AZ Barbeque.com

2012 Triple Crown Race

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

What, if any changes would you like to see for this coming year with our AZBarbeque Triple Crown Race?

Right now we have the Tucson Freedom RV event (BCS), the Surpise BBQ Event (KCBS) & the Lake Havasu BBQ Event in March (BCS) on the list.  We have a few more we are also about to announce.

I have been asked if we should include the Las Vegas one in this as well since they are supporting the club by advertising it on here.  Please post up your thoughts.

I know a lot of you have said that every BBQ comp in Arizona should count & I couldn't agree more.  HOWEVER, look at most of the Team of the Year Races throughout the country, they all charge to be a part of them so they can cover costs associated with running the race & whichever organization is running the race (KCBS, IBCA, CBBQA, etc.)

Let me give you all a brief breakdown of how we work this.

We allow all events to be posted on here.  If a promoter or event wants to have more exposure, ie banner ad, dedicated event thread/section, listed on Calendar, etc., that is a premium & has a cost associated with it. 

If they want to make it a part of the Triple Crown Team of the Year race, it's $500 and all of that is included.  We no longer require the Free Team Entry.  If it's donated, great, if not, that's OK as well.

When an event pays to become a Triple Crown, then we automatically sign up the AZBarbeque Team, so in reality, it's not a True $500, but due to the business, it has to be paid in before it's paid out.  Funny money, IRS Stuff..

I have heard numerous times that I am just charging so I can make money.  That is so UNTRUE...  Any money that comes in for these events goes directly into the Business fund & is used to pay out expenses associated with running this site & club. This web site & Club has NEVER made a profit to date, it's Always been a money losing business.  My Real Estate Business & our great Club Sponsors/Advertisers help keep it going from year to year & help continue to keep it FREE for everyone.  As much as you all think I do this for $$, I don't, never have.  I do this for the Love of BBQ, the enjoyment I get from hanging out with Friends, tossing a few back, & all the great friendships I've made.

Hope this explains & addresses some of the mis-conceptions that are out there.

Please post up your thoughts, ideas & suggestions..

Thanks...  ;)
#1 - January 05, 2012, 06:28:53 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I have been asked this numerous times, Why a Team would care if or want an event to be an "Official" Triple Crown event.

My response is, "Why Wouldn't You"...

As a BBQ Competitor myself, when I sign up to do an event, I'm committing that I'm going to bring my team to the event, spend my hard earned dollars to do so (Entry Fee, Travel Expenses, Food Costs, Supplies, Time off work, etc.) and do my best to win that event.  I expect the same commitment from the event.  I want them to make the event as good, appealing & successful as possible.  Supporting the local BBQ Club & wanting your event to be included in the year long points race should be a no brainer.  Imagine how much promotion you could get the following year saying that the past Team of the Year winner won due to your event.   The marketing potential alone would be HUGE!!

Everyone comes on this site & enjoys it for FREE.  Many of you come out to our Crawls, one meat comps, Socials (Superbowl, Holiday Party, etc.) & Charity events.  All of these cost money to run & operate.  For years, I have supported this club from my own pocket.  Yes, we do have advertisers & yes, some events pay to advertise or be Triple Crown Events, but those fees come no where close to covering the costs of this site, club & all of our events.

We don't hold nothing against events who don't choose to be Triple Crown Events, but just wonder why they wouldn't want to do so..  Seems like such a win/win for everyone involved & the exposure & marketing potential alone far outweigh the hard costs.  (Dedicated event section, listed on Calendar, Banner ads in rotation on here & BCS Site, postings on Social media sites, word of mouth promotions, etc.)

Hope this helps to explain our thoughts & detail the benefits of why Teams should want & request events to be a part of this great year long race.

Imagine how great it would be to have every event in Arizona a part of it.  ;)
#2 - January 05, 2012, 07:37:06 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Members: