AZ Barbeque.com

Changes for 2011

Discussion started on

Crash

It would be a bummer for any AZ event that has the potential to draw a lot of teams to not be a part of the AZ Barbeque TOY points chase. 

I know that I personally wont attend any event in AZ that is not a part of the TOY race.   :D ;) :D
#16 - December 15, 2010, 04:15:24 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AzScott

I agree with Crash.  What's good for BBQ is in the end good for AZ BBQ and BCS.  the more TOY events the better it is for BBQ.
#17 - December 15, 2010, 09:18:10 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I think Crash was meaning that it would not make sense for these other events NOT to support the local BBQ Club & our Team of the Year race.
#18 - December 15, 2010, 09:37:35 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

glenntm

In a perfect world it would be nice to have ALL Arizona events count towards the TOY standings...
#19 - December 16, 2010, 06:08:37 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I agree, but how do we do it so that the events that support the club & the Team of the Year race benefit?

Do we award more points to those that do?  Ultimately, it's up to the teams to make it known to the event promoters that they want the events to be a part of the race.  I can only do so much..

If an event, say like Havasu, were NOT a Team of the Year event, would it keep you from competing?  As a competitor, do you look to see if an event is a Team of the Year event when deciding?  If money were involved in the Team of the Year Race, would that make you look before signing up?  Just some questions so we can work at putting together the best, competitive race in 2011.
#20 - December 16, 2010, 06:36:16 am
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:37:59 am by Mike (AZBarbeque) »
Michael J. Reimann

grizmt

The problem with getting events to pay to support TOY/ROY is a simple one of leverage. If they feel there's no downside to not supporting it (ie: teams not attending etc) then why would they? I've got a feeling promoters see this as a tax of sorts that they see as taking money out of their pockets for no upside.
I think some of 'em also get a bit of a "kick" or power rush out of saying heck no, we don't care about TOY/ROY.
Remember, there is no real cost (to them) as far as I can tell if they blow it off.
#21 - December 16, 2010, 06:37:22 am

glenntm

I hear ya Mike.  It not an easy position for anyone.  For me it really doesn't matter if it's a TOY event.  We want to compete in quality run event with lots of teams.  Last year almost all the AZ events were included in TOY. 

I don't have an answer for the problem.  Maybe you charge an entry fee for teams that want to be in the TOY race.  Nevada had a 3K purse for the TOY over there.  Not sure where the money came from.
#22 - December 16, 2010, 06:50:39 am

Jaybird

Due to the current situation between AzBarbeque and KCBS, I don't think any promoter that promotes a KCBS event can have anything to do with AzBarbeque whatsoever. So I think getting $2 or $500 from them is out of the question.
#23 - December 16, 2010, 07:38:43 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Due to the current situation between AzBarbeque and KCBS, I don't think any promoter that promotes a KCBS event can have anything to do with AzBarbeque whatsoever. So I think getting $2 or $500 from them is out of the question.

From my understanding, that is incorrect.  KCBS will not sanction an event with us, but they have no say over if a promoter pays to advertise it on the site here or make it a points event.  KCBS controls sanctioning, that's it.  They are NOT the BBQ Police...  They have certainly gotten too big for their egos over there..

We still have several KCBS events that advertise/promote on here, so obviously that is not the case.
#24 - December 16, 2010, 08:11:17 am
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:19:07 am by Mike (AZBarbeque) »
Michael J. Reimann

Mrs. McFrankenboo

TOY points have a little to do with which events you choose, but that's not what it's all about.  Just like with KCBS, not everyone is chasing the points, they want events that they know are run a certain way and that there will be no questions in the end.  As for money being involved, and this is where I address Jim Jones' stuff as well, there were 9 TOY events in AZ this year.  That should have been $4,500 that was brought in for that but none of the teams that won were awarded any of that so that money hasn't been involved right?  These contest have to pay out $500 plus a free entry? For what? What does the promotor of those events get out of making it a TOY event?  Not to be negative, but if they are putting money out there, what are getting in return?  I know that we aren't going to not go to a quality event in Arizona just because it's not a TOY points event, that would silly.  As for promotors getting a kick out of saying no or getting a rush out of it, we're adults, what would they really get a kick out of?  And how would that benefit them in the end?? They are promoting events and doing what they feel is best for their event, I'm pretty sure it's as simple at that. 

#25 - December 16, 2010, 09:28:08 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Erin, I agree with you, the promoters are doing what is best for their events.

I would think what is best is to support & include the local BBQ Club, but I could be wrong.

Yes, we should have had $4500 in the account this year, but like I said, no one paid.  We basically gave all the events a Free pass this year with the intent that they would all pay from here on out.  We showed them the benefit of paying the money & donating the entry up front.

What their $500 gets them is a seperate section in our Upcoming Events section as well as a Banner ad in the rotation with a min of 500 impressions per month up until 30 days out, then it goes up to 2000 - 3000 impressions for that last month.  Remember, these are only minimum impressions.  The actuals are a lot higher.

The donated entry is basically used to help keep money coming in for our Charities all year long.  We always raffle it off on the site here and direct the money to one of our Charities.  

It is our goal to use the $500 for each Team of the Year event to create an actual prize fund for the Team of the Year race where the Top ?? Overall & in each category would win some cash back at the end of the year and also for it to help cover the cost of the trophies.  Up until now, this has all come out of my pocket.  We want the Team of the Year race to actually help pay for itself.  We are not trying to get rich on it or even make any money on it, it's all earmarked for the teams.

Remember, our site here is FREE thanks to our Sponsors/advertisers & the events that advertise on here.  The benefit is in helping to support the local club which hopefully they are a part of and to promote their event as best they can.
#26 - December 16, 2010, 09:42:27 am
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:46:40 am by Mike (AZBarbeque) »
Michael J. Reimann

glenntm

Mike...Any insight into how they do it in California?  They seem to have all their events count towards TOY.  I'm not familiar with the system they have over there.
#27 - December 16, 2010, 10:01:25 am

grizmt

Quote from: Mrs. McFrankenboo on Today at 09:28:08 am
TOY points have a little to do with which events you choose, but that's not what it's all about.  Just like with KCBS, not everyone is chasing the points, they want events that they know are run a certain way and that there will be no questions in the end.  As for money being involved, and this is where I address Jim Jones' stuff as well, there were 9 TOY events in AZ this year.  That should have been $4,500 that was brought in for that but none of the teams that won were awarded any of that so that money hasn't been involved right?  These contest have to pay out $500 plus a free entry? For what? What does the promotor of those events get out of making it a TOY event?  Not to be negative, but if they are putting money out there, what are getting in return?  I know that we aren't going to not go to a quality event in Arizona just because it's not a TOY points event, that would silly.  As for promotors getting a kick out of saying no or getting a rush out of it, we're adults, what would they really get a kick out of?  And how would that benefit them in the end?? They are promoting events and doing what they feel is best for their event, I'm pretty sure it's as simple at that.

Well, not for nothing but listening to a couple of promoters and hearing the response to the TOY cost thing a couple of times it sure seemed to me from the tone/content there was some emotional trips going on. Yes, we're supposedly all adults but age certainly doesn't dissuade the juvenal side from popping out from time to time otherwise you'd not see people happy at others misfortune right? Or are we so deluded that we think there aren't people out there happy that Mike/AZBBQ/us got smacked?

I agree with Mike, there is benefit to the TOY/ROY but it's not as tangible as losing teams if it's not a TOY event. I think it's very short sighted if the thinking is "all I get is some ad space" and we're advertising enough. IMO Having it listed on this site in a primary position generates a lot of buzz with the teams who then go out to other forums/friends and push the event thereby creating more entries and a positive spin to the events. I don't know how to make this a tangible thing but in relatively short time on this site I've seen it happen a couple of times. Personally I think $500 in the scope of what is made is a really small amount to pay out for all the good will it generates.

As for doing what's best for their events, I disagree. People tend to do what is in their best interest first, being it making money for their organization,themselves or choosing events to go to. Down on the list somewhere is how it affects others.
 I'm not saying it's a bad thing or wrong but it's the way the world seems to work.
#28 - December 16, 2010, 10:41:37 am
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:57:34 am by Mike (AZBarbeque) »

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Personally I think $500 in the scope of what is made is a really small amount to pay out for all the good will it generates.

True, it also pays for itself right away as when an event sends in their $500, we instantly send out 3 registrations (AZBarbeque, Whiskey Ranch & Smoked to the Bone) which more than covers that cost.
#29 - December 16, 2010, 10:58:49 am
Michael J. Reimann

grizmt

True, it also pays for itself right away as when an event sends in their $500, we instantly send out 3 registrations (AZBarbeque, Whiskey Ranch & Smoked to the Bone) which more than covers that cost.
So depending on the entry fee it could actually be a net gain or at worst a wash when you add those teams in right?
#30 - December 16, 2010, 11:19:20 am

Members: