AZ Barbeque.com

Wildcats hire Rich Rodriguez

Discussion started on

Mark

AZWildcat

Per local news, Rich Rodriguez is the new UA Football head coach.....
#2 - November 21, 2011, 04:27:41 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Unfortunately, I think that's a great hire for you guys.

He did great at West Virginia, but could never get over that controversy of him leaving there at Michigan. 

I think he will do great in Tucson.  Quality pick up for sure..  But, is he there for the long term or just to re-establish himself? 

Is he being paid like a Tier 1 coach or not?
#3 - November 21, 2011, 04:33:03 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

jmcrig

ESPN is still saying "they're close to a deal". And it would be a good thing.
#4 - November 21, 2011, 05:17:54 pm

jmcrig

ESPN is now saying it's a done deal.
#5 - November 21, 2011, 06:37:43 pm

AzQer

I think U of A was smart this time to get on the ball and find a coach before the end of the season were there will be a lot of turn over in the coaching accross the country. I am looking forward to seeing the spread option  flex offense for sure.
#6 - November 22, 2011, 08:20:55 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Mike P in Tucson

A great hire, for sure.  I really hope he is here for the long haul and not just to get himself re-established.  I'm really happy we got our new coach now, avoiding any competition with ASU when they go looking for a coach to replace DE.
#7 - November 22, 2011, 08:56:24 am
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

AZWildcat

A great hire, for sure.  I really hope he is here for the long haul and not just to get himself re-established.  I'm really happy we got our new coach now, avoiding any competition with ASU when they go looking for a coach to replace DE.
Exactly.  Although as of this am ASU's AD is saying DE's job is safe (translation: you might wanna go luggage shopping). I think both AZ schools are stopping points for head coaches (that's right Sun Devils, you are not now, or ever have been a top tier football school either.) If Rich Rod is successful I can see him moving back east or to the south, where he's from. ASU is gonna go shopping too, and just the same, it's gonna be an old has been, someone trying to re-establish,  or a young gun. I think it's a great hire for UA, with our program I don't think we could have done much better. Let's just hope he's more WV than UM!
#8 - November 22, 2011, 09:52:41 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mike P in Tucson

Well, he certainly won the news conference.  He is really personable, and he said Tucson is his last stop, that he is here until he retires.  Course, that could change somewhere down the line, but it does look like he wants to stay.  And at only 48 years old, Tucson could be in for some fun times ahead.

Here is the salary deal:

$1.75 mill, $1.8 mill, $1.9 mill, $2 mill, $2.1 mill over life of 5-year deal.

Nike kicks in part of that, about $200 grand, I think.  Apparently, Rich Rod left some on the table to leave more money available for hiring first class assistants.
#9 - November 22, 2011, 06:00:46 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Mark

Positive article in today's AZ Republic about Rich Rodriguez hire and how it puts pressure on ASU's A.D..

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2011/11/22/20111122asu-lisa-love-pressure-big-hire.html

#10 - November 23, 2011, 07:56:49 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: