AZ Barbeque.com

Dacor Grill finally ready to rock

Discussion started on

Rob P

I picked up a used Dacor EOG36 grill that needed some serious TLC but was pretty damn cheap. It took 2 guys almost 2 days to clean it inside and out with steel wool and even then it could still use a little more detail work. The self tapping screws holding it together were rotted to hell and the spark electrodes literally fell apart in my hands.

then I had a 1.5" NG line ran from the meter to the grill because the house didn't have anything piped into the back yard. I wanted to keep it cheap and figured i could use the exercise so i figured I'd dig the trench myself... big mistake... next time I'd gladly pay double to have someone else do it. digging is a lot harder than i expected.

anyway, SWGas is coming tomorrow to tie in the line and i have Kobe burgers waiting to be cooked. its been forever since I've manned a grill so I'm super excited.

here are the pics... i really wish i had taken before pics so you can see how bad it was.

#1 - April 11, 2011, 06:22:41 pm

Rob P

anyone have any comments on the Dacor Grills? I can take negative opinions  :P

i tried looking for reviews and stuff online but didnt really come up with anything. i'm used to cooking on pieces of crap so this is a major improvements... its sad but i think i'm most excited about having a decently spread temperature zone and the built-in grill lights! man-o-man there are times i would have given a left arm for decent lighting and now i have it! yay
#2 - April 11, 2011, 06:27:46 pm

n2dabluebbq

looks pretty nice. can't say much else except that man those things are expensive new. $2300? wow. hope it cooks well for you.
#3 - April 11, 2011, 07:12:45 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Rob P

and that's just for the grill portion... the cart its sitting on is also $2500.

Picked it up for $600 on craigslist and put maybe another $200 into it to bring it back to life. Gas line was $1300 but i don't count that because I plan on branching off of it for other stuff like a firepit, heaters, spa, etc...

the line is getting tied in today so if you smell something awesome and hear something sounding like a little school girl giggling it will be me cooking on it for the first time.

coming to this site was possibly the worst thing i could have done though. I wasn't planning on getting a smoker for a year or 2 but looking at all the pictures you guys have on here i might have to bite the bullet and get one... the problem is, I wont have money left over to buy the food to cook on the thing
#4 - April 12, 2011, 06:50:13 am

andrewpeters

The grill is very good. Also it is very big so that a lot of food can be grilled.
#5 - June 18, 2011, 12:08:23 am
restaurant supplies

RandyRight

Nice work there! I have the same grill and love it but recently acquired a Weber 21" grill which I use to give that smoke flavor. They work well with each other. Enjoy your grill, it looks awesome.
#6 - June 18, 2011, 12:20:33 am

Rob P

well, I can now tell you after 2 months of rigorous use that this is the best grill i've ever cooked on. I initially thought 36" was going to be too small but man-o-man its a massive 36". This grill doesnt have any heat spots at all as the flame spreader evens things out perfectly. I rarely have issues with flame ups as well. only really happened once when i stepped away from grilling up some ABTs for the first time... which resulted in more of a mushroom cloud rather than a flare up... damn bacon grease.

I just got back home after a 2 week trip to MA where i cooked on a friends grill and I was downright miserable. I'm friggin spoiled now..

I just gotta figure out whats wrong with the IR burner. it sparks but wont light and my knowledge of IR burners is next to none. just gotta tear the damn thing apart
#7 - June 20, 2011, 01:32:03 pm

grizmt

well, I can now tell you after 2 months of rigorous use that this is the best grill i've ever cooked on. I initially thought 36" was going to be too small but man-o-man its a massive 36". This grill doesnt have any heat spots at all as the flame spreader evens things out perfectly. I rarely have issues with flame ups as well. only really happened once when i stepped away from grilling up some ABTs for the first time... which resulted in more of a mushroom cloud rather than a flare up... damn bacon grease.

I just got back home after a 2 week trip to MA where i cooked on a friends grill and I was downright miserable. I'm friggin spoiled now..

I just gotta figure out whats wrong with the IR burner. it sparks but wont light and my knowledge of IR burners is next to none. just gotta tear the damn thing apart
Try calling one of the forums sponsors, BBQ Island. They should be able to give you some info on IR burners and such and maybe get parts if you need.
#8 - June 20, 2011, 08:00:36 pm

Rob P

I'm not sure if IR Burners are supposed to be this way or not but after ripping the grill apart yesterday (stainless steel grills in 110 degree heat are HOT HOT HOT) i discovered that, unlike the other burner knobs, I need to push, turn, and hold in for a good 10 seconds. if i dont hold it in the gas wont flow.

the other knobs for the regular U burners i just push, turn, and release and the gas will still flow.

i dont know if this is by design or of there is something wrong with the valve.. either way its "working" and thats all that matters...

before i could only get the grill up to around 650 or so MAX temp.. yesterday i got it up to 700 after about 20 minutes of all burners on full blast.

My maverick ET-732 thermometer got up to around 650 before it began flashing HHH.
#9 - June 22, 2011, 10:52:11 am
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:54:54 pm by Rob P »

azkitch

Sounds like pizza to me! Pretty awesome. Dacor makes some nice stuff.
That reminds me...I'd better go get a lottery ticket. I haven't bought one in a while...
#10 - June 22, 2011, 12:51:07 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Rob P

I do have a pizza stone that i've only used once... only problem is that my dough stretching skills needs some work... didnt use a roller but the dough still came out like a cracker..
#11 - June 22, 2011, 01:00:24 pm

azkitch

Alton Brown did a show about making crackers. That's not altogether a bad thing!
#12 - June 22, 2011, 01:02:25 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: