AZ Barbeque.com

Changes for 2011

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Well, now that we are done with our 2010 season, what, if any, changes would you like to see with this ToY & RoY race for 2011?

Some of the things asked this past year is once again about having out of state events count toward our race if the right criteria were met.

Also, about how many events count toward the final numbers

Also about having the smaller events like the Brisket & Rib Throwdowns count.

Sound off and let's see what your thoughts are..
#1 - December 13, 2010, 12:46:16 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AzScott

I'd recommend points based upon something other than how many teams one beats at a competition.  Basing points off of how many teams a team beats at a comp and using that for points is simple but it really puts a team at a disadvantage if they can't make a large competition for one reason or another.  It also affects rookies that start halfway through the season.  The option I like the best is % of field beaten at the competition.  Using % of field beaten would also create a fair system when the event may be BCS, KCBS, IBCA, or some local brisket challenge.  Using the % FB also creates incentive for teams to participate in smaller events as well as a local brisket / rib competition.  The 2010 point system does not.

#2 - December 13, 2010, 12:57:37 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

I would like to see any of the smaller events count(like the brisket and rib ones). Those are the only type of events I can compete in. They are very similar to the big events but they give guys like me a chance to compete without having the big investment because of my job(I have to work most weekends)
#3 - December 13, 2010, 01:53:40 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Mark

I agree. The small events are fun, affordable and allows members without the big rigs to show their stuff. Maybe even a rub exchange. I also think a few more themed fun events might interest members. Much like Oktoberfest and the Super Bowl party, perhaps we can gather for Mardi Gras or a Cinco de Mayo get-together. Plus a Santa look-alike beard-growing contest for the next Holiday Party would be a natural for many of our members. ;)
#4 - December 13, 2010, 03:48:19 pm
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:54:32 pm by Mark »
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Weaponeer

I disagree with the small events being included in the ROY. Because once you enter a brisket cook-off you become ineligible for ROY the following year. I personally would like a shot at ROY if I were to spend the time and money to get a team going. Until then I would like to see how my stuff would dstack up against everyone elses.
#5 - December 13, 2010, 04:00:22 pm
Tony O'Brien - ASU Student
CBJ #53784

Mark

I'm sorry. I missread Mike's comment. My comments were based on events in general and what entertaining ones could be added to the calendar. I don't think winning a weenie roast should gain you any ground in the TOY race.
#6 - December 13, 2010, 04:52:37 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Paul

I think winning a weenie roast should get you weenie of the year honors :D
#7 - December 13, 2010, 05:10:39 pm

AzQer

I think the smaller events are very important, maybe there should be a I dont know maybe call it backyard team of the year for the smaller events. As was stated a lot of time and money go into getting TOY.
Just my .02 cents
#8 - December 13, 2010, 06:57:50 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

AzScott

I think the smaller events are very important, maybe there should be a I dont know maybe call it backyard team of the year for the smaller events. As was stated a lot of time and money go into getting TOY.
Just my .02 cents

I was thinking about this after eating dinner tonight.  I also agree that small brisket / rib challenges should not count towards ROY or TOY.  Perhaps a Backyard TOY that would include the random mini contests and backyard contests at comps.  A comp doing 4 meats compared to turning in a brisket you cooked at home isn't the same.
#9 - December 13, 2010, 07:57:01 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Thom Emery

. I don't think winning a weenie roast should gain you any ground in the TOY race.

Thats funny LOL really
#10 - December 13, 2010, 08:44:06 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

desertdog

As far as the out of state comps go, I think that a contest would qualify if it had a certain number or % of Arizona teams signed up. 

Allowing out of state contests would be a win win for both states, getting additional teams to participate helps the out of state contest organizers, and increases the point totals for the AZ TOY and ROY, making more contests relevant.  The reason we did so well for this year's TOY is that we did really well at the well attended Lake Havasu event.
#11 - December 14, 2010, 10:18:06 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

big daddy

IF IT AINT BROKE......I THINK IT WORKS FINE AS IS SIMPLE,CLEAR, AND TO THE POINT!!!
#12 - December 14, 2010, 09:26:09 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Our normal procedure is events that wish to be a part of our Team of the Year race pay $500 plus one team entry for us to raffle off with proceeds going to one of our Club Supported Charities.

In 2010, we did not have any event pay, all of them said they wanted to see how it went and if it went well, they would certainly do it in 2011.  Well, now that 2011 is coming about, they are still not willing to pay.

The money ($500) is earmarked to go into a fund that is solely for our Team of the Year fund to cover trophies and hopefully, some sort of cash payout to the teams.

So, the question is, what events do we count toward our Team of the Year?  If we count all events that happen in Arizona, do we give added value to the events that support the club & the Team of the Year race as opposed to the ones that don't?

For Example, this year, all the teams who won Team of the Year for the overall as well as the individual categories had a great showing at the Havasu event.  In 2011, they have decided they do NOT want to be part of the Team of the Year race.  Do we exclude this event or do we count it, but at a lesser value than an event that does support the race?

Post up your thoughts..
#13 - December 14, 2010, 10:22:18 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Crash

If $500 is too rich for a promoter's blood, I say exclude their event from the AZBBQ TOY race.  If promoters have no desire to pay a small fee to promote their event , why give them the opportunity to gain additional teams (and $). 

#14 - December 14, 2010, 11:21:53 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AzQer

I'm going to have to agree with crash here If a promoter wants to advertise there event there should be some cost to them. I know on the state to the west of us you have to be a business member I think to advertise an event
#15 - December 15, 2010, 07:00:55 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Members: