AZ Barbeque.com

2010 AZBarbeque Triple Crown of BBQ Changes

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey all, what a great 2009 AZBarbeque Triple Crown of BBQ Team of the Year race.

We have a lot planned for 2010 and would like to see what changes if any you would like to see for next year's Triple Crown of BBQ Team of the Year race.

Some of the things we have been discussing are:

Change it to a team must compete in a minimum of 3 Triple Crown Events to be eligible and the Top 4 Events points will count.

Add a Rookie of the Year Category to the race.

Make it so that the Team earns points, not the Team & Head Cook (Several Teams changed Head Cook this past year at events.)

Add a category or categories for the small contest we have planned (Brisket only, Ribs & chicken we are planning, etc.)

Any other thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Or just leave it the same.  It ain't broke, don't mess with it.

Sound off...  ;)
#1 - December 16, 2009, 12:36:36 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

bbqfun

Being new and having never competed I would not know what to suggest.  However, I do like the sound of a "Rookie" division.  Looking forward to being humbled while I learn.
#2 - December 16, 2009, 07:17:32 am

Jaybird

Change it to a team must compete in a minimum of 3 Triple Crown Events to be eligible and the Top 4 Events points will count.

This sounds better to me. I competed and supported 4 contests this year and had to scratch one, whereas a team that only competed in 3 of course didn't have to scratch any. The contest I had to scratch was the RGC I took in Prescott...which as far as the rules this year for 2009 TOY didn't mean anything towards TOY. That made me go 'huh?'.
I think maybe the point system needs extra points for GC and RGC. Those are the 2 hardest positions to acheive and should deserve a 'bump' in points of some sort.

Just my .02
#3 - December 16, 2009, 07:39:51 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Good Feedback Jay...

What kind of bonus would you like to see?  5 Pts RGC, 10 GC?  or something completely different than that?

Keep the feedback coming everyone..
#4 - December 16, 2009, 03:34:20 pm
Michael J. Reimann

azkitch

I'm down with the ROY award. Not that I'm gonna vie for it...I doubt...Chix and Ribs only coming up, eh?
#5 - December 16, 2009, 03:50:57 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Jaybird

Good Feedback Jay...

What kind of bonus would you like to see?  5 Pts RGC, 10 GC?  or something completely different than that?

Keep the feedback coming everyone..

Yeah, something like that. You can't give too many points as to ruin the race but I think 5 and 10 would be reasonable....and of course just apply to the overall.
#6 - December 16, 2009, 04:43:21 pm

Thom Emery

Most of it sounds good
I personally would not favor
changeable team Head Cook
RoY is good for the sport
Categories is great
Min 3 contests Best 4 count is fine
How many contests do you expect?
Points are based on official team count?
 With no Chicken only teams

GC RC bonus is not needed in AZ
There are not that many events
to warrant the incentive

#7 - December 16, 2009, 06:22:32 pm
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:24:14 pm by Thom Emery »
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Mike (AZBarbeque)

What do you all think of contests outside of AZ being part of our Arizona Triple Crown of BBQ Points system?

Teams would still be required to compete in a minimum of 2 Arizona & 3 overall contests and their top 4 points would count.

Let me know as I am having out of state contests contact me asking if they can be a part of our Arizona Triple Crown of BBQ Points race for 2010..
#8 - December 24, 2009, 04:01:35 am
Michael J. Reimann

Thom Emery

LOL Yea I can think of two that would ::)

#9 - December 24, 2009, 06:24:52 am
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 06:26:31 am by Thom Emery »
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

force

I am all about bumping...... I think a minimum of 3 sounds right..... do GC and RC in KCBS get extra points?  would be interested to know....
#10 - December 24, 2009, 08:31:34 am
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

AzJohnnyC

Which states, and how much will it cost to post it on their forum? ;)  I thought this was something that was unique to Arizona, but maybe others will participate in more Arizona contests with this as an incentive. Good idea, but maybe a minimum of three Az events?
#11 - December 24, 2009, 09:00:54 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

smitty250

I agree with Johnny. Minimum of 3 AZ events.
#12 - December 24, 2009, 09:05:10 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Mrs. McFrankenboo

I also agree, AZ only.  Not fair to those who can't travel and it wouldn't be AZ triple crown anymore, it would become a smaller version of kcbs.
#13 - December 24, 2009, 09:30:59 am

RangerJurena

The hobby is expensive enough without having to travel across state lines to win the ToY for your home state. However, if we include one or two events in those states that could drive competitors to AZ, which I think is the end goal, to grow BBQ here in Arizona.

I'm pretty sure Thom already runs a "Western States Toy"?

However, to win, place or show, you have to cook "X" amount of events in AZ.  While the 3 National top teams were playing by our rules, they only participated in two Arizona events and took 3 of the top 10 spots.  Yes, I know... learn how to cook better.

As for RoY, totally against it since I'm no longer a rookie.    ;D  I think its a great idea and you should perhaps consider grandfathering in some of the teams that just started around the Pulte time frame, that did not cook the entire season.

#14 - December 24, 2009, 09:39:04 am
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

Jaybird

do GC and RC in KCBS get extra points?  would be interested to know....

I know GC does, not sure about RGC... but I think it does.

I think it should stay in state only...just like California. They tried the out of state thing there and it didn't work out.
#15 - December 24, 2009, 09:46:31 am
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:50:30 am by Jaybird »

Members: