AZ Barbeque.com

The Good One Marshall

Discussion started on

emarf

Hi I'm looking at getting a Good one Marshall my local BBQ store just stated carrying them ,I wondering if anyone owns one that could give some info pro's and con's thanks
#1 - October 07, 2010, 06:35:50 am

birdie64

buy a pellet smoker
#2 - October 07, 2010, 07:20:12 am

KidCurry

I believe Harpo on here cooks on a good one smoker...I spent some time at a comp last year talking to Chris Marks about his goodone smoker.  They do seem well built.  Hopefully harpo will chime in with his thoughts.
#3 - October 07, 2010, 08:02:14 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Harpo

I bought the Good One Chuck Wagon and will be cooking at the Queen Creek for my first comp. I don't know were you live but your welcome to come be and look and ask questions. I'm impressed the way it holds a steady temp. Once it's dailed in you make very few and very small adjustments. I've cooked 14+ hours on 1 fill of about 30 lbs of lump. I think you would be happy with one of them. Birdie said buy a pellet, I have a traeger Texas and like it to. Smoke flavor not as good as the Good One but the start it and forget and go to bed is nice with a pellet. Good luck on what ever you decide on. I have some pics of the Good One in my profile.
#4 - October 08, 2010, 07:55:40 pm
I don't eat vegetables. The meat I eat, eats vegetables.
Grill Dome Ceramic Smoker/Grill
FEC 100

n2dabluebbq

have heard some good things about the good one. and unless you like cooking in a oven(set it and forget it), stay away from the pellet poopers.
#5 - October 09, 2010, 10:22:27 am
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Harpo

have heard some good things about the good one. and unless you like cooking in a oven(set it and forget it), stay away from the pellet poopers.
There is a time and a place for pellet poopers. Mine saved me in Aug when we had the brisket comp. It poured so hard the night before I would have never got the Good One fired up. I pull it right up next to the back door and was still able to cook. But I agree better flavor with wood.
#6 - October 09, 2010, 03:01:34 pm
FEC 100

n2dabluebbq

i can understand the thinking of how rain might hamper a cook. but just so you know, it can be done. hahaha

#7 - October 10, 2010, 07:55:56 pm
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:16:35 pm by n2dabluebbq »

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Harpo

The secret is have your fire going before the down pour. There was no way I could ever start a fire. Now that I'm starting to compete I'm sure I will meet some not so nice weather.
#8 - October 10, 2010, 08:24:53 pm
FEC 100

n2dabluebbq

having the fire before the rain is nice that's for sure. but you can still do it. just have to start with some charcoal and then small pieces of wood and work your way up to your normal wood size.
and yes with comps, always look to cooking in crap weather, that way when its nice you get extra fuzzy. hahaha
oh and i hope that the surgery is healing well for ya.
#9 - October 11, 2010, 09:26:27 pm

chefrob

i've cooked on the marshal @ BBQ Island for a demo and have never cooked on one before i have to say it turned out great results. it did use some fuel but the 2 turkeys i did were outstanding and the smoked hot dogs were killer. as for the size, there is plenty of room and with the slide out trays the configuration versatility is great. just my free $.02........
#10 - October 29, 2010, 09:57:20 pm

Members: