AZ Barbeque.com

My Charcoal Eater

Discussion started on

smokewagonbbq

Here's a picture of me cooking prime rib and 10 chickens on Super Bolw Sunday this year on my monster.  It's been a great smoker but it sure eats alot of wood...at the Tempe BBQ Comp it managed to consume 70 lbs of charcoal!

It's great for bigger events where it really makes sense, but it's a little overkill for a weekend family dinner ;D

My father in law and his metal fab company made this for me at their shop here in Glendale last year.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - April 09, 2009, 10:30:13 pm
Smoke Wagon Bar-B-Que, LLC
Fire Up the Pit...

Mike (AZBarbeque)

That is one awesome looking smoker though..  It's all about the Roll ups... You can only make one first impression..  ;)  ;D
#2 - April 09, 2009, 11:12:31 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

force

Nice. rig.........
#3 - April 10, 2009, 11:08:24 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

azkitch

Maybe your FIL can tell me what this expanded metal I got is...that is to say, what type of metal.

It's silvery and shiny, but not stainless. #9 X 3/4 I believe. I know...no one can tell much from a photo. I'm going to take some to work, see if anyone can help there. I just hope it isn't galvanized, tho' I'm fairly certain it isn't. Very magnetic, it is.
dk
#4 - April 19, 2009, 09:54:49 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

smokewagonbbq

I will ask him....Not galvanized huh??  It sure looks it..
#5 - April 20, 2009, 05:20:45 pm
Fire Up the Pit...

hillbille

hit it w/ a propane weed flamer and it won't be galvanized for long- stand upwind
#6 - April 20, 2009, 09:35:51 pm
bbq newby

Quiggs

Coulb be chromed, It is poular around here for jeep racks, not polished to super high sheen but give very good rust protection.
#7 - April 21, 2009, 07:16:27 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

bearbonez

You able to get thing to temp on charcoal? My gator is a much smaller backyard model, and I have a hell of a time getting over 185 with charcoal.
#8 - June 02, 2009, 09:25:52 am
David "Bear" Nunley

smokewagonbbq

Bear,

I have used lump my whole life.....I was strictly a natural wood kind of guy.  Last weekend I used Kingsford in my UDS and I found out some good things that I am having a hard time believing....

But for the stick burner, yes only lump and whole sections of pecan/oak/apple about 8 to 16 inches long and 3 to 6 inches around.

#9 - June 02, 2009, 12:21:41 pm
Fire Up the Pit...

bearbonez

Maybe it's an elevation thing. I am at 7000'. I have even got frustrated and gave up on minion method in the basket. Turned on the log lighter to get the whole basket going at once. I keep the intake vents wide open and have even cracked the firebox door a little bit. the thing just wont get up to temp. I gave up on charcoal and chunks. I can throw a stick on top and get temps up so I dont go through as much wood at least.
 A couple weeks ago, there was a huge pile of cut down apple trees on the side of the road, so I have a decent stock of apple wood now. Maybe bout 1/4 cord worth...now I just need it to dry out.
#10 - June 03, 2009, 10:31:33 am
David "Bear" Nunley

Members: