.

I will now shutup...again...so other people can man-up!!
#35 - April 29, 2008, 05:12:42 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I hear alot of opinions ... here in Arizona. I just don't hear them here on the forums. I'm not sure if people just don't have the balls or what. I could name these teams but I won't.

Now this quote I can totally relate to Jay, not just on this KCBS Subject, but in general.  I can't tell you how many phone calls, PM's, e-mails and chats I have with people regarding BBQ here in AZ that just never make it onto the forum for everyone to see.  Sometimes that is the problem, we need people to Man-Up... ;)
#36 - April 29, 2008, 05:26:22 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Jaybird

Yes Mike, this is about THIS subject and not in general. If you want to start another thread.. go for it.
#37 - April 29, 2008, 06:47:44 pm

force

I haven't been competing to the level and length of time of cookers like Jay and few....... but I judged at Lake Pleasant and since then have been competing........ all these events may not have all the certified judges.. but I do see the same teams over and over again as GC or RC and in the top 5.......... which tells me....... those teams are consistent and do it right...... with or without all certified judges......... so Jay.......... you win with or without certified judges......... so even those not experienced....... still find the quality of your cooking.......

I repeat......... and Mike you have already started to take the lead with your own criteria and style of judging....... and if it doesn't matter being sanctioned by KC to get to jack........... then it's time for AZ bbq judging certification  and sanctioning..... you have to start somewhere........ and KC will always be the grand daddy like the rose bowl....... but not all national championships are played there anymore........ Do you know how many people, organizations and bowls said the Fiesta Bowl wouldn't last 3 years because it started here in AZ........... well I'm a native and heard that stuff for years... well look at the Fiesta bowl now..... We have the 4th largest city in the nation........ I don't believe KC is close......  My point...... Let's form our own sanctioning set up for AZ........ if we don't .. somebody will eventually do it....... and we have some great teams here that could help...........with a vision....... we could be recognized........ time to crystalize the vision....
#38 - April 29, 2008, 07:23:33 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Yes Mike, this is about THIS subject and not in general. If you want to start another thread.. go for it.

;D  ;D  ;D
#39 - April 29, 2008, 07:40:00 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Jaybird

Chris, with all due respect, that is just not how it works. Sounds easy... but you know everything ain't easy.

Damn, I just can't shutup.
#40 - April 29, 2008, 07:40:47 pm

Jaybird

;D  ;D  ;D

;D ;D ??? ;D ;D
#41 - April 29, 2008, 07:43:56 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Jay, don't shut up, this is a great topic and one that we have really been looking forward to discussing.  I am really appreciating all the feedback, suggestions and Ideas.

I Truly want to make BBQ events here in AZ as appealing as we can and hopefully some day, making it a destination point like the Jack and Royal, so the only way to do that is to get all the input and go from there.

Will we ever make everyone happy, heck no, but we certainly try our best.

Keep them coming..
#42 - April 29, 2008, 07:48:12 pm
Michael J. Reimann

BBQCZAR

I looked at most of the replies as well and I think that maybe it depends on the prize money.If there is enough to pay for sanctioning and maybe have a 10K prize pool,then ok,but if the prize money total is only 5K then how can you spend most of it on sanctioning,and you wouldn't get any out of state teams for that price either. I can say one thing about Ray Basso's forum,alot of those guys there don't have a clue what they are talking about when they were saying that you can't use KCBS rules and have a unsanctioned contest.If someone wants to do a contest and they do not use any OFFICIAL KCBS score cards,banners,postings,etc. there is nothing the KCBS can do,if all you are saying is "do this contest like you would do if it was a KCBS contest" then KCBS can do nothing,they cannot force anyone to have a no-garnish comp,or change turn-in times to like later in the day,or change entries, or not use the EXACT same scoring system as KCBS, as long as they do not use any OFFICIAL KCBS cards,computer programs,etc. I would like to see ALL Az. contesets KCBS sanctioned,but the reality is that maybe the money just will not be there ,especailly as this economy gets worse,sponsor money is going to get alot harder to come by,just look at all the cancelled contests already this year. I gues maybe the correct question would be,would anyone be interested in paying $500 entry fee for a contest if it would be sanctioned by KCBS and the prize pool was only $5,000 ? Probably few takers  :(
#43 - April 29, 2008, 08:09:37 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Thom Emery

Got three going this week
One unsanctioned
If you want to talk about this subject look me up at Stagecoach
#44 - April 29, 2008, 08:26:52 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

desertdog

if it doesn't matter being sanctioned by KC to get to jack........... then it's time for AZ bbq judging certification  and sanctioning..... you have to start somewhere........ and KC will always be the grand daddy like the rose bowl....... but not all national championships are played there anymore........ Do you know how many people, organizations and bowls said the Fiesta Bowl wouldn't last 3 years because it started here in AZ........... well I'm a native and heard that stuff for years... well look at the Fiesta bowl now..... We have the 4th largest city in the nation........ I don't believe KC is close......  My point...... Let's form our own sanctioning set up for AZ........ if we don't .. somebody will eventually do it....... and we have some great teams here that could help...........with a vision....... we could be recognized........ time to crystalize the vision....

Why isn't this something to be considered?

If anything, having AZ certified Judges will add a greater degree of legitimacy to the local contests without the KCBS pricetag.  Competitors can feel confident that those judging have at least had some formal training, and it may set a trend that could be duplicated elsewhere. 

What am I missing in all this?  Jay, why isn't it how it all works?  Or am I really just THAT naive?

Dean
#45 - April 29, 2008, 09:02:49 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Members: