AZ Barbeque.com

Anyone used the Onyx Oven?

Discussion started on

Tom72

Hi All - since I have some time before I'll be able to get myself set up, I've started doing some research.  I've done pretty much all of my cooks on cheap offset smoker set-ups, and I've gotten pretty good at it, but I'm thinking I'll probably go with a dedicated smoker and a dedicated grill rather than try to work with something that tries to be both. 

I came across the Onyx Oven while doing my research, and it looks awesome.  I was just curious to see if anyone on here owns one of these or has had the opportunity to use one and see what their thoughts were.  I'm looking for something around that size that uses charcoal (I'm not a fan of the electric smokers). 

If any of you have recommendations as far as something comparable, feel free to chime in.  I'm completely open to ideas at this point and I want to be sure I know what I want before I'm ready to get going.  This is proving to be a little harder than I thought, because I haven't found many places around here to go look a these in person.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

-Tom
#1 - June 16, 2011, 03:11:51 pm
Always remember that you are unique and special...just like everybody else.

glenntm

Have not seen one but very similar to the Backwoods and Pitmaker Vault.  Same concept. 
#2 - June 16, 2011, 04:29:00 pm

n2dabluebbq

am not familiar with that brand. i have however, heard many good things about a hastybake charcoal smoker. i saw that the onyx is camped out around the 1k mark. i also saw that hasty has models in the same range and higher. take a look and see what you think...... http://www.hastybake.com/charcoal_smokers_charcoal_smoker.html
#3 - June 16, 2011, 05:18:14 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Tom72

Thanks for the replies!  I really like the Backwoods too...they're what I was looking at originally before I saw the Onyx.  Since it's made by BBQ Guru that makes the temperature control devices, I figured it would be a quality product also and it made me curious. 

I hadn't heard about the Hastybake smokers...I need to check those out too.  It keeps getting more confusing!
#4 - June 17, 2011, 03:14:34 am

n2dabluebbq

sometimes the information highway has a lot going on.
#5 - June 17, 2011, 08:21:53 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Thom Emery

They have sold more in the East
I would ask this question on the Brethren
#6 - June 18, 2011, 04:04:42 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

glenntm

Welcome Tom to the Backwoods family.  Tom purchased one of the Backwoods Party's and will be picking it up next weekend.  It will server him well as a backyard cooker until he makes to move to competitions.  We still have one left in inventory. 
#7 - June 27, 2011, 05:22:41 am

Tom72

Thanks to Tom and Paul from I.A.B. 30 BBQ for getting me into a new Backwoods Party!  You guys were great and answered all of my questions...you really helped to make this an easy decision.  After seeing the Backwoods in person, I forgot all about the Onyx!
#8 - June 27, 2011, 11:15:13 am

AzScott

Sweet!  Those Backwoods are great smokers.
#9 - June 28, 2011, 11:01:03 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Members: