AZ Barbeque.com

2010 Arizona Rookie of the Year (ROY)

Discussion started on

Crash

First off, I dont have a pony in this race.  Since I am not affected at all by what the ultimate decision is, here are my thoughts.

1) Keep it simple.
2) January 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010
3) Cooking at Prescott, Pulte and Tempe doesnt qualify you as a rookie team and makes it unfair to other new teams competing for the first time in 2010.
4) Keep it simple.

As much as it pains me to say this.....Thom is right.   ;)  There does need to be a line drawn somewhere.
#16 - January 19, 2010, 02:47:49 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

glenntm

First off, I dont have a pony in this race.  Since I am not affected at all by what the ultimate decision is, here are my thoughts.

1) Keep it simple.
2) January 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010
3) Cooking at Prescott, Pulte and Tempe doesnt qualify you as a rookie team and makes it unfair to other new teams competing for the first time in 2010.
4) Keep it simple.

As much as it pains me to say this.....Thom is right.   ;)  There does need to be a line drawn somewhere.

I agree...Let's keep it simple.  If your saying you must compete in at least 2 event to qualify for the 2010 ROY I'm fine with that..but if you didn't compete in 2 events in 2009 why wouldn't you qualify to be a rookie in 2010?

#17 - January 19, 2010, 02:58:42 pm

glenntm

Since this is the Major Leagues of BBQ lets see how other Major Leagues define rookies:

In order to qualify for consideration for the Rookie of the Year award in MLB, a player must have accumulated, prior to the season under consideration:

Fewer than 130 at bats and 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues or Fewer than 45 days on the active rosters of Major League clubs.
#18 - January 19, 2010, 03:02:58 pm

Crash

I agree...Let's keep it simple.  If your saying you must compete in at least 2 event to qualify for the 2010 ROY I'm fine with that..but if you didn't compete in 2 events in 2009 why wouldn't you qualify to be a rookie in 2010?

I see your logic and it works for me.  Just understand how other teams that have competed in 2 events might not view you as a "rookie". 

The simplest way to do this is to start fresh in 2010.  Just my opinion.
#19 - January 19, 2010, 03:09:22 pm
VRM Pit Crew

glenntm

I see your logic and it works for me.  Just understand how other teams that have competed in 2 events might not view you as a "rookie". 

Either way we don't really care.  For us we only competed in one event and had a great time.  Looking forward to 2010 and everything Mike has scheduled.  I'll make a side bet with Smitty to keep in interesting all year.
#20 - January 19, 2010, 03:13:53 pm

glenntm

Trust me Crash if you tasted our Pork and Brisket at Tempe you would gladly grant us "Rookie Status".  Not so good..
#21 - January 19, 2010, 03:24:56 pm

Crash

Trust me Crash if you tasted our Pork and Brisket at Tempe you would gladly grant us "Rookie Status".  Not so good..

That's funny stuff right there.  :D :D
#22 - January 19, 2010, 03:28:12 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Crash

Great discussion.  Please continue to give your input.
#23 - January 19, 2010, 03:36:45 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Thom Emery

If you don't allow any activity as a head cook in the year preceding
 You end up with Guys sitting out year end events waiting for the next years RoY
2 cook offs in the preceding year does not make you a old pro
#24 - January 19, 2010, 03:40:02 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

G$

2 cook offs in the preceding year does not make you a old pro

No,  but it does give you a tangible and distinct advantage over someone who has never competed.  It really does.   That first contest is pretty priceless, dontcha think?    ROY should be on an even playing field.   This is a simple one, snap the line for 2010 ROY somewhere.  The simplest (and most logical) is JAN 1, 2010.   If you want to snap the line at DEC 1 (or NOV 1) of 2009 to allow the "one or two contest" guys, well OK, but that is just a bit less elegant in my opinion.

My ONLY rational for thinking about supporting allowing the teams with minimal previous experience to be in the ROY race is to ensure there are enough teams to make it a race in the first place!  But again, you start a slippery slope there.

Good viewpoints all around.

#25 - January 19, 2010, 03:53:11 pm
G$

smitty250

Anyone that received points in any Triple Crown Contest before the "Summer Break 2009"  would be ineligible for RoY 2010. 

In other words, if you competed in Prescott, Pulte or Tempe the last few months of 2009, you would still be considered a rookie, if you competed in any Triple Crown Contests in the early part of the year then you are no longer considerd a "rookie."

I think Dean has a great suggestion.
#26 - January 19, 2010, 03:53:44 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

smitty250

I'll make a side bet with Smitty to keep in interesting all year.

You are on Buddy!! Better get the Backwoods smoker broke in before Havasu!! Do you need an electrical outlet for that thing? :D
#27 - January 19, 2010, 03:56:25 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Thom Emery

I have seen em sandbag waiting for the next year
We do not have the long off season they do in
most of the country Its a year round sport here
But yea ya need ta SNAP a line :)
Having so many events in Nov and Dec as AZ does
Please consider allowing two
If it is "best two scores" a dedicated team could start cooking in
August and win the RoY
#28 - January 19, 2010, 04:03:17 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

G$

If it is "best two scores" a dedicated team could start cooking in
August and win the RoY

And they'd deserve to, especially vs. a 'rookie' that's been cookinbg since October of the previous year..
#29 - January 19, 2010, 04:40:49 pm
G$

Crash

No,  but it does give you a tangible and distinct advantage over someone who has never competed.  It really does.   That first contest is pretty priceless, dontcha think?    ROY should be on an even playing field.   This is a simple one, snap the line for 2010 ROY somewhere.  The simplest (and most logical) is JAN 1, 2010.   If you want to snap the line at DEC 1 (or NOV 1) of 2009 to allow the "one or two contest" guys, well OK, but that is just a bit less elegant in my opinion.

My ONLY rational for thinking about supporting allowing the teams with minimal previous experience to be in the ROY race is to ensure there are enough teams to make it a race in the first place!  But again, you start a slippery slope there.

Good viewpoints all around.

Perfectly said.  100% agreed.
#30 - January 19, 2010, 04:48:06 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Members: