AZ Barbeque.com

New fire grate for offset questions

Discussion started on

Bill Bain

Need to make a new fire grate for an offset.  Looking for suggestions on fab.
#1 - May 21, 2012, 02:06:46 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

azcyclone

I like using 1/4 inch angle  to make  a grate that looks kinda like this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^  just cut it to length a little smaller than your firebox, connect the angle with some 1/4 strap.  This will help to keep the ashes from putting the fire out.

Just an idea, it worked well for a friend a built it for.
#2 - May 22, 2012, 07:09:56 pm

Bill Bain

I like it.
#3 - May 22, 2012, 09:41:14 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

Bill Bain

Sometimes you just flat out get surprised. I took my offset over to the local welding shop and told them I wanted a new fire grate and gave them some general idea of what I was looking for, we discussed the fab and I left.  When I came back to pick up the smoker we looked at the fab of the firegrate and I was shocked to see that not only was it a great job and exactly what I wanted but that he decided that since I had horseshoes as handles on the smoker doors he would put horseshoes as handles on the firegrate to make it easier to take in and out.  It affirms my philosophy that when you have a pro work on something you give general directions on what you want and then get out of they way.  My next project is for him to make me a whole hog grate to take hogs in and out of the smoker and you can believe that the handles will be horseshoes.
#4 - June 10, 2012, 06:55:12 am
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

Members: