AZ Barbeque.com

Need feedback before purchasing new cooker

Discussion started on

Firedog

I am new to azbbq and this forum so please go easy on me if I don't get the protocol or lingo correct. I currently have never done any comps but seriously thinking about it in the future so that leads me to consider lookking for a different cooker. I now have the GMG pellet pooper which has been pretty good but I would like something that doesn't require any electric to operate, and has a more robust flavor. I have been looking at the Yoder "Wichita", The Good One "Marshall" or just the simple WSM.  Do you fine people of bbq have any input that is constructive (or otherwise) that might help me make a good decision??? Thanks
#1 - March 30, 2012, 01:12:49 pm

jmcrig

What's your budget?
#2 - March 30, 2012, 02:51:40 pm

Harpo

Like Mark said, You have have decide how much you want to spend. Once you know that then you have a point to start looking at what you can afford. There is something for every budget out there. Good One makes a great smoker, I have one even tho it's for sale I love it.
#3 - March 30, 2012, 03:14:37 pm
I don't eat vegetables. The meat I eat, eats vegetables.
Grill Dome Ceramic Smoker/Grill
FEC 100

Firedog

Well there's a couple considerations:first-portability to comps and secondly the price. My budget is anywhere from 400 -2500 which would include all the models that i'm considering. It would be nice to spend at the middle range if possible.
#4 - March 30, 2012, 04:49:15 pm

jmcrig

I'd say go to BBQ Island and get a WSM. That way, if you decide down the road you want something else, you have plenty of value let in the WSM. Always a market for them. If you start with a big expensive smoker and later you decide it's more than you want or for whatever reason, you won't get near the return on your dollars. You end up with someone like me low balling you. I've got a Marshall, and a WSM. Still use the WSM and love it. Also, there are a lot of top tier teams out there cooking on WSM's. But, if you have more money than you need, buy Jerry's Good-One trailer setup. Just remember, I'll be waiting for you to tire of it so I can buy it cheaper. Not being mean, just being truthful. Good luck, and don't quite asking questions. ;D
#5 - March 30, 2012, 05:25:19 pm

PAT YOUNG

Ditto what MARK said , unless you will need something bigger to start for catering, peoples choice, etc. The WSM are inexpensive and very portable, they also turn out championship BBQ like no other pit in the price range!
#6 - March 30, 2012, 07:15:42 pm

Firedog

Thanks all for the input,really appreciate it! Another thing to consider is that I do company cookouts for my employees,if I get the 22"WSM how ,any racks of st Louis style racks can I get on at one time? I have about 16 -20 people to feed? I like to cook em flat instead of on a rack. That is probably the only reason I was considering the two bigger cookers.....well maybe not being entirely truthful here, The Marshall and the Wichita do look pretty interesting and would be nice to own one of them ;)
I am somewhat interested in Jerry's rig but a little more than I want to spend right now.
With the WSM's I could definitely transport easier to comps, how about the stokers for them, which one is best, the guru or the IQ?
#7 - March 30, 2012, 07:51:24 pm

jmcrig

OK, dependent on how you're going to move your smoker/smokers comes into play. For twelve hundred dollars you could have three 22.5" WSMs. But there again, that's your choice. As far as controllers, you should learn your smoker first. If you don't understand your smoker, and something happens to your controller, you could loose your cook. I have a stoker, which controls all my pits. But there again, don't need a controller on my Marshall. As for how much you can cook on a WSM, 6 racks of ribs?  
#8 - March 30, 2012, 09:17:30 pm

Crash

OK, dependent on how you're going to move your smoker/smokers comes into play. For twelve hundred dollars you could have three 22.5" WSMs. But there again, that's your choice. As far as controllers, you should learn your smoker first. If you don't understand your smoker, and something happens to your controller, you could loose your cook. I have a stoker, which controls all my pits. But there again, don't need a controller on my Marshall. As for how much you can cook on a WSM, 6 racks of ribs?  
^^Nailed it.

As for draft control devices.....Stoker all the way. 
#9 - March 31, 2012, 12:12:03 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

G$

WSM(s).  Get a 22.  If you want more capacity, get another.  If you want to start fine tuning, then get an 18.  You will still be spending prudently, and have three portable, flexible cookers for $1000. 
Stoker if you go the ATC route. 
Tightly trimmed, you can get 6  st louis spares on a 22.  That is pushing it though.  I jusyt love the 22 for cooking packers and ribs though.

#10 - March 31, 2012, 11:20:49 am
G$

Firedog

Hpthanks guys, Well then its off to HD I go to check to see if they have the 22"WSM and maybe pick one upas I already have a 18" That I haven't used in a while but that's about to change tomorrow. All thhe advice seems to point toWards the WSM 's so they must be pretty dang good. I do need to get used to the smoker again but after that which stoker is better the guru or the IQ?
#11 - March 31, 2012, 12:42:38 pm

jmcrig

There are two units out there, the stoker and the guru. I like the stoker best, but that's not to say the guru's are not without merit. Go to both their sites and do your research. See which one fits your own needs.
As I said before, if you out grow the WSM's. They hold their value very well. You never see one on Craig's List for more than a day. You can move up.
#12 - March 31, 2012, 12:56:54 pm

Mark

There are two units out there, the stoker and the guru.

I'm guess I'm old-fashioned because I use a palm pilot. I put my palm on my cooker and if it ain't hot, I add more fuel. 8)
#13 - March 31, 2012, 02:28:17 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AZWildcat

My Stoker has had some issues ...and cust service is not the best. That being so, when I set the temp at 225, and go to check it its between 224.5 and 225.5 degrees. Its that good. And I run 3-4 pits simultaneously with the Stoker. As a one pit only unit, i also have a Auber Instruments  ATC. Does a real good job too. Check out http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/stokerguru/stokerguru1.htm. they review all the units available.
#14 - March 31, 2012, 03:37:01 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Crash

Stoker vs. Guru is basically a Ford vs. Chevy debate.  You'll need to find the one that you think will work best for your needs. 

Personally, I'm a Stoker guy and I have had great customer service from them.  I should note that the customer service was on the front end since we have never had any problems with our Stoker.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.
#15 - March 31, 2012, 08:51:14 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Members: