AZ Barbeque.com
Likes 10 Likes

2018 AZBarbeque Arizona Triple Crown of BBQ Team of the Year (ToY)

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

The Arizona Triple Crown of BBQ is our Team of the Year contest here at AZBarbeque.  We have been doing it since 2009.

Any standard 4 meat sanctioned event will be eligible. (BCS, IBCA, KCBS, PNWBBQ, etc.)  

The 2018 award will go to the Team that has the highest point total from all of these events here in Arizona.  

Any team who competes in any of these events will be included.

Points are accumulated in the following manner.

If an event has 25 teams, the Grand Champion will receive 25 points, the RGC will receive 24 pts and so on until the last place team at 1 point.  In the event of an IBCA contest where we only know the top 11, 12 and above will all receive the same point total of "1".

The Team name & Head Cook must be the same for each event in order to qualify.  If it's not or if you Team up with other cooks, your Combined name & Head cook for that event will be added to the race as a New Team.

Good Luck to everyone, we look forward to seeing you all out on the BBQ Trail.
#1 - February 05, 2018, 02:39:33 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mike (AZBarbeque)

After the first 2 events of the year, here are the results.

It's a close race, if you aren't signed up to compete at the upcoming Freedom RV comp, you need to be.  It's points will be important.

Here are the top 5 overall BBQ Teams as of today.

1KNIFE PORK AND SPOON
2ALL ABOUT SMOKIN Q
3BAD BOYZ BBQ
4LOOT N' BOOTY BBQ
5SWEET PETE'S BBQ

Good luck to all the teams out there on the BBQ Trail.

After 2 events, we have already had 93 unique BBQ Teams competing.  How cool is that.
#2 - February 05, 2018, 02:42:44 pm
Attachments:
Michael J. Reimann

azcyclone

After Pleasant Harbor and Freedom RV, how do the standings shake out?
#3 - April 18, 2018, 08:41:39 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

After Pleasant Harbor and Freedom RV, how do the standings shake out?

Pleasant Harbor is already on the spreadsheet.  I'll update it again after the Showlow comp.
#4 - April 22, 2018, 02:57:38 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Mike (AZBarbeque)

After 4 events this year, here is how teams are stacked up.

Very impressive that after just 4 events, we have had 120 unique BBQ Teams compete here in Arizona.  That's AWESOME!!!

Looking forward to what the rest of the year has in store.

Congrats to our top 5 as of today.

1BAD BOYZ BBQ
2KNIFE PORK AND SPOON
3ALL ABOUT SMOKIN Q
4COW TIPPIN BBQ
5LOOT N' BOOTY BBQ
#5 - May 07, 2018, 08:25:26 am
Attachments:
Michael J. Reimann

thewils

Congrats to Bad Boys. Well earned. 

I was looking at the point system and notice the system does not weight the number of teams at an event to the ToY points system. Suggestion: Use the KCBS points system. The only additional thing I'd add to the KCBS system is give all AZ teams points, even if they don't make it to an AZ event. Give them 1 point less that DAL but give 0 bonus points. Example: Cow Tippin' didn't make it to Lake Pleasant. they'd receive 25 KCBS points (1 less than DAL and zero bonus points). DAL at contest would have received 26 point plus a bonus of 34 bonus points for 60 points total. IMO The AZ ToY current points system rewards the team that does the best in the KCBS contest and gives little relevance to our BCS events. I think most of us AZ teams know the BCS events are just as cool as any KCBS event. BCS event are just much more about AZ teams.
#6 - May 08, 2018, 10:19:05 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Congrats to Bad Boys. Well earned. I was looking at the point system and notice the system does not weight the number of teams at an event to the ToY points system. Suggestion: Use the KCBS points system. The only additional thing I'd add to the KCBS system is give all AZ teams points, even if they don't make it to an AZ event. Give them 1 point less that DAL but give 0 bonus points. Example: Cow Tippin' didn't make it to Lake Pleasant. they'd receive 25 KCBS points (1 less than DAL and zero bonus points). DAL at contest would have received 26 point plus a bonus of 34 bonus points for 60 points total. IMO The AZ ToY current points system rewards the team that does the best in the KCBS contest and gives little relevance to our BCS events. I think most of us AZ teams know the BCS events are just as cool as any KCBS event. BCS event are just much more about AZ teams.

Steve, congrats to you and Pam as well. Appreciate your comments, but I do disagree.  As everyone knows, I'm not much of a fan of that other sanctioning body, but I don't think that our events are just about AZ Teams.  If more people supported the BCS and actively participated in and helped it's events to grow, then could be bigger than any of these events out there.  Most of it comes down to the prize money.  If we had $10K events like we used to, we would get just as many teams to compete. I understand some of the national teams not wanting to come for the smaller prize fund events, but there are still plenty of AZ teams who do not support it.  If we want to see the big money events come back, then the teams have to show the support.

The last 2 Big Money BCS events we had that did not renew stated that they did not feel the BBQ Community support them.  It's hard to get sponsors to put up money if the BBQ Community doesn't support them back.

We will continue to work with our current events & sponsors, but we are always looking for new sponsors, venues and opportunities.

I run this point system myself, I get nothing out of it from any of the events, promoters or teams.  I do it because I made a commitment to the AZ BBQ Community that I would.  I'm more than happy to have someone else run it if they want, but I already put too much time & effort into it to make any changes.

We will be announcing a meeting soon to see if anyone wants to become more involved with running AZBarbeque, the BCS and the TOY race.  The past few years that we have done this, no one has shown up to the meetings.  Let's see if we get some new enthusiasm and involvement this year.
#7 - May 09, 2018, 02:10:32 pm
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:28:05 pm by Mike (AZBarbeque) »
Michael J. Reimann

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Here are the final 2018 Standings. We are listing top 10 only, but click on the attachments to see the full list.

Congrats to Bad Boyz BBQ for winning this year's AZBarbeque Arizona Triple Crown of BBQ Team of the Year.  You are in some great company and this is well deserved.

Congrats to Bad Boyz BBQ for also winning our Chicken, Ribs & Brisket Category Team of the Year 

Congrats to Knife, Pork & Spoon BBQ Team for winning the Pork Category Team of the Year.

We had 144 unique BBQ Teams compete here in Arizona last year.  Very impressive.

Good luck in 2019.

OVERALL:

RankTeam NamePoints
1BAD BOYZ BBQ231
2KNIFE PORK AND SPOON203
3ALL ABOUT SMOKIN Q197
4LOOT N' BOOTY BBQ195
5THE PIT CREW BBQ OF AZ189
6COW TIPPIN BBQ169
7BIG POPPA SMOKERS157
8PORTLY FELLAS BBQ155
9MAR-B-QUE'S BBQ.142
10BURNIN AND LOOTIN137

Chicken:

RankTeam NamePoints
1BAD BOYZ BBQ236
2KNIFE PORK AND SPOON227
3ALL ABOUT SMOKIN Q218
4LOOT N' BOOTY BBQ188
5THE PIT CREW BBQ OF AZ171
6COW TIPPIN BBQ150
7MAR-B-QUE'S BBQ.146
8YOUR BEHIND BBQ146
9BIG POPPA SMOKERS130
10SMOKIN' WITH SWAG125

Ribs:

RankTeam NamePoints
1BAD BOYZ BBQ207
2THE PIT CREW BBQ OF AZ180
3COW TIPPIN BBQ171
4KNIFE PORK AND SPOON169
5PORTLY FELLAS BBQ167
6SMOKERS PURGATORY162
7ALL ABOUT SMOKIN Q154
8LOOT N' BOOTY BBQ146
9BIG POPPA SMOKERS143
10YOUR BEHIND BBQ130
Pork:
RankTeam NamePoints
1KNIFE PORK AND SPOON195
2LOOT N' BOOTY BBQ193
3BAD BOYZ BBQ170
4ALL ABOUT SMOKIN Q166
5THE PIT CREW BBQ OF AZ157
6PORTLY FELLAS BBQ149
7BIG POPPA SMOKERS145
8COW TIPPIN BBQ135
9RUB YOUR MEAT BBQ133
10MAR-B-QUE'S BBQ.131
Brisket:
RankTeam NamePoints
1BAD BOYZ BBQ209
2LOOT N' BOOTY BBQ200
3THE PIT CREW BBQ OF AZ185
4MOODSWING BBQ183
5ALL ABOUT SMOKIN Q173
6PORTLY FELLAS BBQ155
7BURNIN AND LOOTIN144
8COW TIPPIN BBQ138
9KNIFE PORK AND SPOON136
10BIG POPPA SMOKERS134
#8 - February 25, 2019, 12:50:33 pm
Attachments:
Michael J. Reimann

Send this topic Print

Members: