AZ Barbeque.com

Happy Thanksgiving! 2 turkeys on at once - additions to my first T smoke post

Discussion started on

Spicy Mike

Thanks Mike, didn't mean to break the link or what ever you call it.  :(
#16 - October 27, 2010, 08:20:57 pm
Salad!?! Salad ain't food, it's what we FEED food!

NOVYQUE

Sorry it took so long, but I finally got the picture's back up on this posting.  

I wanted to get them up this past weekend, but ended up smoking 30+ pounds of pulled pork with my neighbor.  We used 2 different recipes and both came out very good.  His was a little on the spicy side with a touch of agave in the sauce to help sweeten it up.  I went with a more citrus side and had a peachy BBQ sauce to go with mine.  Both were really good and the whole neighborhood really enjoyed it before going out to trick-or-treat.
#17 - November 04, 2010, 11:04:17 am
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:32:19 am by NOVYQUE »
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

NOVYQUE

Now that I have one turkey under my belt, everyone say's that I am ready for Thanksgiving (they all said it was great and no extra practice was needed).  Hmmm.... I sure hope so (I always think there is room for improvement).  My next question is...One bird was good and there were little to no leftovers.  I like many others always want turkey sandwiches the next day or two.  I think I have enough room in my smoker (18" WSM) to put two turkeys in it.  One on the bottom rack and one on the top rack.  Does anyone think that there would be an issue doing this?  The drippings from the top rack would fall down onto the bird below it before it would go into the drip pan.  Would this be too much for the second bird? or am I just worrying too much?
#18 - November 10, 2010, 10:29:10 am
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

DanMan

How is the turkey if you cook it the day before T-Day and then reheat in the oven?  Still nice and juicy and moist?
#19 - November 10, 2010, 08:13:37 pm

NOVYQUE

Not sure about a whole turkey.  However, when I reheated some of the leftovers, I had them in a small zip lock bag.  I put the bag in the microwave with the top of the bag open a little bit.  The reheat was great and the turkey stayed very moist and juicy.  I have done this with pulled pork too and had the same results.  Zip Lock bags are a wonderful thing  :)
#20 - November 11, 2010, 04:11:39 pm
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

Rob Albach

I'm sooooJealous...I would love to smoke a couple of turkey's I'll have to wait till I get back to the states in early DEC before I get to smoke anything......It's been a long six months!!!!

Rob
#21 - November 19, 2010, 09:11:39 am
AZTEC BBQ
Meadow Creek TS120/BBQ42
Charbroil Offset
Weber Kettle

NOVYQUE

Since the first turkey went so well, I am doing the same tomorrow!  Only difference will be that I am smoking 2 turkeys.  I will have one on the bottom rack and one on the top rack of my 18" WSM.  I did learn an important lesson last night while preparing the turkeys/brine...Once you have the turkey in the bag to brine, put the turkey in the cooler with a layer of ice on the bottom.  This will help prevent the bag from falling to the side when it is full of liquid.  :(  Unfortunately, I lost half a batch of my brine mixture when this happened to me.  The kitchen floor and counter were a very sticky mess.  The only thing I could do was add more apple juice and water and hope for the best.  It was too late to make a new batch.  I hope to post some more pics tomorrow as I start the smoking process.  I plan on having them on the smoker by 7:45 am at the latest.  Serving at 12:30 pm.  I hope it goes smoothly with the extra bird and my time is not off be too much.  I am giving me an extra hour and a half cushion from what it took me last time.  If done early, they can always rest :-)
#22 - November 24, 2010, 03:44:25 pm
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

PAT YOUNG

James, you can also put a lg. trash bag in a ice chest and put turkey, brine ice, etc. inside, then when your done clean up is alot quicker and you don't have to wash the cooler if it's not cross contaminated ! We did 32 turkey's last year so it helped alot with clean-up!! :)
#23 - November 25, 2010, 01:50:13 am

grizmt

We use new 5 gallon paint buckets like the orange Home Depot ones or from Ace Hardware. The lids pop down nicely and they can either be cleaned and re-used for turkey or for weeding,car washing etc.
#24 - November 25, 2010, 06:45:28 am

NOVYQUE

Great idea's for alternate brine bags/pails.  Might use one next time.

As promised, the turkey's are on the smoker cooking away.  I ended up putting a dry rub onto the turkeys this time.  Thought it might help in giving the skin a little bit more flavor.  I also injected the turkeys again with a mix of maple syrup, honey and butter.  Wrapped them with cheesecloth that was covered with melted butter.  Didn't add any seasoning to the butter since there was a dry rub already on the turkey's.  Hear or the pics as they were being prepared and put onto the smoker.  The smoker has been maintaining a temp around 265 this morning.  I would prefer it to be a little hotter, but that is the way it goes.  I still anticipate the birds being done in about 3 to 4 hours. Enjoy.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
#25 - November 25, 2010, 09:25:28 am
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

NOVYQUE

The lid temp has finally gotten over 300.  I had to close my vents a bit and now I am holding at about 315/320 range.  The bird is at 138.  Looks like I should be on target for my 12:30 serving time.  I hope to post some more pics when I pull them off to rest.
#26 - November 25, 2010, 10:26:53 am
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

NOVYQUE

The day is finally winding down and I am able to relax.  Everyone loved the turkey...even my neighbor came over just to "sample" a bite.  He walked out with a few extra bite's in a small bag. :-)

Here were the final two pictures that I took as I was pulling the turkeys off.  They were good and I now have some leftover turkey for sandwiches this weekend.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#27 - November 25, 2010, 07:51:29 pm
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Looks Awesome. Great job. Thanks for the recap and pics
#28 - November 25, 2010, 08:13:08 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

azkitch

I thought I saw you were using apple, but I couldn't find it. Is that what you smoked with? We butterflied our Norbest turkey--I assumed the whole time it was enhanced...8% maybe? so I didn't brine it. It's fairly moist..I took it off with breast temp of 169, so it could have been pulled earlier. Oh well. 9#, cooked in right at 3 hours, temps started @200, I coaxed an upward climb after about 1 1/2 hours to just under 250. Worked out well.

Found your response on another thread saying you were using pistachio too. Hmmm. Not the secret I thought it was...Especially since I found out about it here...
#29 - November 25, 2010, 11:21:50 pm
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:46:06 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Great looking birds.  Thanks for the pics & recap.  Looks like a very successful cook...
#30 - November 25, 2010, 11:29:31 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Members: