AZ Barbeque.com

Injection vs Brine

Discussion started on

tbonejc

When smoking a turkey which do you prefer, injecting or brining the bird?  Why?  Do you add a rub to the outside too?  The cheesecloth/butter technique looks good.  Gotta try it.
#1 - November 22, 2009, 11:13:00 pm

SmoknAZ

Good question Tbone. I am smoking one and I think I will brine and cheese cloth it with a rub under the cloth. The one I am going to fry will be injected. Never smoked one before so I will be watching this post. Trying to find a turkey cannon to buy but Cabella's is sold out, so I might have to build one unless someone on here has seen them somewhere else.
#2 - November 23, 2009, 08:05:01 am
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

jmcrig

Good question Tbone. I am smoking one and I think I will brine and cheese cloth it with a rub under the cloth. The one I am going to fry will be injected. Never smoked one before so I will be watching this post. Trying to find a turkey cannon to buy but Cabella's is sold out, so I might have to build one unless someone on here has seen them somewhere else.
The Sportsman's Warehouse by I 17 and the 101 had them.
#3 - November 23, 2009, 08:14:35 am

SmoknAZ

The Sportsman's Warehouse by I 17 and the 101 had them.
Yes on 27th Ave. Picked one up and they were $5.00 cheaper than what Cabela's had them listed at.
#4 - November 23, 2009, 12:04:26 pm
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

RudedoggAZ

I think the cheesecloth method looks good as well. I've never injected a bird before but last year I brined the turkey and it turned out AMAZING!!! it's a bit more involved but well worth it. Here is the recipe I used:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html 

You could use the brine recipe if you are going to smoke it. I really liked the high heat method suggested for baking though. Just make sure your oven is clean cause you don't want to smoke out your guests...
#5 - November 23, 2009, 12:24:10 pm

tbonejc

Here is the recipe I used:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html 

You could use the brine recipe if you are going to smoke it. I really liked the high heat method suggested for baking though. Just make sure your oven is clean cause you don't want to smoke out your guests...

This is the one I was going to try to use.  I'm thinking about throwing in some garlic and herbs, maybe a few bay leaves and/or sage.
#6 - November 23, 2009, 03:23:21 pm

desertdog

I will be making up my brine tonight following Bear's recipe:

http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/thanksgiving-meal/my-stand-by-turkey-recipe/

The only thing I will change is that I will stuff the bird with apples, pears, sweet onions and cranberries, and I will season with DDog's Poultry Rub, similar to the method I did last year. 

#7 - November 23, 2009, 04:33:48 pm
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:36:49 pm by desertdog »
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

bearbonez

I always brine...the saline solution exchanges with the water in the muscle cells. That solution being the brine with all your other flavor components will fill up the muscle cells so it is injecting in a sense, but on a much finer level.
#8 - November 23, 2009, 05:01:01 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

RudedoggAZ

This is the one I was going to try to use.  I'm thinking about throwing in some garlic and herbs, maybe a few bay leaves and/or sage.

I did the same... Check out the link that Dean posted as well. That recipe looks amazing!
#9 - November 23, 2009, 05:02:00 pm

BBQCZAR

Make sure that the turkeys that you are brining are not already "enhanced " birds,otherwise they will be too salty if brined .Most store bought birds are enhanced with a saline solution,fresh ones usually are not.
#10 - November 23, 2009, 06:37:02 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

AzJohnnyC

Good point, Tim.
#11 - November 23, 2009, 07:45:16 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

tbonejc

Make sure that the turkeys that you are brining are not already "enhanced " birds,otherwise they will be too salty if brined .Most store bought birds are enhanced with a saline solution,fresh ones usually are not.

If it is just rub and call it a day or still brine with a lower salt solution?  I think the one I have is enhanced, unfortunately.  Where can I get one that's not?  I thought that it can be enhanced up to 12% without saying that it is.
#12 - November 23, 2009, 09:08:55 pm

force

I have done both......... I am not a turkey lover but found the brine works better IMHO...
#13 - November 23, 2009, 09:14:29 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

kingbrutis

I cooked up my brine tonite. Will soak then smoke. We are doing the save to serve Thurs morning. It's good to help those that need it. They have a HUGE smoker.
#14 - November 23, 2009, 09:25:49 pm
KCBS Judge #53780

Members: