AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked Turkey for Thanksgiving..

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

OK, since Thanksgiving is next week, let's get some recipes posted for smoking Turkey on the Big day.

What do you do when smoking your turkey?  I'm sure we have lots of lurkers, guests and members who are contemplating smoking one for this big day, so let's post some recipes, hints and suggestions for doing it right.  ;) 

Also, if you have pictures, post them as well as you all know how much we LOVE pictures..  ;)

The BEST Smoked Turkey Picture & Recipe will each win one of our Brand New AZBarbeque T-Shirts.
#1 - November 18, 2008, 05:44:01 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

desertdog

It would be a great way to officially christen my new smoker.  I have read that it is best to do it at a higher temp (~300 degrees) because of the lack of fat in the turkey.  The birds are also prone to oversmoking, so go light on the wood.  Is this correct?

#2 - November 18, 2008, 08:11:40 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

KidCurry

I have never smoked one before but we will be camping this year so no real oven and the oven in the trailer would only fit a small turkey anyway.  Because of this we plan on smoking one and deep frying another.  This will be the first time we will not have a turkey cooked in an actual oven.  ;D

The smoked one...the plan is to brine it for 24 hours rub on some olive oil and a few selected spices and them smoke in the excel 20 using very little hickory at 250-300 degrees until the meat reaches 160-165 in the breast or any where else I check.  O0

The deep fried one we have found we like too just deep fry it as is, no injection, no special mojo just the turkey in peanut oil.  Yes i like using peanut oil the best, some people say there is no difference but after years of experimentation I find peanut oil to taste the best.  O0

#3 - November 18, 2008, 08:13:10 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Tek465

I don't know if linking to another site is allowed, but I found the directions for the Apple Brined Turkey on The Virtual Bullet to be absolutely perfect. So easy, even I could do it. Only difference was that we didn't have any fresh ginger so we experimented with some fresh sprigs of Rosemary. It was sooo good, I don't think I can ever go back to an oven bird.

Here are my sorry Pics from last year.

First, the ones that got away. (Those were off Hwy 260 on the road to Young.)

Give that bird some love. After a overnight bath in the brine, we rubbed it on top and under the skin with butter. The butter also had some extra flavor with the addition of some pepper, onion and garlic powder. I also stuffed the cavity with a few more sprigs of Rosemary and Orange peels. (Pay no attention to the plastic holder! It tastes fine.)

It's Done!! If I remember correctly it took about 3.5 hrs at 325 F. I used mostly apple and a small piece of pecan. The higher temps are supposed to help keep the skin crisp, so is separating the skin and basting. I did all three and it works.

On the table.

Let's Eat!!!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
#4 - November 18, 2008, 11:39:49 am

KidCurry

LOOKS GOOD!   I hope mine turn out like that!
#5 - November 18, 2008, 11:47:58 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

Mr Smoker

I'll be smoking two in the Spicewine using Turkey Canons.I never used them before but they look interesting.Also will do one in the oven with stuffing.
#6 - November 18, 2008, 01:56:55 pm
Charbroil RED, #7 Custom Red Kamado,AZBarbeque Hall of Fame.

toys4dlr

I picked up a turkey cannon last year for 8 bucks at the Anthem Outlets.  It works pretty good, but seems to max out at a 16 lb turkey or so.  Dick, it will work great on your Spicewine, as the shape works well in my stump's on the shelf.

That is how I will be doing our Turkey this Turkey Day.
#7 - November 18, 2008, 02:33:13 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

desertdog

Ran across this recipe, caught my eye, of course, because of its use of Jack Daniels...

Apple Jack Cannon Turkey    

Ingredients:
1 x 8 to 10lb turkey, thawed
1 C. kosher salt
10 C. cold water
5 C. apple juice
1 C. Jack Daniels

½ cup King of the Q Bonedust BBQ Seasoning

1 ¼ cups apple juice
¼ cup Jack Daniels

1 Turkey Cannon
1 thermometer
1 large bowl or sealable container

How to Prepare:
Remove and discard any giblets and neck from inside cavity of turkey, and any plastic used to hold turkey legs in place. Place the turkey into a large bowl or sealable container. Ensure that container will fit into your fridge!

Mix together salt, water, 5 C. apple juice, and 1 C. Jack Daniels, stirring until all the salt is dissolved. Pour mixture over the turkey. The turkey should be completely submerged. Add more salted water as needed to cover the turkey at a ratio of ¼ cup salt for every 4 C. of water. Cover brined turkey with a tight fitting lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Preheat grill to 350°F.

Remove turkey from the brine, discard brine, and pat turkey dry with paper towels. Season the turkey inside and out with King of the Q Bonedust BBQ Seasoning.

Mix together 1 ¼ cups apple juice and ¼ cup Jack Daniels. Pour mixture into the Turkey Cannon cylinder.

Place the turkey onto the filled Turkey Cannon cylinder breast side up. Place Turkey Cannon into the grill and close the lid. Check the turkey frequently throughout cooking to ensure there are no flare ups on your grill. If you experience flare ups, place a drip tray (foil pan or metal roasting pan) directly under the turkey to catch the dripping fat.

Roast turkey for approximately 1½ - 2 hours (7-10 minutes per pound), checking the internal temperature every 15 minutes or so after 1 hour of cooking time, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches a minimum of 180°F. When taking the internal temperature, ensure that thermometer does not touch the metal Turkey Cannon.

Carefully remove the Turkey Cannon from the grill and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the turkey, discard any remaining liquid in the Turkey Cannon, and carve. Serve immediately.

Serves 12

#8 - November 18, 2008, 03:50:17 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Tex A Que

I do love a smoked turkey...but inject it, rub it, and drown it in 375 degree peanut oil for about three minutes per pound...that's good eat'n.
#9 - November 18, 2008, 05:29:38 pm
What'cha been smoke'n

Quiggs

I like it Dean!  Think I'll try that one too thanks.

I do know my step dad always smoked one to bring over while i did two one rotisserie and one in the kettle.  His was done with hickory which I think was to powerful for turkey it had a very strong flavor, so fruit wood like apple or cherry is going to be for me.
#10 - November 18, 2008, 06:33:53 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

force

Ok.. I did a trail run on Sunday in my drum smoker that Tex A Que made for me... damn good one..
Anyway.. 15lb..... brined it for 15 hours.... smoked it at 210-225.... from 6am - 2pm... my mistake was not pulling it at 165 taken in breast.. pulled it at 175.. which means about 12:30pm it was ready.... the thighs and legs were quite tender and moist.. actually fantastic.... the breast was good but drier than it should have been.... I also in the process before placing on smoker.. coated it with olive oil and rub which was quite tasty........ Mike.... do you still have the picture I sent.. if so can you post... another thing... I will inject it on Tday and cook until 165 in the breast.... I believe it will turn out spectacular... especially drinking the mash drink as soon as I get up in the morning to start the smoker...... I do like that Jack receipe though Dean...  I brought the remains to my staff the next day and they made smoked turkey sandwhiches and raved all day....... of course evaluations are coming up... LOL.... I told them it was drier than I prefered.... but they eat anything..... they are use to my practicing....that was for Jay... so there you have it......... I am not sure about 300........ I won't go there........
#11 - November 18, 2008, 10:55:00 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Three4Que

Force, what did you use for a rub?  Keep in mind I don't have any pre-bottled rubs (sorry D-Dog), I'd prefer to make one from scratch, however, having never smoked a Turkey before any pointers would be great!
#12 - November 19, 2008, 06:01:26 am
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
"Keep it low and slow"

ASU Alumni

KidCurry

My family trends to like a dryer breast so i may shoot for 175! ;D
#13 - November 19, 2008, 09:08:34 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

toys4dlr

Another great tip is while the bird is resting, drop a zip top bag full of ice on top of the breast meat.  It will lower the starting temp of the white meat and you have a better chance to get the thighs to 180 and still have the white meat at 160 and not dried out. 

Works well on the wife when she falls asleep on the couch after the dinner too  >:D

Of course then I have to sleep on the couch after that, but fun none the less.   ;D

#14 - November 19, 2008, 11:00:37 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

force

I actually used a rub that my wife bought at Williams Sonoma specifically for Turkey....... the fact she bought a rub I was all over that....... it was outstanding...... and it was about $8.00 with plenty left for many more turkeys......

Dave.......when it was resting..... are you referring to before or after you smoke it...... and did your wife read your post..lol..... brave man you are........
#15 - November 19, 2008, 08:50:28 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Members: