AZ Barbeque.com

Blues Bruise And BBQ Cinco De Mayo

Discussion started on

Danny

Thanks for the invite Mike. It should be a lot of fun. But 30% of the total and 400.00 for a space and electric is a lot to give up. Maybe next year please keep use updated on future events. We had a blast at The Great American beer & BBQ Festival the people and sales were great.    Family Tradition BBQ.
#1 - March 27, 2012, 10:02:57 am
Family Tradition smokin BBQ

patzane

This was one of the worst BBQ festival I ever, ever been to in my life.  5.00 bucks to park, 10.00 to get in, and not much activity.  I spoke with 1 vendor around 8:30 before I left and is only sold 4 pork plate and 1 plate of chicken.  It was heart breaking to see him to have to throw away 3 full trays of pull pork and 1 whole tray of chicken.  Just sad
#2 - May 05, 2012, 11:07:22 pm
Raging Cajun Smoking BBQ
Watch Out For The Big Guy
(ASU Football  92-97, #67)

jimj

As a food vendor it kills me to see others get taken to the cleaners. I know how much we put into it and how hard we work to "hopefully" at least break even. There's a whole bunch of promoters out there that are unscrupulous,crooked or just plain stupid leaving financial carnage in their wake and weeding through them to find the good ones can be a challenge. Once you do find the good ones life can be great and very profitable!

I was concerned about this event since I started hearing from vendor friends who were offered "free entry" no cost,nada only to have it change a couple of weeks later to zero space rent fee but 30% at the end then reading space rent PLUS 30%. I'm sorry, if you can't even come up with and stick to a fee schedule,advertise,promote and otherwise drag the public in then why would I want to go?

We've been to festivals where the vendors pretty much outnumbered the public, BBQ comps that were so quiet on the advertising front you wondered how anyone from the public did actually find it or events that drew a group of people that would never spend money. I'd say the events/festivals that advertised poorly (or at all) were/are the most prevalent and the promoter attitude of "I'll say whatever you need to hear to get you in" since once I've got you there I've got MY money (space rent) so the rest is your problem.
I hope nobody lost their butt too much yesterday, been there done that and it stinks!
#3 - May 06, 2012, 08:26:46 am

Little Hoss

We decided to go ahead and do this event. WHAT A BIG JOKE THIS EVENT TURED OUT TO BE. (WE LAST ARE ASS). Excuse my french. This was the wiriest ran event i have ever done. How did you do Mike?             Danny  Famly Tradition BBQ
#4 - May 07, 2012, 09:50:19 am

IRONHORSE BBQ

Who was the promoter on this one ?
#5 - May 07, 2012, 10:02:30 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

We lost our ASS on this event as well.  And just found out that all the checks from the promoter bounced.

Guess it's on to Small Claims court for us.

What a joke this event and promoter was..

The Promoter was Kevin Elliott from West Valley Magazine.  Needless to say, we won't be doing any more of his events.
#6 - May 07, 2012, 12:13:15 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

IRONHORSE BBQ

Thanks for the info on the promoter some people are so unscrupulous and have no ethics at all.

Marv
#7 - May 07, 2012, 03:49:39 pm

jimj

We lost our ASS on this event as well.  And just found out that all the checks from the promoter bounced.

Guess it's on to Small Claims court for us.

What a joke this event and promoter was..

The Promoter was Kevin Elliott from West Valley Magazine.  Needless to say, we won't be doing any more of his events.
The thing is, unless people talk about events both good and bad more and more people end up getting hosed as there's always another vendor who doesn't know better to fill the real estate. As a vendor, we all talk at all the events and compare notes and if I hear negative stuff from someone I either trust or hear the same thing from multiple people I (and most vendors I know) will avoid those events. All we ever asked from a promoter was 4 basic things.
1.Provide what you say you will (and I'm paying for)
2.If you tell me to stock up as there'll be thousands of people there then you'd had better have done what's required on your end to get those people there (like Rick and Dave who've always had crowds) I know you can't "make" people come but you can at least advertise everywhere possible and use some imagination. It doesn't take a MBA degree to figure out the more quiet an event is the less people that will show. Hence the name "promoter".
3. Don't double/triple me unless you let me know ahead of time. I hated being told "you're the only one" only to find there was the exact same thing 2 stalls down.
4. Understand when I come to you and want my money back because you lied to me that you'd most certainly do the same to us if we pulled something on you. In my world it cuts both ways not just in your favor.

The biggie, don't EVER tell me "well I got your money so why do I care what happens"? I've actually heard that a couple of times and it then becomes my mission in life to repay the favor.
In my mind this applies to everything, Festivals, Art Fairs,Charity Events and BBQ Comps (y'all sell P.C. right)
Do I take things kind of personal? I don't think more than anyone who's got somebody trying to take money from them under false pretence or outright lying.
Sorry for the rant, it just gets my blood boiling to here about things like this. As I said before I hate it when others get burned.

Keep talking about events, that's the only way to stop it from continuing. When they can't find new vendors they'll either change or close down, either thing is good by me.
#8 - May 07, 2012, 06:34:24 pm
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:08:09 am by jimj »

Little Hoss

Hi Mike     I have been communicating with Trish Arans the gal that was righting the checks in the trailer. And she ask me to email her the amount of my check and how much i had left in BBQ bucks and they would pay me cash tomorrow. YA RIGHT. But any way here is some information for her if you dont have it already. Email Trish@houseofelliott.com Phone 800-315-9630 Address 14555 W. Indian school road Ste 420 goodyear 85395.
#9 - May 07, 2012, 08:10:13 pm

DRQ

I dodged a bullet on this event...I had a bad feeling about this event... Just didn't feel right when talking to the promoter so we backed out... so glad we did.... sorry to those who lost their ass...
#10 - May 14, 2012, 10:22:08 am

Members: