AZ Barbeque.com

TGiving

Discussion started on

azkitch

I really didn't get my turkey on til after noon...but at 9#, and spatchcocked, it isn't taking long. The drum took a while to get going...temp coasted down to just under 200 before I got out the turbo unit, (Hair dryer). It carried up to 230+, and it's running strong now. I flipped the turkey--started skin down, dusted liberally with Butcher's Honey Rub that I won at the brisket competition.
I took a pic, but my card readers are of the old type, can't handle the new SDHC cards. I'll pic it up later.
dk

Tastes pretty good, too. It's a shame I'm stuffed...
#1 - November 25, 2010, 01:57:21 pm
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:38:20 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Harpo

Spatchcocked is the only way I will cook a turkey from now on. Can't wait to get my hands on Butcher Honey rub. Looks GoooOOOD!!
#2 - November 25, 2010, 03:31:13 pm
I don't eat vegetables. The meat I eat, eats vegetables.
Grill Dome Ceramic Smoker/Grill
FEC 100

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Looks Great so far
#3 - November 25, 2010, 08:29:58 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

azkitch

You get an immediate sweetness, followed suddenly by a dash of heat from Butcher Honey Rub. It's pretty good stuff, I must say!
#4 - November 25, 2010, 11:23:06 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Looks fantastic.  Never thought about doing one Spatchcocked.  I like my stuffing too much...
#5 - November 25, 2010, 11:26:09 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

azkitch

19# oven bird took care of that. Wimmen folk here don't like smoked vittles. That's the other reason I haven't competed yet! If I practice, not many people to eat it.
#6 - November 25, 2010, 11:57:24 pm
CBJ # 53779

Rob Albach

Looks beautiful.....Never heard of spatchcocking before will give it try....
#7 - November 26, 2010, 03:05:48 am
AZTEC BBQ
Meadow Creek TS120/BBQ42
Charbroil Offset
Weber Kettle

DanMan

19# oven bird took care of that. Wimmen folk here don't like smoked vittles. That's the other reason I haven't competed yet! If I practice, not many people to eat it.
Well you know there are a lot of people here that would love to chow down.  Heck just let me know when your doing a practice run I do not even need veggies, I might get vegetable poisoning!  I will even bring my own beer!
#8 - November 27, 2010, 06:17:45 am

Mark

That turkey looks like it is doing the chicken dance, Kitch! Looks tasty. :P

Now is a good time to check out the stores from leftover birds. Last year at Fresh & Easy, I got a couple of fresh birds at half off right after Thanksgiving. The same with hams.
#9 - November 27, 2010, 06:29:47 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

jmcrig

Spatchcock Turkey is what Chris Marks taught the last time he was at BBQ Island. It's easy, and is really great with his injection. ;D ;D
#10 - November 27, 2010, 07:23:08 am

Trailhound

What is Spatchcock  :question:
#11 - December 01, 2010, 01:32:17 pm
Don't over think your common sense
East Texas Smoker
2 UDS
Knaack Tool Box Smoker
http://trailhoundsmokersbbq.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Trailhoundsmokers
KCBS CBJ #55596

RudedoggAZ

Cutting the backbone out of the bird, Cracking the chest plate so it lays flat... Some people will put foil wrapped bricks on the bird that had been heated up to temp so everything cooks evenly (Brick Chicken) That method is usually done at a higher temp on the grill or in a pan though...
#12 - December 01, 2010, 01:44:01 pm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:45:43 pm by RudedoggAZ »

Trailhound

Cutting the backbone out of the bird, Cracking the chest plate so it lays flat... Some people will put foil wrapped bricks on the bird that had been heated up to temp so everything cooks evenly (Brick Chicken) That method is usually done at a higher temp on the grill or in a pan though...

Thanks
#13 - December 01, 2010, 01:46:30 pm
Don't over think your common sense
East Texas Smoker
2 UDS
Knaack Tool Box Smoker
http://trailhoundsmokersbbq.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Trailhoundsmokers
KCBS CBJ #55596

Elwood

Learn something new everyday ! That's a tasty looking bird too! ;)
#14 - December 02, 2010, 04:10:54 am
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abe Lincoln

chefrob

looks good kitch!
#15 - December 02, 2010, 10:41:52 pm

Members: