AZ Barbeque.com

Stick burners = cooking over flaming wood?

Discussion started on

Bill Bain

Like a log of pitmasters using an offset I start with charcoal that I light with a weed burner then add two fireplace size logs. The Klose will stabalize in about an hour at 225 and from then on I add a log every 45min to 1 hr.  Vent is always open and the firebox door is open for a while while the fire gets up and going.
#16 - March 25, 2010, 05:51:14 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

PAPAS BBQ

I use nothing but wood 8)
#17 - August 20, 2010, 07:21:25 pm
"Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."

revgodless

if the wood has cured right and everything, it doesn't have the dangerous stuff. the wet wood, the freshly cut live wood has the nasty stuff like formaldehyde in it. which wen it's cured, leaves the wood... so whether you just use wood or charcoal with wood chips.. same fuel source.

I hate the fact I know that... Fricking step mother.
#18 - August 25, 2010, 05:27:39 pm
(480)636-6990
Promotions Department
Monotronics Security systems
AZ BBQer home owners get a $1500
system, installation, and activation for no charge.
Serving Phoenix and surrounding area

Spicy Mike

Well it was about a year ago I created this thread and I caught myself thinking about it again. I found the article that brought this question up and below are some exerpts.
"Seems that wood is the world's most widely used industrial raw material and the third most coimmonly used fuel.v The hardwoods used in preparation of barbeque are composed primarily of cellulose (39%), hemicellulose (35%), and lignin (19.5%), extractivies (3.1%) and ash (0.3%). The cellulose and lignin are primarily in the cell walls.
The extractives, primarily in the cells and walls, are such things as tanins, starches, resins, oils, dyes, alkaloids, and sugars. These vary widely among wood species and give each its distinctive characteristics. Up to 80% of the weight of green wood is retained water. Dry wood reaches an equilibrium at 20%. Wood does not burn directly. Rather, when heat is applied it first undergoes a process of themal degradation called pyrolysis in which the wood breaks down into a mixture of volitiles and solid carbonaceous char. The cellulose and hemicellulose mainly form volitiles while the lignin forms the char. Exactly what products are formed by each depends on the temperature, heating rate, particle size, and any catalysts that might be present.
The solid char remains in place. What goes up with the volitles are a gas fraction (carbon monoxide and dioxide, some hydrocarbons, and elemental hydrogen), a condensed fraction ( water, aldehydes, acids, ketones, and alcohols) and - here we go! - a tar fraction (sugar residues from the breakdown of  cellulose furan and derivatives phenolic compounds, and -pay attention here - airborne particles of tar and charred material which form the smoke. If oxygen is present and the temp is sufficiently high, burning of the volitiles occurs. When temp are too low or when or when there is insufficient oxygen for complete combustion of the volitiles, smoldering occurs. This is characterized by smoking, the emission of unoxidized pyrolysis products. If the temperature is high enough, then flaming combustion occurs with less smoking and more complete oxidation of the pyrolysis products. Further pyrolysis of volitiles during combustion may cause char particles (soot) to form.

The remaining lignin char burns in the presence of oxygen in glowing combustion. These are my beloved coals that yield the thin blue smoke that makews great barbeque! And that is why it is so important to pre-burn the wood to coals.

Comments?
#19 - February 06, 2011, 06:44:34 pm
Salad!?! Salad ain't food, it's what we FEED food!

Members: