AZ Barbeque.com

My stand by turkey recipe

Discussion started on

olivesmoker

OK so 3 of us are now doing this recipe for Thanksgiving, one of my teamies is about an hour ahead of us so is probably at the brining stage. We are waiting for the brine to cool right now. Smells awesome and we are taking pics along the way. Still Bear, a couple of questions about wrapping the bird. Do you just use one package of cheesecloth? Do you just wad it up in the melted butter or try to place it in folded upon itself? Once the butter has soaked in, does it just drip all over the place while wrapping? Or does the butter pretty much stay adhered to the cloth? Do you wrap the bird say one direction and then twist it and go the opposite direction, so that all four exposed areas of the bird are covered like a mummy?
Thanks!
#16 - November 23, 2009, 10:13:15 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

RobOConnell

Got my cheesecloth at Walmart in the paint department. 2 square yards should be enough. Soak it in butter and wrap ... this is gonna be my best one yet... yums.
#17 - November 24, 2009, 10:21:58 am
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Do you take the Cheesecloth off at any point or leave it on until the Turkey is done?
#18 - November 24, 2009, 12:49:22 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

n2dabluebbq

well i have never done this cheesecloth turkey either. so i went a looking for some info. seems that everything points to just laying the cheesecloth on the turkey as opposed to wrapping the turkey completely. also, the recipes i read state that removing the cloth is a good thing for the last 1/2 hr or so.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#19 - November 24, 2009, 01:19:33 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

RobOConnell

Got 2 turkeys today. Doing the brine tonight. I cant wait to do this.
#20 - November 24, 2009, 01:29:21 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

bearbonez

I use one pack of cheesecloth. Once the butter is soaked up, let it cool. this way the butter stays on the cloth better. It will drip and be a bit messy...not too bad. I just take straight out of the pack and plop it in the butter..wadded, folded, shouldn't matter as long as it is well soaked. When wrapping, I just start with the end over the head side cavity, wrap under a wing and go back on a diagonal so the cloth doesn't slide off the top. Then just wrap from one end to the other overlapping a lil bit, till the whole thing is covered. Will see if cindy has pics saved on her puter or disk and post em for ya. My hard drive that had the pics fried...may have em posted somewhere..will look.
 I take off the cloth for the last hour.
#21 - November 25, 2009, 05:39:37 am
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thanks Bear...  ;)
#22 - November 25, 2009, 05:50:45 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

desertdog

Last year I did the cheesecloth method as Bear describes, but I also basted it with herb butter every hour or so to remoisten the cheesecloth.  Wondering now if that has any effect on the browning of the skin, mine was a ittle lighter than I like it.  I did remove the cheesecloth the last hour...
#23 - November 25, 2009, 06:06:39 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Martini Mama

Thanks for all the info. We have pics of our brine and the bird in the brine. Will take some during smoking and finished product, then will post post-Thanksgiving! Can't wait! The house was filled with a wonderful aroma during the simmering of the brine, really makes it feel like the holidays with the cloves and all the herbs and citrus...
#24 - November 25, 2009, 11:17:12 am
Olivesmoker's Wife
Member of Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team

ddog27

I can't wait to see all the pictures! Yum!! ;D ;D
#25 - November 25, 2009, 11:44:15 am
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

jmcrig

Yes, pictures, pictures, and more pictures.
#26 - November 25, 2009, 12:33:46 pm

SmoknAZ

I have a twenty pounder that I will wrap in cheese cloth and then smoke. Using the turkey cannon any idea how may minutes per pound estimated????? Just need something to guesstimate when to put it on.
#27 - November 25, 2009, 01:36:18 pm
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

Martini Mama

What's a turkey cannon and what temp are you planning on keeping the smoker?
#28 - November 25, 2009, 04:45:12 pm
Olivesmoker's Wife
Member of Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team

SmoknAZ

It's kind of like beer in the butt chicken holder except it holds the turkey horizontal. I am going to try 250 to 275 until it hits 150 then take off the cheese cloth an run it up to 300 degrees until the turkey hits 160 to brown skin. :-\
#29 - November 25, 2009, 04:58:21 pm
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

olivesmoker

Your smoking temps seem just right, we are planning to do exactly the same thing...not really a time per pound, but figure about 6 hours for our 18 ponder, that's about 20 min per pound. First time doing the 48 hour brine thing so we'll see how it goes...
#30 - November 25, 2009, 08:59:08 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

Members: