Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Correct..
#31 - December 16, 2010, 11:24:27 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

grizmt

So if it's a net gain/wash to make it TOY then other than feelings what would stop someone from doing it (since there's no net cost)?
#32 - December 16, 2010, 11:48:47 am

G$

So if it's a net gain/wash to make it TOY then other than feelings what would stop someone from doing it (since there's no net cost)?

I assume you guys understand that paying $500 and then getting $500 in team entry fees does not neccesarily make it a wash, right?  That was rhetorical I guess.  I know you guys know this.
#33 - December 16, 2010, 12:52:46 pm
G$

Mike (AZBarbeque)

We do understand it's not a wash, rather it shows the value in making it part of our points race.

#34 - December 16, 2010, 01:01:53 pm
Michael J. Reimann

AzScott

Mike is it better to just do a BCS championship?  That way you aren't dealing with KCBS, other promoters, etc.  This whole thing has a ton of politics going on and if it were just BCS you eliminate additional politics, worrying about KCBS and IBCA, and out of state events.  I know that us competitors only really want to compete in a well run event sanctioned by a sanctioning body we trust.  If you have a BCS TOY and ROY then I think most everyone would be satisfied.  If an outside promoter sees value in trying to be part of the TOY / ROY well then they can be sanctioned by BCS.  AZ Barbecue for all intensive purposes is now BCS.  AZ BBQ (Mike and Tommy) isn't a BBQ group that brings contests to AZ sanctioned by KCBS or IBCA anymore.  Run 100% with the new sanctioning body and don't worry about the rest.  We are all behind you and support what you do for bbq.
#35 - December 16, 2010, 01:11:12 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

jim

Rocky Mt BBQA -- Cup -- $250.00
Average contest $200.00
Average payout -- $8000.00
Contests signed up -- 95%
Average Americans charging a fair price to play the game --
And yes at the end of the year they hand out awards and $$$$
jim
#36 - December 16, 2010, 01:18:28 pm

glenntm

Why not have people sign up for the TOY race.  Charge an entry fee and use that for prize money and awards at the end of the year.  Maybe even get a TOY sponsor, and the race is named after them. 

If you don't want to be in the running don't enter the race. 
#37 - December 16, 2010, 01:27:37 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

That's why we are trying to get feedback Scott.  We actually have a few events currently sanctioned by other sanctioning bodies that want to be a part of our Points Race.  We also have out of State events that have expressed interest as well.  Trying to put the best race we can out there that helps draw the most teams.  We had 145 Teams compete in the race this year, pretty impressive...

Tom, we are always looking for a sponsor for the Team of the Year race, but have not secured one yet...  Still hoping...
#38 - December 16, 2010, 01:34:29 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Mrs. McFrankenboo

Well, not for nothing but listening to a couple of promoters and hearing the response to the TOY cost thing a couple of times it sure seemed to me from the tone/content there was some emotional trips going on. Yes, we're supposedly all adults but age certainly doesn't dissuade the juvenal side from popping out from time to time otherwise you'd not see people happy at others misfortune right? Or are we so deluded that we think there aren't people out there happy that Mike/AZBBQ/us got smacked?

As for doing what's best for their events, I disagree. People tend to do what is in their best interest first, being it making money for their organization,themselves or choosing events to go to. Down on the list somewhere is how it affects others.
 I'm not saying it's a bad thing or wrong but it's the way the world seems to work.

To address the first part, since it's a new year, why don't we just forget the past and move on?  Of course you will have people that want others to fail, at some point everyone has been guilty of this in their life.  Whatever. Make the best of it and move on.  If they don't want to be a part of it, then so be it.  As for the second part, it's not always bad to think of yourself first.  For example, I don't want kids.  Should I have had them because my mother wants grandchildren?  Should I have thought of her first?  Sorry, but there are situations where you have to do what is right for you and I don't think that makes me a bad person.   Just because they don't want to be a part of the TOY doesn't mean they are bad people or selfish.  Also, if they don't want to be a part of it doesn't mean they want Mike to fail.  I am over all the politics and it's frustrating to listen to it and see the finger pointing.  Nobody wants to choose sides, we just want to be a part of great events in our own backyard.  Sorry to hijack the thread but I don't think just because you some crap has gone on the past means that everybody is in on it.  Start the new year off on the right foot and move forward.
#39 - December 16, 2010, 02:00:28 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I'm with you on it Erin, that's why I want to include all of them this year, but the question is, the events that DO want to support the club & the points race, do we offer more points?

We want it to be fair and I can't tell you how many times I heard this past year that if only Havasu had not counted and yes, it's true, not every team can make every event.  This year, it just worked out that those that did not make Havasu suffered because it was the largest comp.

I would suggest something like this.  All events in Arizona count toward the Team of the Year.  Events that support the Club & Points race have their points doubled.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??
#40 - December 16, 2010, 02:22:23 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Scottie

I'd keep it as simple as possible.  Your last example is simple.  I think a real good starting point. 
#41 - December 16, 2010, 02:46:28 pm
Scottie

Head Dishwasher cancersuckschicago.com

FE-100
FEC-100
Large BGE
WSM
Homer Simpson Weber Kettle

glenntm

Mike...Your last suggestion sounds very fair and easy to implement. 
#42 - December 16, 2010, 02:56:52 pm

grizmt

To address the first part, since it's a new year, why don't we just forget the past and move on?  Of course you will have people that want others to fail, at some point everyone has been guilty of this in their life.  Whatever. Make the best of it and move on.  If they don't want to be a part of it, then so be it.  As for the second part, it's not always bad to think of yourself first.  For example, I don't want kids.  Should I have had them because my mother wants grandchildren?  Should I have thought of her first?  Sorry, but there are situations where you have to do what is right for you and I don't think that makes me a bad person.   Just because they don't want to be a part of the TOY doesn't mean they are bad people or selfish.  Also, if they don't want to be a part of it doesn't mean they want Mike to fail.  I am over all the politics and it's frustrating to listen to it and see the finger pointing.  Nobody wants to choose sides, we just want to be a part of great events in our own backyard.  Sorry to hijack the thread but I don't think just because you some crap has gone on the past means that everybody is in on it.  Start the new year off on the right foot and move forward.
Not pointing fingers or saying anyone is a bad person, Just stating the logical reality of the situation. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough in my last post.
I'm all for moving on, so in that vein...... moving on.... ;)
#43 - December 16, 2010, 04:38:04 pm

Smoke'N Phoenicians BBQ

? what is the deal with KCBS not ALLOWING AZ BBQ club to have events sanctioned events.... did they kick us out? I thought we were WANTING to start our own sanctioning body, I notice a lot of other states do the same thing so whats the deal? 
#44 - December 16, 2010, 09:07:12 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

We are starting our own Sanctioning body.  We are just trying to figure out the Team of the Year for next year, do we count all events in AZ or just the ones we sanction.  Just getting feedback...
#45 - December 16, 2010, 09:09:21 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Members: