AZ Barbeque.com

New Smoker Build?!

Discussion started on

Pig Pen

So I am new to this smoking business and am already addicted! I have the opportunity to be given a old grill from a friend. So here's the deal. it's made of solid 1/8" steel. The cooking box is 4'x4' and 2'6" tall. I was wondering if I could convert this to a smoker easily? It has the charcoal baskets underneath along with dampers and an exhaust tube at the top. The one problem I see is the cooking grate is only about 1' above the coals. I'm afraid I would be grilling and not smoking at that point. Any suggestions would be great!! I don't know if I could put some sort of heat damper or try and make a firebox on the side or back of it?
#1 - November 20, 2012, 05:54:01 am

Mark

In its simplest form, put your fire on one side, meat on the other and you'll have a rudimentary smoker.

It would be helpful if you could post a couple of photos with your cooker open and closed. It sounds like an interesting project you have going. Good luck! ;D
#2 - November 20, 2012, 07:27:23 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Pig Pen

Here are a couple pics of what it is. It's roughly 4' wide by 4'6" deep and there is 1'6" from the bottom of it to where the cooking grates are. It has two dampers on the front, and the riser on the back is a pulley for a counter weight to get the lid open. they had charcoal baskets in the bottom but they were all burnt out and no good anymore.
#3 - November 20, 2012, 04:23:32 pm
Attachments:

Mark

Unique! Are you thinking of trailer mounting it?
#4 - November 20, 2012, 10:47:02 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Pig Pen

yeah that was my plan i picked up an axle and tires yesterday for $40 thought it would be the easiest way. What do you think about moving the smoke stack and making it a reverse flow?
#5 - November 21, 2012, 07:34:22 am

Mark

That sounds like a good idea, but I defer to our pit builder types to weigh in. I'm a ceramic cooker guy. I gotta kickstart a potter's wheel to make modifications to mine. ;)
#6 - November 21, 2012, 08:24:41 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Send this topic Print

Members: