AZ Barbeque.com
Likes 11 Likes

Greetings fellow Quers! First visit!

Discussion started on

XrayCat

Hello! This is my first time posting so I figured I'd tell you a bit about myself. I live in Tucson, AZ. I got my first true smoker last year for Father's Day, a Pit Boss 1100 pro Series. I absolutely love it! (I know, I know, the stick burners will mock me, I'm ok with that). I am now the BBQ king in my family and neighborhood.

I've always loved grilling. I have tried roasting ribs in the oven and then searing them on the grill. They were good but now that I've learned what true Q is, it's the only way to go. I HAVE THE BBQ ITCH! So much so that my friend and I are entering our first competition in Show Low. I am even considering quitting my full time job and becoming a professional BBQer if all goes well.

With that said, a couple of questions if you please.

1) Any competition tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
2) Competition thighs, scrape the skin or no?

I'm sure I'll have more as I practice and try different techniques.

It's a pleasure to be among friends and I look forward to meeting you.
#1 - February 22, 2021, 11:59:45 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome Tim, great to have you here.  Look forward to meeting you soon at one of our great events.

Post up some photos of your smoker & cooks.

Enjoy the site and all it has to offer.  Lots of great info on here.
#2 - February 25, 2021, 09:40:41 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

DesertQ BBQ

I think the best advice I can give on competitions is - learn and practice. Trying to find a class to attend is definitely helpful. There are places like BBQ Champs Academy (https://bbqchamps.com/) - which our local guy Smitty of Loot N' Booty BBQ has classes on - and The BBQ League (https://www.thebbqleague.com/), which are both great options. In Tucson, you might find a class once in a while at Arizona Grill & Hearth, though you'll have more luck if you're willing to drive up to the greater Phoenix area (if you can stand those dang Sun Devils! ??? :D). And if you can go out and judge a competition, you can also see what kind of turn-ins people do. Now for chicken skins, you'll likely hear both sides. I have done both and really don't see too much need as long as you're doing a good job with trimming and getting the big chunks of fat out of the way. Again - that's just me.

Welcome to the group!

P.S. - you out there grilling and sharing on Instagram/Facebook/etc.? Feel free to share your info here. I'm all over at desertqbbq. I really just started out on the competition side myself - got hooked right before the year of the 'Rona...
#3 - March 22, 2021, 01:33:31 pm
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 02:05:18 pm by DesertQ BBQ »

Bobby

Hey Newbie; My name is Bobby Owens and I'm in Tucson to, been with Az. BBQ for 5 years and you can't beat the organization. Mike is the nicest guy and his wife Kelly are some of the amazing people you will ever meet make you feel like family. If you ever have any questions or need help be sure and look me up Root'n Toot'n BBQ Team i'd be more than happy to help you out. See ya in Show Low and best of luck to you.  ;D :P
#4 - March 23, 2021, 02:01:17 pm

Bobby

Hi Timothy ..... My name is Bobby Owens and my team is Root'n Toot'n BBQ.  I too am from Tucson.  I have been in AZ BBQ for 5 years and LOVE it!  Mike and Kelly are two of the nicest people you will ever meet and their organization is GREAT .... One great big family!  Look forward to meeting you and your team in Show Low.  In the meantime, if I can help you out, hit me up.  Happy to do what I can for you.   ;D
#5 - March 23, 2021, 02:10:17 pm

XrayCat

Hey Newbie; My name is Bobby Owens and I'm in Tucson to, been with Az. BBQ for 5 years and you can't beat the organization. Mike is the nicest guy and his wife Kelly are some of the amazing people you will ever meet make you feel like family. If you ever have any questions or need help be sure and look me up Root'n Toot'n BBQ Team i'd be more than happy to help you out. See ya in Show Low and best of luck to you.  ;D :P
Thanks for the kind words Bobby!  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone up in Show Low and having a great time.  My chicken is still a struggle.  It seems no matter how try to prep them, skin scrapped, skin trimmed, injected, not injected, it still comes out bad.  The skin is rubbery and slides away from the meat and my sauce is far too thick.  Every other meat I'm really pleased with.  We'll figure it out hopefully.  See you soon!
#6 - April 06, 2021, 02:19:17 am

Members: