Traeger TEX
And The New SMG Smoker
Weber Kettle
#16 - September 10, 2014, 06:59:09 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

KingCopa

Well just starting in to the smoking part of BBQ all I have is a Smoke Hollow 4 in 1 if you call it a smoker. Works really well but started the itch for a dedicated smoker  :)
#17 - September 15, 2014, 10:17:29 pm

bucaguy

just picked up 22.5 WSM on Saturday..
#18 - September 16, 2014, 05:43:39 pm
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

Maverickjct

Weber 22.5" and looking for something else to cater with. FEC100 or 120 maybe?
#19 - September 25, 2014, 09:23:00 am
I tell ya, my wife's cooking is so bad the flies pitched in to fix the screens!

AzQer

Look into the SMG Smoker, Just like FE different hopper and you can put 2 full pans side by side which you cannot do in an FE
#20 - September 25, 2014, 09:25:49 am
Mark Smith
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

bucaguy

you gonna let me borrow?
#21 - September 25, 2014, 08:22:43 pm
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

Maverickjct

you gonna let me borrow?
You need to move closer!
#22 - September 26, 2014, 05:37:22 pm

Maverickjct

Look into the SMG Smoker, Just like FE different hopper and you can put 2 full pans side by side which you cannot do in an FE
Searched for SMG came up empty?? Thinking Ole Hickory CTO might be better, can use for comps too.
#23 - September 26, 2014, 05:40:14 pm

toys4dlr

I don't know.  I just picked up a new to me FEC 120.  I  have only ran 20 lbs of Chicken through it, but was pretty happy with the results.   It even had a Smoke Daddy installed, so when my pork bellies are cured this coming monday, I will put a cold smoke on before turning it on.

#24 - September 27, 2014, 10:25:18 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I don't know.  I just picked up a new to me FEC 120.  I  have only ran 20 lbs of Chicken through it, but was pretty happy with the results.   It even had a Smoke Daddy installed, so when my pork bellies are cured this coming monday, I will put a cold smoke on before turning it on.

WOW, nice pick up Dave.  Did you find that locally??
#25 - September 27, 2014, 10:44:08 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AzQer

Searched for SMG came up empty?? Thinking Ole Hickory CTO might be better, can use for comps too.
Search Craiglist in Phoenix SMG Smokers
#26 - September 29, 2014, 10:47:48 am
Mark Smith
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

toys4dlr

WOW, nice pick up Dave.  Did you find that locally??

Yep Mike, picked it up in Mesa.  It was funny, when Karyn and I got there and met the seller, she's noticed that it was CBJ that has been to our restaurant and at several comps we cooked.  Small world.  Got the bacon going right now. 

#27 - September 29, 2014, 01:22:51 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

AzScott

Nice score David! How do you like it compared to the FEC 100? I've often thought about it for comps but I like my hot and cold zones in the 100 at comps.

So to throw my hat in the ring, I only have 2 large Big Green Eggs, 1 mini BGE, 1 FEC 100, a 800 gallon custom R&O offset and a 1000 gallon offset that I'm building with a buddy of mine across from our restaurant. The firebox is the last part and it's getting started tomorrow. I want a small offset like a Jambo Backyard for the house but that will be coming later when I actually have time to cook something at home. I'm also thinking that since all of these storms split 3 out of my 6 big trees in the backyard it may be time for an outdoor cooking area.
#28 - September 29, 2014, 11:16:45 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

AZRedneck

my old trusty and rusty is a little brinkmann offset from home depot.  great entry level unit that will satisfy most people's needs. that said, the firebox is small, and temp is really uneven from one side to the other.

have an electric lil' chief i picked up for $20. waste of time.

have a masterbuilt digital smoker. waste of money.

my newest baby is a trailer-mounted custom unit built by az bbq outfitters, here in tucson. actually, 2 smokers on one rig. one vertical offset, and the other is a variation of their scottsdale grill, with an offset firebox. again, i had them built to custom specs, but the large firebox on the vertical allows for (very) large logs that will burn for 12+ hrs unattended. the "grill" is basically a santa maria style grill with a hood. havent used it nearly as much.

word of warning about az bbq outfitters: a horrendous purchasing experience. if you are only interested in their standard sizes, then you will probably be happy as a pig in $hit, but if you want custom work, i would recommend doing your research into other builders. although a beautiful, well-built pit, i wont go back, even for a charcoal basket or a simple mod/repair.
#29 - January 21, 2015, 10:15:46 am

Fat Frankie

We have an ABES 48" cabinet, Myron Mixion Flat Rack 48" 2 UDS's, A custom 48'offset  with a 4ft grill from Dave Gonzales of AZ BBQ outfitters in Tucson, and looking at SBS midsize gravity fed. Also have my original 4' upright from 10 years ago, 1 egg and a Traeger, Willing to sell the Myron Mixon for the right price.  :-\
#30 - January 26, 2015, 10:00:03 am
Fat Frankie
Comming to a Competition Near you!

Members: