AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked Turkey

Discussion started on

DRQ

Is smoking a turkey the same a brisket?? I mean in terms of time? I have a 15 pound turkey I want to smoke and should it be about 45min per pound or is it shorter longer?? trying to gauge what time I need to put it on the smoker...

Thanks
#1 - November 11, 2010, 10:51:59 am

AzScott

I always cook a Mad Max Turkey which is shown here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

You should be able to do it on your Weber. 
#2 - November 11, 2010, 01:16:24 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

azkitch

I treat the smoker like an oven...about 325. A big turkey will be in the 'danger zone' too long at lower temps, and it'll cook for 3-5 hours at 325, plenty time for smoke. I haven't done the butter soaked cheesecloth thang though. Sounds great.
#3 - November 11, 2010, 10:36:41 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Chawka

What kind of wood do y'all use for the Turkey and do you put it directly on the grill or in a pan?
#4 - November 20, 2010, 09:19:45 pm

azkitch

I used my UDS last year, and my old used Brinkmann SnP offset the year before. Directly on the grates. Milder wood. Pecan, apple, any citrus tree, mulberry, mix in cherry; personally I'd avoid mesquite and walnut. Or very small amount of the latter with any of the former mixed in. The more I use it, the more I like the medium large bags of hickory hunks available fairly readily, ie KMart, Wally World, several hardware stores. Those fist sized chunks are just too convenient. And I even split a few, to double the surface area. Good luck.
#5 - November 21, 2010, 12:09:31 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: