Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Thom Emery

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

BBQCZAR

We have been thinking about it,but $500 entry is steep and then all meat,suplies,lodging,etc. hard to do these contest anymore with these price tags  :(
#3 - October 26, 2015, 09:07:29 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

AZWildcat

We have been thinking about it,but $500 entry is steep and then all meat,suplies,lodging,etc. hard to do these contest anymore with these price tags  :(
+1
#4 - October 27, 2015, 06:37:20 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mcevoyrom

It does cost a lot, but I am OK with it because of the payout and level of compatition. I don't like to do many of the high dollar contest, but will do this one. Might be interested in having some quality help at this one, if anyone decides the cost is just to much for their team.
#5 - October 28, 2015, 06:56:08 am

Thom Emery

#6 - October 28, 2015, 01:52:08 pm

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Piper

I registerd as a CBJ, if they still need them.

Anyone know if it's allowable to be a CBJ and compete in the steak competiton? Looks like turn in for chicken/ribs/brisket/ etc is on Sunday and steak comp is on Saturday. I've never competed before so i figured this would be an easy and affordable way to get some practice. There's no refunds on registration so I wanted to make sure first.

edit: Yup, it's allowed. See you guys out there!
#7 - November 02, 2015, 06:43:14 pm
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:27:07 pm by Piper »
OK Joe's Longhorn Offset | PK Grill | KCBS CBJ | RealAZBBQ.com

smitty250

Chris - Ronnie Cates runs Smoke on the Water Productions which is the promoter for this event. I'm not sure if you are on Facebook or not but if you are Ronnie is pretty good at answering any questions on his page or the Smoke on the Water page.

Hope this helps...
#8 - November 03, 2015, 08:30:17 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Piper

Chris - Ronnie Cates runs Smoke on the Water Productions which is the promoter for this event. I'm not sure if you are on Facebook or not but if you are Ronnie is pretty good at answering any questions on his page or the Smoke on the Water page.

Hope this helps...

thanks, talked to them today. It's allowed, looks like the event is shaping up to be quite a good one.
#9 - November 03, 2015, 10:27:42 pm

UKSWINE

Hello all,

I'm interested in coming over with the Mrs to compete in this contest as the weather sucks in the UK in January.

Does anyone have any equipment which they might be able to rent or loan to us for the weekend? Ideally, we'd be hoping someone has a spare Backwoods Fatboy and a WSM or something similar but i know i can't be too picky.

Cheers,

Ed
#10 - November 16, 2015, 01:39:15 pm

Piper

For those that haven't gotten then e-mail, this event has been CANCELLED.
#11 - December 28, 2015, 12:15:53 am

azcolt45

CANCELLED....I contacted Ronnie Cates who runs Smoke on the Water Productions which is the promoter for this event confirms as far as he is concerned the event is CANCELLED.... I then contacted KCBS to see if anyone is taking over the event, and the lady at KCBS that is in charge of the event said they should know this week or the beginning of next week if another promoter is going to take over the event and keep it going... Doesn't sound good though..
#12 - January 01, 2016, 03:06:34 pm
Trailer mounted Custom offset stick burner
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
5' Square fire pit w/grates 
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder"

Piper

CANCELLED....I contacted Ronnie Cates who runs Smoke on the Water Productions which is the promoter for this event confirms as far as he is concerned the event is CANCELLED.... I then contacted KCBS to see if anyone is taking over the event, and the lady at KCBS that is in charge of the event said they should know this week or the beginning of next week if another promoter is going to take over the event and keep it going... Doesn't sound good though..

What exactly is the role of a BBQ event promoter? What's required? I'm trying to understand why these AZ events keep falling through. Seems like that's the 3rd once in recent memory. Frustrating.
#13 - January 04, 2016, 04:39:24 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

What exactly is the role of a BBQ event promoter? What's required? I'm trying to understand why these AZ events keep falling through. Seems like that's the 3rd once in recent memory. Frustrating.

This one fell through for a number of reasons.  The main ones being the people putting the money up in the escrow account never deposited it.  As a promoter, he did the right thing by cancelling it.  He gave them numerous chances to fulfill their promise and they  never did.  Plus the infrastructure they promise was not materializing.  Sad, but these days it's better to be safe than sorry.

As a promoter of these events, the hardest part is finding sponsorship dollars.  These days companies are putting their advertising budgets into different types of events.

#14 - January 04, 2016, 05:06:56 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Piper

This one fell through for a number of reasons.  The main ones being the people putting the money up in the escrow account never deposited it.  As a promoter, he did the right thing by cancelling it.  He gave them numerous chances to fulfill their promise and they  never did.  Plus the infrastructure they promise was not materializing.  Sad, but these days it's better to be safe than sorry.

As a promoter of these events, the hardest part is finding sponsorship dollars.  These days companies are putting their advertising budgets into different types of events.

Mike, makes sense, I didn't draw the line between "promoter" and "sponsorship." I have a small understanding of how these events run economically, but I do know how marketing works (I'm a director of market strategy for a multi-billion dollar org).

Finding companies wanting to spend sponsorship dollars is very easy. Asking them to shift the budget from a direct lead attribution channel, for example, to sponsorship, is very challenging. I receive pitches for everything from Chicago-based Single-A baseball teams, to the big guys at NASCAR and everything in-between. I'll tell you - everything BUT the top-level NASCAR guys is a complete joke. Don't make me figure out how to make my sponorship dollars work for me and provide a positive ROI (that's your job). If you can't tell me how you'll activate your fans/visitors/BBQ festival atendees to interact, engage with or gain additional awarness and education of my brand, then I'm not interested.

In short, I have a strong feeling the sponorship dollars aren't falling into place not because of fiscal marketing budgets, but because the promoters are failing to understand basic marketing concepts.
#15 - January 04, 2016, 11:58:53 pm

Members: