AZ Barbeque.com

2009 Billy The Kid BBQ, Silver City, NM, New Dates May 29-30?

Discussion started on

Fourlix

We are in the early planning stages for next year.  First question is the dates.  We are thinking of moving it up a little due to some local schedule conflicts.  May 29-30, Fri-Sat.  is looking good. June 5-6 is probably the dates of the Pueblo Co. bbq, and some of our New Mexico BBQers are heading up there.
Let me know what is going on over in AZ.  We will have $5000 in prize money, Governor's Proclamation etc. 
This year's Billy The Kid BBQ was a huge success, next year will be even better!
Let me know if our event fits your schedule........
#1 - September 09, 2008, 08:50:59 am

VisionQuest220

If the dates on the 2009 Pueblo event are accurate, your event would be sandwiched between the Best Dam Barbeque in Boulder City, NV, already scheduled for May 22-23, 2009 and Pueblo.  Both of those events are well established, KCBS and Boulder City is a Jack Daniel's "automatic" (assuming no new contests pop up in Nevada).  Putting your contest in between those might not be the best idea.  May is also the month that includes the Stagecoach Music Festival in Indio, CA which be another three day, two KCBS contest weekend and there is also the Modesto, CA contest that month.  May is a tough month for a young contest to try and get a foothold.

Historically there is damn little going on contest-wise between mid-June and mid-August.  I don't know what the weather is like in Silver City during that time period but that is the time window I would more strongly consider.  If the weather is too hot that time of year, go for mid to late April as there isn't much going on then either.
#2 - September 09, 2008, 09:57:19 am
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

toys4dlr

Come on Vince,

Break out a spreadsheet and show all the events, I know you have one.

But that is very good advise.  Given the gas cost and what not, teams (myself included) try to balance the comps. 

Only the true die hards like to do back to back to back events.  Right Vince ;D 

#3 - September 09, 2008, 10:49:29 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

AzQer

Yea vince I to would like to see a spread sheet with all the South West events. I would think Silver City in June might be nice its high enough.
#4 - September 09, 2008, 11:02:39 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

VisionQuest220

This site has already done the work.  However, it only tracks KCBS events and results. 

http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/contesthub/contestmapper.cfm

There's a lot more information to be found and viewed under the "BBQ Power Rankings" menu.  Check it out.
#5 - September 09, 2008, 11:59:53 am
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I would also agree with Vince that May is a very tough month, not only with the contests already on the books, but also with kids schooling finishing up and graduations.

Mid June to Mid August would be great.

We are working on 2 contests during that same time in different parts of Arizona, so let us know what dates you pick so we can take those dates off the board for our events.

Really looking forward to making this event next year.

Great Job...
#6 - September 09, 2008, 12:37:18 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Thom Emery

I agree with Mike on this
There are so few Summer events
#7 - September 09, 2008, 04:51:26 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

toys4dlr

Cause it is HOT in AZ during the summer
#8 - September 09, 2008, 07:14:29 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

bbqwant2b

Alex,
Whenever you would like to have it we will be there... 1) We have to defend our 1rst place brisket, 2nd place rib. 2) This years comp was the the best yet
If the dates on the 2009 Pueblo event are accurate, your event would be sandwiched between the Best Dam Barbeque in Boulder City, NV, already scheduled for May 22-23, 2009 and Pueblo.  Both of those events are well established, KCBS and Boulder City is a Jack Daniel's "automatic" (assuming no new contests pop up in Nevada).  Putting your contest in between those might not be the best idea.  May is also the month that includes the Stagecoach Music Festival in Indio, CA which be another three day, two KCBS contest weekend and there is also the Modesto, CA contest that month.  May is a tough month for a young contest to try and get a foothold.

Historically there is damn little going on contest-wise between mid-June and mid-August.  I don't know what the weather is like in Silver City during that time period but that is the time window I would more strongly consider.  If the weather is too hot that time of year, go for mid to late April as there isn't much going on then either.
you all did great.
#9 - September 09, 2008, 10:19:55 pm
Member IBCA,KCBS & CBBQA
DP Fat 70
Traeger bbq126
Traeger XL bbq 150
FEC 100
Jambo

Thom Emery

Cause it is HOT in AZ during the summer

We were spearking regionally
I enjoy similar summer  weather in Indio
#10 - September 10, 2008, 05:49:22 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

colleenchassis

Alex,
Whenever you would like to have it we will be there... 1) We have to defend our 1rst place brisket, 2nd place rib. 2) This years comp was the the best yet

you all did great.

If John Leonard (Chubby Hubby) is going to be there, I am too! I still need to get paid for the smoker he ordered!!!
Let me know where you'll be! I'll be there!!!
-Colleen :)
#11 - November 04, 2008, 09:14:56 pm
www.L2manufacturing.com

myspace.com/Colleenisyourfriend

desertdog

Silver City is a great venue!  Up in the mountians, I think a June contest would be awesome.  Too bad we can't get a summer contest up in Flag...(hint, hint)

#12 - December 16, 2008, 07:59:06 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

AzQer

Yea this is close to Tucson we may try to get there this year depending on the date.
#13 - December 17, 2008, 05:51:48 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Members: