AZ Barbeque.com

6-27/28 Gold State Championship, Hesperia, CA IBCA Sanctioned

Discussion started on

BBQCZAR

This contest was capped at 21 teams I think,next year it will be bigger Thom said. I think we will try this one next year,been too busy at work to get to some of these contests.I want to do 3 more Ca. contest this year,just not sure I will be able to make them.
#16 - June 24, 2008, 08:06:34 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Thom Emery

I had two teams cancel
Its really a 20 team cap
room for one more
#17 - June 25, 2008, 05:56:36 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Quiggs

Whoa!!  Thom just checked in and see you have opening.  I need to check with partner to see if he can bring our home away from home and ask the wifey this evening.  I will call asap, is the 2119 number you?

Dave Q 
#18 - June 25, 2008, 03:26:02 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

Thom Emery

yep thats me come on down
State Championship at $75 entry fee
 with  $3500 prize money
You will never see that again
#19 - June 25, 2008, 03:40:53 pm

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

desertdog

Whoa!!  Thom just checked in and see you have opening.  I need to check with partner to see if he can bring our home away from home and ask the wifey this evening.  I will call asap, is the 2119 number you?

Dave Q 

Come on Dave, Represent AZ.  I'll see you there (I'm judging Sat), look forward to a good time with our SOCAL BBQ brethern!

Dean
#20 - June 25, 2008, 08:34:46 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Quiggs

OK were in!!  Now we just have to figure out the ICBA stuff. Thom I will call you later....

Dave Q
#21 - June 26, 2008, 06:39:45 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com

Quiggs

OK the one AZ team to go to Hesperia SUCKED!  Sorry AZ it was my team, we did not have one top ten out of 20 teams.  Thought my ribs were the best ever but guess not..  The chicken half thing was very strange compared to KCBS, I saw teams just grilling them an hour before turn, we did our slow method and it came out very nice to me but again no luck.  Thay had a hard time esplainin' the pulled pork to most teams and Thom said next year will be different.

The site was very nice and Thom put on a great event.  The Hesperia Parks Dept pulled out all the stops to accomodate us.  We had power with all sites (30 amp in our case) water hose at each site, three bay sinks set up every so often down the street plus Flush Porcelain Portable toilets with sinks!  Trash cans, ash cans, grey water tanks and even fireworks show on Saturday Night. 

Had a great time and will go back next year after some IBCS practice.

Dave Q
Smokin' Dead Meat
#22 - June 30, 2008, 07:57:19 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback, I heard it was a great contest.  IBCA is a different style, but I personally prefer it.  Keep on practicing with the IBCA meats and you will master it in no time.   The Chicken is the main difference and once you start cooking half chickens normally, you will figure out how to master them.

Congrats on representing AZ, wish we could have been out there with you.

Great Job.

Mike
#23 - June 30, 2008, 08:15:48 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

desertdog

Agree with Dave,

Great event and it went off without a hitch.  The town of Hesperia were very accomodationg and friendly, and have done a great job creating their new town center.  The Friday night Potluck was great, some unbelievable eats and plenty of adult beverages kept us going into the wee hours.

I must say that from a judges perspective, I am no fan of the IBCA.  Taking one bite out of 20 boxes does not really give the judge time to properly evaluate the entry, especially after 12 other people have cut off thier piece.  How do I judge appearance at that point?  Anyway, had lots of fun and would definitely consider it for next year.

Sorry about your showing, Dave, but do not let it discourage you.  there are plenty of folks on this site who have had a poor showing and the next time they are walking...ya never know......as Vince would say; practice, practice, practice, then practice some more.

Dean
#24 - July 01, 2008, 08:20:47 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Jaybird

I'm not a fan of IBCA either for the points you made Dean. Anytime it takes more than an hour to taste someones brisket is annoying to me. I will avoid IBCA as much as I can.

Congrats to Thom for puttin on a great event. From what I hear it was smooth as silk.
#25 - July 01, 2008, 09:33:02 am

VisionQuest220

I think in Jaybirdland, IBCA stands for:

Interesting
But
Can't
Attend
#26 - July 01, 2008, 10:12:17 am
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Quiggs

LOL on the IBCA acronym..guess anything can be made fun of with minds like ours!! 

The one item that I don't get is scoring, now I am not whining here at all it was just different.  To not know what we scored at all seemed strange to me.  The double probationary secret (hint to Animal House) blind turn in box tickets makes sense for judging, but if you suck as we did you never know what your meat scored ever.  There was even an unclaimed winner because the judges don't know who you are unless you have the winning ticket in hand.  Only the top ten boxes (at this event) in each catagory got a score.  If your out of the top ten you have no idea where you stand.  I like going over the results as in Boulder to see where I need improvement (apparently everything) and learn from my mistakes.

OK that sounded like whining but it really is not, Thom put on one hell of an event we had everything we needed and more.  Plus lots of fun people to hang with and I will go back.

Dave Q

PS: Dean said he "kept going into the wee hours in the morning" it was because he brought Makers Mark, and nice dark beer to the party!  My kind of judge!!!  You can park your truck near my site allways!
#27 - July 01, 2008, 08:06:21 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com

VisionQuest220

It's not whining, Dave.  It's a cook's honest expression of the biggest flaw in the IBCA system.  Their judging process leaves a lot to be desired, especially if you are used to what you get in terms of feedback from the KCBS system.  I have no doubt that someone will come in and denounce the KCBS judging for the flaws in their system but I can honestly say that I'd drive twice as far for a smaller contest to compete in a KCBS event over a closer, higher paying IBCA event.  I happen to agree with those who say that the IBCA 1/2 chicken is a far better challenge than the KCBS chicken but I'll take that trade-off in order to have KCBS scoring and feedback.

Just my opinion.
#28 - July 02, 2008, 12:44:11 am
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Thom Emery

When using community members as judges this is the best way to get balanced scores
All Judges see all entries
At 20 teams it is a lot of food to eat, 20 samples LOL
 Its nice to have two systems in place given the 90 day rule and such

I like the KCBS System also with the read out and different cooking style
#29 - July 02, 2008, 04:39:53 pm

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Quiggs

Thom thanks for the event, we had a great time.  I sent an email to your parks dept contact and he replied already.  They thought it went well too.

Dave Q
#30 - July 02, 2008, 05:24:30 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com

Members: