AZ Barbeque.com

Changes for 2011

Discussion started on

Smoke'N Phoenicians BBQ

I guess it comes down to how many BCS events are gonna happen this year...  it would be nice to have the same amount of events this year as we had last... either way SmokeN' P's our in!
#46 - December 16, 2010, 09:40:29 pm

grizmt

We are starting our own Sanctioning body.  We are just trying to figure out the Team of the Year for next year, do we count all events in AZ or just the ones we sanction.  Just getting feedback...
So it seems to me that this all boils down to how to cover the cost of TOY/ROY without making it a 4-5 BCS only event chase. If you count all events for a fee and there's no compelling reason for the events to sign on then they won't and you'll have no one to share costs. If you count all events at no cost (to them) then BCS has to cover it totally and BCS has to get the $$ from somewhere right, or am I missing something?

This pickle sounds like something that was dealt with by the club last year and it confuses me as to where the debate is coming from now? I would like to direct your memory to the Queen Creek comp which in the beginning refused to be linked to AZBBQ triple crown. It was stated several times by teams that if it wasn't a T.C. event then many teams would not sign up and from my observation that's pretty much what happened. It turned into a T.C. event, teams started signing up and was a real,real nice comp right?

#47 - December 17, 2010, 07:26:18 am

Mrs. McFrankenboo

The reason people had issues with Queen Creek was because we didn't have any information.  In that past, all events in Arizona were pretty much through AZ Barbeque so when a new one popped up on the grid and we had no info, people questioned it.  Until KCBS and Emily quelled all fears, of course we'll be leary.  Just like the MOntana competition, and where is that now?? 

We're getting off track here.  If you want to do this, do it.  Don't focus on those that don't want to be a part of it, focus on those that do.  If you are going to bring anyone else in, why not CA? Most teams seem to go back and forth between those 2 states.  If you want another state that wants to be a part of it, go with it.  Things in BBQ have changed everywhere so just embrace what's there.  I did like what Mike said about having extra points for an event that paid to be a part of it.  As Scottie said, make it simple.
#48 - December 17, 2010, 08:16:06 am

bbqphx.com

Rocky Mt BBQA -- Cup -- $250.00
Average contest $200.00
Average payout -- $8000.00
Contests signed up -- 95%
Average Americans charging a fair price to play the game --
And yes at the end of the year they hand out awards and $$$$
jim

Maybe something to think about lower cost per competition means more teams would be able to enter.  I'm just sayin'...
#49 - December 17, 2010, 06:51:52 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Maybe something to think about lower cost per competition means more teams would be able to enter.  I'm just sayin'...

We don't control those for the most part, the event does.  If we were able to get more sponsors in to cover costs, that would be ideal.  If any of you know of companies interested in sponsoring these sorts of things, let us know, we would love to have a "FREE" BBQ Comp..
#50 - December 17, 2010, 07:36:41 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AzQer

I have been thinking about how to address this TOY and ROY of the year race for the new BCS. This is my .02 cents.
I think if the event is put on by the BCS or if the promoter of the event is willing to put money into the TOY, ROY  fund then it shall also be considered as part of the race. I think the idea of BCS team of the year means it was an endorsed by BCS event. So this means any other event shouldn't be considered for the TOY points. If we count all events then is it really a BCS team of the year.
#51 - December 22, 2010, 07:15:29 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

AZWildcat

For newer teams like ours we do not count on bringing any prize money home from a competition. We need to either sell people's choice or have a lower entry fee to make things worth while. Some of the more experienced teams I know plan on winning money which helps offset the competitions cost. Just don't forget that in order to attract new teams it helps to have lower entry fees and possible public interest. We all start at the bottom and start somewhere so maybe do things to try to attract new teams. When I have spoken with people who are interested in putting a team together entry fees remain the biggest obstacle. Just my 2 cents from the new guy.
#52 - December 22, 2010, 11:35:21 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

grizmt

For newer teams like ours we do not count on bringing any prize money home from a competition. We need to either sell people's choice or have a lower entry fee to make things worth while. Some of the more experienced teams I know plan on winning money which helps offset the competitions cost. Just don't forget that in order to attract new teams it helps to have lower entry fees and possible public interest. We all start at the bottom and start somewhere so maybe do things to try to attract new teams. When I have spoken with people who are interested in putting a team together entry fees remain the biggest obstacle. Just my 2 cents from the new guy.
Very good point Dan, attracting new teams or simply helping a group of people who are on the fence about competing decide to dive in is good for everyone.
#53 - December 23, 2010, 07:14:16 am

AZWildcat

Very good point Dan, attracting new teams or simply helping a group of people who are on the fence about competing decide to dive in is good for everyone.
we all know that if you can get a team to enter just once, they are screwed.....errr ....hooked forever!
#54 - December 23, 2010, 03:14:11 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Members: