AZ Barbeque.com

WSM: 18.5" or 22.5"? That is the Question!

Discussion started on

jrod667

So, I'm looking to get a WSM, but I'm not sure whether I should get the 18.5" diameter one, or the 22.5". Personally, I like the size of the 22.5" WSM more because my favorite thing to cook for myself is ribs, and I like being able to throw 3 or 4 racks on the upper rack and have it all fit nicely without rolling them or any other trick. My only concern is that I heard the 22.5" is much more difficult to regulate temperature in. I read a review where the guy said he had a hard time keeping the heat below 240-250 degrees while using the minion method. Now, this is the only review I've read that had that complaint (but it was from a BBQer that has never steered me wrong before) so I was hoping someone on the board who actually has the 22.5" WSM could let me know what they think. Also, about how much charcoal does it burn through during about a 6 -8 hour smoke for some ribs?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
#1 - June 28, 2010, 09:37:32 pm

Cornbred

If you're going to compete or cook for a bunch of people get the deuce deuce. If not, stick with 18er. Easier to clean and move. Better yet get one of each 8) ;)
#2 - June 28, 2010, 09:54:30 pm

jrod667

If you're going to compete or cook for a bunch of people get the deuce deuce. If not, stick with 18er. Easier to clean and move. Better yet get one of each 8) ;)

I guess I should give a little more info: I regularly cook for 10 people, and every couple months do a BBQ for 20 people. During ASU football season I cook for 15-25 people every away game. I imagine I can probably get away with the 18.5" for those crowds since I manage with my small propane smoker. My biggest thing is I like cooking ribs. I'll do 6-10 racks for a crowd, and 2-4 any other time. I don't mind using a rib rack. How many racks can you fit on a 18er without trickery? I've seen a lot of pics with having to roll racks and other contraptions.
#3 - June 28, 2010, 10:21:58 pm

Cornbred

I've only cooked six on my 18er.  I'm pretty confident you could get ten+ on the lil sucker if you used rib racks and leaned them on each side of the racks. They would be touching and overlapping a bit. You're a nice guy! If I'm cooking for that many they get pulled pork.
#4 - June 28, 2010, 10:40:57 pm

n2dabluebbq

i would go for the 22.5 you know cause size matters(what wife says). hahaha no really i think it is much more versatile and has less tendency to be grown out of. my best friend has one and says regulating temps on it is not very difficult at all. has had burns lasting 8-10 hours on one load(i am not sure of the exact time).
as far as cleaning goes, it would seem to be not anymore difficult than a 18.5 one. after all its only four inches more.
 maybe jim(sweetpeppers) or someone like him will be here and will set you straight on this. he cooks a ton on his and i think he has the 22.5 or at least a couple of each.
#5 - June 29, 2010, 01:34:25 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

glenntm

22.5 would be my choice...
#6 - June 29, 2010, 03:26:38 pm

RudedoggAZ

I say 22.5... The price difference isn't that much and it is much easier to just get the larger one rather than having to buy and sell your 18.5 then buy a new one.
#7 - June 29, 2010, 03:38:20 pm

squealers

I agree, pay the extra few bucks and get peace of mind for your bigger barbecue days!
#8 - June 29, 2010, 03:47:07 pm
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

jrod667

Tom,

I see you have the 22.5" WSM, do you find it easy to regulate heat on it? That's really my only concern about the bigger WSM. I want the extra size, but I read one review where the guy said he had a hard time maintaining temperature below 250 degrees. Can you dial it in at 225 degrees and pretty much keep it there? If so, I think the 22.5" is what I will get.
#9 - July 01, 2010, 11:33:44 am

glenntm

The 22.5 is like money.  We can get at least an 8 hour cook @225 with a full load of charcoal.  Depending on the weather we can go several hours without adjusting the vents.  Great smoker, and very stable.  If we weren't using Backwoods we would have 4 WSM's.
#10 - July 01, 2010, 12:06:25 pm

Cornbred

i would go for the 22.5 you know cause size matters(what wife says). hahaha no really i think it is much more versatile and has less tendency to be grown out of. my best friend has one and says regulating temps on it is not very difficult at all. has had burns lasting 8-10 hours on one load(i am not sure of the exact time).
as far as cleaning goes, it would seem to be not anymore difficult than a 18.5 one. after all its only four inches more.
 maybe jim(sweetpeppers) or someone like him will be here and will set you straight on this. he cooks a ton on his and i think he has the 22.5 or at least a couple of each.

Please clarify who that someone could be?
#11 - July 01, 2010, 10:27:38 pm

jrod667

Well, I guess I'm sold. 22.5" WSM it is. I stopped by Barbecues Galore yesterday while I was out and about for work and spent a little bit of time drooling over the 22.5" WSM they had set up. Even though it's only 4" more in diameter, the thing looked huge compared to the 18.5" WSM. I bet you could fit twice as much meat on the thing thanks to that extra 4 inches. Also, they had a lot of fancy grills and smokers there, but there is definitely a sex appeal to those black porcelain covered weber products. Now, I just got to get the money saved up. Maybe it will be my Christmas present to myself. Someday I'll look into getting an even bigger smoking rig, but I think the 22.5" WSM will be a good starting place for me.
#12 - July 02, 2010, 09:48:58 am

Quiggs

We have 2 22's and have had problems with temps going to high.  But finally figured it out last weekend.  I start with only half a chimney lit coals and place in center minion method style.  leave ALL bottom vents closed intil temp stops climbing (around 212 last time) then crack open tiny amount until desired temp..
#13 - July 02, 2010, 09:56:06 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

AZSmoke

As a pretty new person to smoking (started in the last year), I've found the WSM 22 to be very easy to regulate and get great results with it, as long as I'm using charcoal.  If I use lump, I've had issues with high temps, but I think if I gave it a try now I'd be able to regulate the temps.  I'd get it and not look back, there is a ton of info on the web about these units, how to use them and  the minion method etc.

JMCRIG on here gave me some great info that has really helped me with the minion approach. Using a big coffee can, put that in the middle of your charcoal grate, load the charcoal around it, then when your charcoal is ready in your chimney, dump it in the coffee can.  Use some channel locks to pull the coffe can up, complete the setup of your WSM, and you're set for the next 8-10 hours.
#14 - July 02, 2010, 10:51:54 am

n2dabluebbq

Please clarify who that someone could be?

there are many here that are probably a ton more knowledgeable than i on these things, but Vince from RNQ comes to mind.
#15 - July 04, 2010, 07:22:26 am
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Members: