Smokers, Grills, Pitts & More > Stick Burner & Trailer Smokers & Grills

anyone cut a propane tank???

(1/3) > >>

joshd52:
Has anyone on here cut a 250 gallon propane tank?  I need some help cutting it, I don't wanna become a fireball...

sabo:
Well there are several ways..i prefer filled to the brim with water, but I have used the cheap way..connect a hose from your cars exhaust to the tank and make the first cut at an 90 degree angle. I am still above the grass..so it must work.

joshd52:

--- Quote from: sabo on September 12, 2010, 01:09:07 pm ---Well there are several ways..i prefer filled to the brim with water, but I have used the cheap way..connect a hose from your cars exhaust to the tank and make the first cut at an 90 degree angle. I am still above the grass..so it must work.

--- End quote ---

You in az???

sabo:
in Mesa..but I dont have the equipment  to do it. We used to solder/weld up gas tanks using both methods..its not hard..Ya just have to make sure there is no combustible gases..Absence of Oxygen in the Tank is your Friend, the combo of O2 and Gas makes your wife a widow. A 90 degree cut blows the gas outwards.., straight in ..bad news. I must advise that you take your project to someone that knows what He is doing. Best wishes and Good Luck

Quiggs:
It's done all the time by many means.........found this version on the web of course. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2113397/how_to_safely_cut_open_a_propane_tank.html

I found an artical a year ago from the gas industry that stated as long as you filled it a couple of time with water and let drain and dry for a few days no gas should be left...but who knows...

We have one (250 propane tank)that has been sitting empty for a year now and are about to carve it up, so we are going to use Co2 extinguisher to fill the void before I let teamate Shorty spark away.  I would do it myself but don't want to take the GLORY away from him...............hhhmmmmm I hope telephoto lense will be able to see him in orbit....?

Quiggs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version