AZ Barbeque.com

AZBBQA Saddle Sore Ranch Four Meat Cookoff And Campout

Discussion started on

VisionQuest220

http://www.azbbqa.net/smf/index.php?topic=2143.0

Is anyone planning to compete in this event?  I think it would be a great opportunity to try some of the things we learned at the cooking class.  We're very seriously considering this event but we have to check out schedules before we can commit.
#1 - March 04, 2007, 01:51:56 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Vince, I'm with you.  Too early to tell.  I have to see where we are with finances at that time. 

I really hope to as I also would like to put some of that new found knowledge to work.  ;)

Guys, this would be a fantastic contest to "Get your feet wet", so if you are on the edge about competing in it, I say "Go For It".  If nothing more than the experience.

Hope to see you all out there.  ;)
#2 - March 04, 2007, 03:37:10 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

VisionQuest220

Another thing that makes this event friendly to everyone is the low entry fee.  Only $25 per meat category so just $100 for the whole enchilada.  That is mighty appealing to us right now.

One other thing...even if you don't plan to compete, it might be a great opportunity to be a judge.  That would certainly give a diferent perspective on things and probably offer some valuable insight.
#3 - March 04, 2007, 03:40:46 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

AMEN to that...
#4 - March 04, 2007, 03:41:18 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Copied from Aaron on the AZBBQA site:

OK, I am ready to start taking registration for the four meat contest. This is going to be a laid back contest like the Hoof & Foot where everyone can come out and cook and party a little. The contest is in late April so it will be hot during the day. There will be about 4-6 spaces available under the shed in the shade. They are first registered first served so if you want them, register early. Anyone who wants to stay out until Sunday is also welcome to do so. This is a fun oppurtunity for some of you newer members to come out and meet some of the cookers and eat some really good food.

Everyone can come out as early on Friday as they want. Friday night we will have a potluck in the bar. I will supply pulled pork and beans unless someone else wants to cook meat for Friday night. I am open to suggestions. The bar will be open for poker, music, and anything else that we are interested in doing. Maybe Mark and Hombre will do some table dances. You have to bring your own alcohol though. I am interested in making this a fun event for Friday night so if anyone has any ideas let me know. Anyone wants to come out and campout and enjoy the potluck is welcome, including non-memebers. I am also taking names for judges, so if you know someone who is interested in judging have them register with me. I am also looking for a few volunteers to help run the contest, so if anyone has a little time that would be great.

When:
April 27th-28th

Where:
Saddle Sore Ranch (Hoof & Foot location). Queen Creek, AZ

Entry is $25 per category. I am going to try to get some sponsor $$$ but payout will depend on the number of teams that register for the contest. There is also an anything goes which will be $10, winner take all.

Send a check payable to AZBBQA with your:
Team Name
Head Cook
Address
Phone number

to Aaron Shreeve
2532 N. Horne
Mesa, AZ
I also have a flyer that I can send. E Mail me if you want it.  bloodofheroes@cox.net

Dont be shy. Feel free to call me at 480-329-8728 if you have any questions. And like I said, everyone is welcome to come out.
#5 - March 04, 2007, 03:43:56 pm
Michael J. Reimann

VisionQuest220

I just posted a question in the AZBBQA board thread about whether this event will be using KCBS or IBCA guidelines for meats and turn in boxes.  I'll post the answer here when we get one.
#6 - March 04, 2007, 03:50:17 pm

Thom Emery

Its KCBS
#7 - March 04, 2007, 07:15:20 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

VisionQuest220

Yeah, that's the answer on the AZBBQA.  Sorry Thom, no half chicken for this event but there will be plenty of rabbit food!
#8 - March 04, 2007, 07:18:49 pm

Thom Emery

Well I am sure you all will have fun no mater how that Chicken is cut
#9 - March 05, 2007, 06:50:33 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

BBQCZAR

I also do not know at this time if I can make it.I REALLY do hope the turn out is better than the Hoof and Foot,it would be better for the association that way, and it would be more fun to have more teams and more people.I am going to look at my schedule this weekend and see what I can do about getting in on this event,but may not be able to do it though.
#10 - March 05, 2007, 09:10:53 am
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

VisionQuest220

Although it will be a little while before we know for sure if we can compete, I do believe that we'll volunteer to judge if competing doesn't work out.  Our first hope, though, is to compete.
#11 - March 05, 2007, 09:28:34 am

Jaybird

You WILL be able to compete. When do you really know if you can't compete? We didn't win our first grand championship until our fifth year. That doesn't mean it will take YOU that long. It takes alot of practice and persistence to start getting those trips to the stage consistantly. But if that's what you want, you will do it. This is like any other sport, you only get back what you put into it. I don't know of any teams that gave up once they started. They may not all be winning GC's, but none have given up.
  Don't mean to sound like a high school football coach, just talking from our experience. We had some very frustrating times along the way and I'm sure there's some to come yet.
#12 - March 05, 2007, 10:11:28 am
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:25:38 am by Jaybird »

VisionQuest220

Jay, that was like a message from the BBQ Gods!

Our only reservation right now has to do with business scheduling.  I'm self-employed and if something really big comes in for either of those days I'll have to be responsible and work.  (Damn the responsibility, damn it to Hell!!)

I have no doubt that we'll have our successes along the way and I know that the only way we'll get there is to enter the events.  We've definitely got the desire but that doggone job gets in the way now and then.

The one thing I think that matters most at this point is to support the events in any way possible, whether it be by competing, judging or helping to organize.
#13 - March 05, 2007, 10:33:41 am

gstanle

Hey VQ,

I'm coming out from Cal. to do this event. I'm going to go ahead and sign up for all four meats. If you decide at the last minute you want to do it, you can come and cook with me. I'll have both WSM's with me. You can bring your WSM and pick a meat or two to do, and we can split the cost accordingly. I need practice on everything, and I certainly don't have a specialty yet, so I'm not particular about what I turn in. Plus, I may be cooking by myself.
#14 - March 05, 2007, 01:36:59 pm
Proud Member of P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Jaybird

I do have 2 WSM's and a kettle if someone needs to borrow them. I think I might come out and have a few cold ones with you guys. Maybe they need help judging.
#15 - March 05, 2007, 01:47:10 pm
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:49:08 pm by Jaybird »

Members: